Malikon

RIP Atomic Punk
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I will always recommend building your own for economic reasons, and the ergonomics of building have advanced tremendously even within the last five years. But if you're going to buy a prebuilt, at least buy bespoke. The prebuilts in stores are absolute shit. A service like the one NZXT offers will at least get you a very good (and very tricked out) computer. Nvidia's new line of GPUs is promising a massive increase in performance per dollar, and AMD is due to unveil their new CPUs and GPUs next month. By Christmas, a new computer will be incredibly powerful for a quite reasonable price.

I was checking out these ones:

but I'm just kicking tires, I want a ps5 and other things first, I probably wouldn't get a new PC until next year, and by then things/specs/prices will change.

Fun to window shop though. (and I will bookmark your link)

Howard2k

Reaction score

Malikon

RIP Atomic Punk
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
@OldBenKenobi

pretty cool

was expecting to see different games than: RDR2, GTA5, Tomb Raider,... but they do look good. RDR2 in particular looks very good.

I remembered last night I bought Escape from Tarkov like 2 years ago (not thinking about how it would need keyboard+mouse) .. so I installed that again last night and played one match ... and almost immediately died, lol. It's going to take a lot to get used to using keyboard+mouse, I really prefer a controller, and some games just don't support a controller. They need too many buttons.

I have a gaming laptop I use for ... just about everything, but I have to admit I sort of have the bug now to get a desktop.

rxbandit

Reaction score
I have a gaming laptop I use for ... just about everything, but I have to admit I sort of have the bug now to get a desktop.
I knew you'd see the light eventually :thumb:

If you ever get a desktop, try some games with a ultrawide monitor eventually - incredible experience!

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
It seems like a rule that the dominant console of a generation is followed by a ridiculously overblown, overpriced and overrated sequel that takes years to repair.

The PS3 launch was absolutely horrendous, by the time it came out everyone already had a 360 and the PS3 just did not stack up. Nintendo followed up their hugest success with their biggest flop, the Wii U. And Microsoft followed up the 360 with the ridiculous Xbone.

Now granted, the pattern also holds that the companies will learn from their mistakes and course correct next time. The PS4 used the PS3's late-game momentum to take back Sony's crown. Nintendo finally delivered the console everyone had been wanting since the Gamecube. And even Microsoft followed up their own lukewarm console debut with the 360.

So maybe it's time for Xbox to strike back and Playstation to take a step down.

The thing is, the One was quite a good console at launch and even better in the S and X versions. Graphically knocks the PS4 into a cocked hat, not to mention backwards compatibility. The problem wasn't the hardware but the marketing, which did just about EVERYTHING wrong- including hardly mentioning that it was a game console.

Howard2k

Reaction score
The thing is, the One was quite a good console at launch and even better in the S and X versions. Graphically knocks the PS4 into a cocked hat, not to mention backwards compatibility. The problem wasn't the hardware but the marketing, which did just about EVERYTHING wrong- including hardly mentioning that it was a game console.
I remember that. My recollection (they’re not quotes) from the launch period was “PS4 - game console” and “Xbox - appliance that plays great games”. There was a short period of time at the start where they seemed to paint it as more than a game console but then backed off.

I had a 360 and was leaning to Xbox but in the end the PS4 just seemed to have better content.

Microsoft have some great potential with Gamepass though. Even before the Bethesda aquisition, and especially after.

I was thinking about backwards compatibility today. I have a stack of 360 games and I thought for a split second about playing those on a new gen console but then started chuckling quietly to myself. It’s kinda cool I guess but would I want to play them instead of current or previous gen? Very unlikely. I didn’t miss it moving from 360 to PS4. I actually have my 360 but I don’t remember the last time I powered it on. Probably time to sell it!

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
@OldBenKenobi

pretty cool

was expecting to see different games than: RDR2, GTA5, Tomb Raider,... but they do look good. RDR2 in particular looks very good.

I remembered last night I bought Escape from Tarkov like 2 years ago (not thinking about how it would need keyboard+mouse) .. so I installed that again last night and played one match ... and almost immediately died, lol. It's going to take a lot to get used to using keyboard+mouse, I really prefer a controller, and some games just don't support a controller. They need too many buttons.

Red Dead was engineered to be extremely demanding to the point of unplayability on current hardware at maximum settings. It was designed so future generations of hardware would unlock more out of the game.

Well it goes back to 6th gen, where the PS2 was the weakest console of the bunch but was the console of that generation. Xbox has a lot going for it, and its media integration was very cool, but the PS2 and PS4 seemed to strike that perfect balance as your all-rounder console.

Malikon

RIP Atomic Punk
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Red Dead was engineered to be extremely demanding to the point of unplayability on current hardware at maximum settings. It was designed so future generations of hardware would unlock more out of the game.
that's crazy but also pretty cool.

I remember years ago hearing that Crysis was the game that no one's computers could actually run.

PeteK

Reaction score
Crysis might have started the original meme. Seems like forever ago there was the whole "yeah, but can it play Crysis on max settings?" thing going strong.

jkes01

Reaction score
I haven’t played GTA since the first one. I am huge fan of RDR2 so this should be pretty decent.

PeteK

Reaction score
Doesn't surprise me to see RDR2 on the most demanding graphics vids. I played it on a regular PS4 and it was one of the best looking games I've ever played. You know the PC master race guys will take that to the extreme and make it more gooder

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
Doesn't surprise me to see RDR2 on the most demanding graphics vids. I played it on a regular PS4 and it was one of the best looking games I've ever played. You know the PC master race guys will take that to the extreme and make it more gooder
It is honestly insane how good it looks on PC. And the best part is running it at a decent framerate, instead of chugging at 30fps like on the PS4.

tjbitt

Reaction score
Anybody try to log in to playstation store today? Been trying all day and keep getting maintenance msg try again later.
Just curious.:dunno:

Howard2k

Reaction score
It is honestly insane how good it looks on PC. And the best part is running it at a decent framerate, instead of chugging at 30fps like on the PS4.
Rockstar and PS5 (Or Xbox Series) has the potential to do something amazing.

As good as GTA:V was, RDR2 was a step ahead in terms of graphics. Obviously, because GTAV was a previous gen game. i think it’s pretty amazing to consider what Rockstar did on PS4 with RDR2. If Rockstar maintain momentum, GTA6, being a step up again from RDR2, will be amazing.

Latest Threads