There is no need for vintage anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dica

Reaction score
Listen to this.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8V8BCZ29sI]Original'57 Les Paul Goldtop versus Gibson VOS Reissue Les Paul Goldtop R7 - YouTube[/ame]

Case closed.

This one did it for me or should I say changed my mind.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpfs1M4HV6s]The Doug and Pat Show Blindfold Test - YouTube[/ame]

Who

I'm back. Back in the New York groove.
Reaction score
Case reopened..... People ain't buying vintage purely for the sound.

I'll go so far as to say they aren't buying vintage PRIMARILY for the sound. There's a lot more emotional involvement than what hits the eardrum.

Dica

Reaction score

I'll go so far as to say they aren't buying vintage PRIMARILY for the sound. There's a lot more emotional involvement than what hits the eardrum.
Nope the case stays closed as im clearly posting about the sound.
But on the other hand I totally agree with you.If the intent is having a original guitar then I understand im tough purely after the sound and feel.

THDNUT

Reaction score
Yep, I agree. I loves me re-issues. :dude:

yeti

Reaction score

People are buying vintage because they want vintage. there's no justification that holds up in court, just preferences. i recently bought a 1925 Weissenborn style one, is it better than a good replica? I doubt it, but I wanted an old one, end of story. Same thing goes for Les Pauls, anyone who says that the old ones sound better is a fool, IMHO. Just admit that you want it because it's cool.

LanEvo

Reaction score
These newer Custom Shop "VOS" models seem to be pretty amazing.

MiniB

Reaction score
The real vintage one sounds better, although they're pretty close.

zhivago

Reaction score
We don't need to experience things for ourselves anymore. We have youtube :thumb:

jaik

Reaction score
Its all a matter of personal taste. I've got a 57 les paul special and a 55 goldtop & I've played dozens of the modern gibson factory reissues and heard 100s, hoping to find 1, and none of them are close enough in sound or feel for me; & honestly while I have heard/played a couple exceptional ones that are great on their own terms; most of them were terrible plasticy sounding things to my ears & hands in person. If you rat up the amp enough that you are hearing it instead of the guitar then you can get close-ish. But that's like saying there are Epiphone les pauls sound the same as a 59 Burst when plugged into a Boss DS1 on YouTube; and therefor Bursts are worth the same as an Epi. Not that a good tone can't come from a cheap chinese instrument, of course, or a nicer modern reissue, or a cigarbox diddly-bo etc , to each their own.

I've had better luck with the recent chambered Standards than the Reissues because they aren't trying to be something they aren't. Cool efficient modern pieces.

I'm sure my opinion is probably as controversial a statement as the original post, but hey E Pluribus Unum ; I hope we all can get our hands on the right tool for what we each need.

Dica

Reaction score
Its all a matter of personal taste. I've got a 57 les paul special and a 55 goldtop & I've played dozens of the modern gibson factory reissues and heard 100s, hoping to find 1, and none of them are close enough in sound or feel for me; & honestly while I have heard/played a couple exceptional ones that are great on their own terms; most of them were terrible plasticy sounding things to my ears & hands in person. If you rat up the amp enough that you are hearing it instead of the guitar then you can get close-ish. But that's like saying there are Epiphone les pauls sound the same as a 59 Burst when plugged into a Boss DS1 on YouTube; and therefor Bursts are worth the same as an Epi. Not that a good tone can't come from a cheap chinese instrument, of course, or a nicer modern reissue, or a cigarbox diddly-bo etc , to each their own.

I've had better luck with the recent chambered Standards than the Reissues because they aren't trying to be something they aren't. Cool efficient modern pieces.

I'm sure my opinion is probably as controversial a statement as the original post, but hey E Pluribus Unum ; I hope we all can get our hands on the right tool for what we each need.
Why is the original post controversial? If you listen to the links provided.
Its just no controversion. It think this is a major case of lemmingry.

My agenda is of course that everyone especially ME can have vintage tone for days without that much cash. Makes me very happy :D:dude:

billy

Reaction score
One thing that youtube can't convey is the FEEL!!! Massive difference between Vintage/Replica's than Reissues.

It's like saying no there's need for women anymore because of these....

:cool:

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Dica

Reaction score
That's just bullshit I should not need some special kind of burst earphones or burst super speakers. The sounds I fell in love with were thorugh shitty speakers and computer speakers and what not.
I always heard Peter Greens sound anyway.
This youtube crappy sound BS is just BS.

Colnago1

Reaction score
One thing that youtube can't convey is the FEEL!!! Massive difference between Vintage/Replica's than Reissues.

It's like saying no there's need for women anymore because of these....

:cool:

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Dude, pretty sure that the pic you posted is NSFW. Funny, but not cool.

Jimmi

Reaction score
People are buying vintage because they want vintage. there's no justification that holds up in court, just preferences. i recently bought a 1925 Weissenborn style one, is it better than a good replica? I doubt it, but I wanted an old one, end of story. Same thing goes for Les Pauls, anyone who says that the old ones sound better is a fool, IMHO. Just admit that you want it because it's cool.
I disagree. I like the feel and sound of a really good vintage guitars more than a really good modern guitar including the historics. Better is subjective. The vintage guitars as a rule are more open to my ear and sound more like what I want them to. Add to that, they are the real thing. So even if they were exactly alike, I would pay more for the actual item. Am I ever going to shell out 100k for a 58-60 Burst? Not sure about that as the vintage guitars I have tick a lot of the boxes.

I do agree that people decide what guitars are worth to them and buy accordingly. Hard to have this discussion and everyone have an open mind. I think the best people to comment are those who have owned both....not played both but owned both. It is hard to make a judgement having only played one for a few mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads