There needs to be a Gibson Les Paul Custom added to the standard line

Plant man

Reaction score
I know this might be controversial but I think getting customs in the hands of more guitarists by adding it to the Gibson USA lineup can’t be a bad thing and plus reducing the price would do wonders for the Les Paul custom. Just my thoughts

Plant man

Reaction score
What would be even better is that they reduce custom shop prices to standard prices. Think about the increase of custom shop guitars being sold!
Yeah maybe put a couple of reissues at $3200 or $3300.

ARandall

Reaction score
They went to the Custom shop because they were selling poorly in the first place - and had been doing so for a long time. This streamlined not only the USA lines but also put the complex multiply binding installation into the hands of the most skilled workers.

So the idea is not controversial, just a VERY bad business proposition.

AJK1

Reaction score
I know this might be controversial but I think getting customs in the hands of more guitarists by adding it to the Gibson USA lineup can’t be a bad thing and plus reducing the price would do wonders for the Les Paul custom. Just my thoughts
Nah, don’t worry about that, just get an Epiphone LPC as the good folk over on that Section will tell you they are as good as a Gibson….

moreles

Reaction score
Nah, don’t worry about that, just get an Epiphone LPC as the good folk over on that Section will tell you they are as good as a Gibson….
Close, but not quite. It's "better than a Gibson" over there in Imaginationland. The best post in that zone, IMO, was the one stating that the owner's Epi played better than his friend's genuine '58.
Despite the evidence provided by a vast market aggregating the individual decisions and actions of literally millions of sellers and buyers, individuals still can't resist explaining how everyone is wrong, or how this or that is way more or less valuable than everyone thinks, or that nobody respects Kiesel or Reverend or Fill in the Blank the way they should. Now I'm going to go play my old LP/SG Custom that I own because I'm living in the past and just haven't hepped up to the fact that at this very moment Joe B is working with the Epi magicians to produce something 10X better for 10% of the cost of mine. I really need to pay more serious attention to advertising.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gibson is in the business to make money........... Gibson doesn't care how much you want to spend.

They know people will pay what they ask...... if they don't they will crush them (guitars they don't sell) with a loader. (or a track hoe)

qYrjvjCt5kYfMG9dE7dQGA.jpg

Last edited:

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
From a marketing standpoint this would dilute the brand. Why would they want cheaper versions that are almost as good? They already have the base custom shop (hence custom Les Paul) and varying levels of reissues that go up in price from there.

There is the custom classic model with rosewood fretboards that are really nice, and of course the Epiphone line.

Reaction score
Close, but not quite. It's "better than a Gibson" over there in Imaginationland. The best post in that zone, IMO, was the one stating that the owner's Epi played better than his friend's genuine '58.
I have to say, and stay with me on this, in the 1970s I has a Shaftesbury Black Beauty copy that I loved. One evening I got the chance to play my Shaftesbury and a genuine Black Beauty through the same Marshall amp and was really unimpressed. Where was the bright, clear tone that I was used to from my own guitar? Stay with me...

About five years ago, after buying the 2016 LP Classic that will stay with me forever, I did a nostalgic bit of research into the Shaftesbury LP copies and finally understood. Under those humbucker shaped covers on my beloved Shaftesbury lurked a pair of single coils. When I played it off against the Gibson Black Beauty, I might just as well have been comparing an LP to Tele :rofl:

In my defence I was very young and had, it turned out, never played a humbucker equipped guitar in my life until the moment I picked up that Black Beauty :oops:

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd love to see at least some piece of evidence there was a spike in LPC prices the moment they moved production to the Custom Shop.

Also this isn't what dictates used market prices for Les Paul Customs.
Every Gibson era has a following.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if they did......

Once you buy a cheaper "USA" production model,.... your going to gas for the Custom Shop model anyway..... so what the fuck. Save your pennies and go full Custom.

Shit ain't cheap..... get a better job, do something that will get you there than snivel that they're too expensive.

searswashere

Reaction score
Even if they did......

Once you buy a cheaper "USA" production model,.... your going to gas for the Custom Shop model anyway..... so what the fuck. Save your pennies and go full Custom.

Shit ain't cheap..... get a better job, do something that will get you there than snivel that they're too expensive.
When i was snivelling about lpc prices, it wasnt the sticker price - it was the 20% increase between dec 31 21 and jan 1 2022 in the canadian used market (4k-5k). I could find multiple listings for $3500 or so and magically the same guitars (other sellers) were now $5200. Too close to the new tag of $6200 so I skipped all that and got my 68ri. Worth it.

Overture

Reaction score
When i was snivelling about lpc prices, it wasnt the sticker price - it was the 20% increase between dec 31 21 and jan 1 2022 in the canadian used market (4k-5k). I could find multiple listings for $3500 or so and magically the same guitars (other sellers) were now $5200. Too close to the new tag of $6200 so I skipped all that and got my 68ri. Worth it.

I got a little lucky and got my 20' Custom before the crazy price hikes. I bought my 20' Custom in December of 20. $6400 Canadian after tax. Here we are not even 2 years later and the same guitar is $7399 BEFORE tax. I dodged the $800 "white is harder to paint" tax, too.

searswashere

Reaction score
I got a little lucky and got my 20' Custom before the crazy price hikes. I bought my 20' Custom in December of 20. $6400 Canadian after tax. Here we are not even 2 years later and the same guitar is $7399 BEFORE tax. I dodged the $500 "white is harder to paint" tax, too.
As soon as I saw $7399 i knew yours was white haha.

My used 2022 68ri was 7k to my door. Coa says March 2022. Its not going anywhere.

Der_Kaiser

Reaction score
Even if they did......

Correct.

As long as there’s a “better” version out there you’ll never be satisfied.

I’ve learnt this the hard way.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Not a fan of how high they’re currently priced and would like it lowered but I don’t think reducing them to a regular USA standard price makes much sense either. And as per another thread, I don’t think simply moving it back to USA lineup will impact the cost.

The whole idea of the Les Paul Custom is that you’re getting an upgrade from the standard and something more “premium”. It’s like getting a Lexus over a Toyota. Reducing the cost to sell more of them will just make it equivalent to a standard, cheapening the brand, and it won’t be anything special anymore. If you make a Lexus cheaper, and to cut costs remove many of the premium features and upgrades that Lexus is known for and sell it alongside Toyotas it’s really nothing special anymore.

And going into features, multiply binding, ebony fret boards, and those fancier inlays cost do more in manufacturing….so it has to cost at least a little more than a standard to account for that and may not be possible to manufacture them at the same price as a standard without cutting corners in other areas.

Rather than make LP Customs into a USA Standard, I would really like to see the Classic Custom brought back. That’s a fantastic and cool middle ground where guitarists can get a cheaper Gibson USA standard type guitar with some LP Custom features. Sort of best of both worlds.
Or bring back the old studios with the ebony boards! Of course I’m biased and love mine haha.

2-E997-D01-65-C7-443-B-A305-338-F91185-F68.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Threads