The VH concert that I would have LOVED to have seen...

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
That made me think.... kinda funny, I fall in the VH with Dave side I guess, but whatever reason, through out the years I've kinda grown to appreciate VH with Sammy, and I think that goes with a lot of the old school VH guys. You know, he's kind of like the drunk uncle that just annoys the shit out of ya at first, and then you start to tolerate them, then after a while they're fun to be around.......sometimes. Sammy just grows ya. lol
I liked Sam in Montrose and solo, but he killed what I liked about VH. Now that’s not to say I didn’t like some of what he produced with them but it wasn’t my VH. It was also when Sam joined that the realization that EVH wasn’t the reason I liked VH but Dave was. That was shocking.
Oh yeah. He had to move in with Eddie at one point. Women can suck. Not the Stormy Daniels kind of suck either. Even Eddie had some money issues.......he hated the road but touring was where the cash was.

Sammy was a pretty savvy buisness man. The VH boys not so much. So when Sammy made all that Ca Bo wa Bo cash and tequillia, it drove Eddie insane because he felt it was his music that started it all.

He stripped Mike Anthony of all his VH rights and here he is rich as heck.......and Alex is bumming around in people's houses.

Drove them crazy. So they went back to DLR who wasn't so buisness savvy. Kicked Mike to the street and made Wolfe some of the touring money. Eddie even started painting guitars again on his pool table for cash.

He moved to Peavy then Fender all for the cash. Starting selling effects......Eddie went completely commercial.

But man he resented How rich Sammy and mike got. I think this past few years Eddie sees there is more to life then money. Started talking again with Sammy. Shame
Dave is a pretty smart guy. He promoted the band, got them better gigs and of course the brown M&Ms. I believe he still owns a mansion or two in Pasadena so I don’t think he was hurting for cash, and I think VH’s publishing was a four way split So there was that income stream, Dave always seemed like a guy who used money to do stuff with rather than accumulate stuff.

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
David Lee Roth blows, and I mean hard.. As soon as Sammy came they became a band, rather than a great guitar player with a side show chick singer. They're basically a somewhat talented kiss in the 80s. Sorry, but it's the truth.

Furthermore, Sammy might be the most under appreciated rocker of all time.....

Also if we're going to keep it real, Mahlmsteen was EVH before EVH. He's just completely fuckin boring and unlistenable.

All of the statements above are factual.

I've been a huge VH fan and literally like the both equally. They wrote better songs with Sammy imho, but were the better live/party band with Dave. 1984 is one of my fave albums, but then again, so is 5150.

Granted I've only been able to see them with Dave twice, and 4x with Sammy, they're all great shows. I am glad though that I saw them in 2007 with the first Roth reunion as he could still sing then. In 2012 and 2014 DLR was terrible and they really seemed like they were mailing it in from that point.....

And yes Sammy is under appreciated imho....

Reactions: Who

Tone deaf

Reaction score
...Steve Vai is another excellent example of this, an amazing player who's used to being without a singer to tell his story for him.
I agree that Vai needs/needed his own unique vocalist. DLR with Steve Vai was a terrible show ('86/'87ish) and I was embarrassed for Vai. It was a VH cover band and Vai was pretending to be EVH.

Reactions: Who

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I liked Sam in Montrose and solo, but he killed what I liked about VH. Now that’s not to say I didn’t like some of what he produced with them but it wasn’t my VH. It was also when Sam joined that the realization that EVH wasn’t the reason I liked VH but Dave was. That was shocking.

Dave is a pretty smart guy. He promoted the band, got them better gigs and of course the brown M&Ms. I believe he still owns a mansion or two in Pasadena so I don’t think he was hurting for cash, and I think VH’s publishing was a four way split So there was that income stream, Dave always seemed like a guy who used money to do stuff with rather than accumulate stuff.

Great quote from DLR's father "My kids are probably the most important things in my life."

fry

Reaction score
DLR with Steve Vai was a terrible show ('86/'87ish) and I was embarrassed for Vai. It was a VH cover band and Vai was pretending to be EVH.
I must’ve been at a different show. I remember the “Eat ‘em and Smile” show as being completely awesome. That was a kick ass band, and they were killing it when I saw them.

Spot

Reaction score
this one in '78

and I would have wanted to be standing right there taking that picture......

FB_IMG_1602489714442.jpg

Latest Threads