The Unofficial Official Anything Bacchus/Momose/Deviser Theory, Photo & ID Thread!

currypowder

Reaction score
New Sonix Strat day. For those that aren't aware, Sonix is a store brand made by Deviser. I've seen them described as similar quality to Bacchus, Momose or somewhere in between.

I just received this yesterday. It didn't take long, but I'm officially in love. The neck, for me anyway, is perfection. It's very similar to the soft V carve on the Classic Player Baja Tele, but just a hair wider at the nut (1 11/16" vs 1 5/8") and a similar thickness (15/16"). My only beef with the Fender neck was that it was just a bit too narrow for my taste. The Sonix corrects that. And the finish is somewhat satin, which makes for smooth action up and down the neck.

The tone is pure 50s, bright, clean and ringing. I'm guessing that the pickups are Momose Twang 50s. But whatever they are, I like them in this guitar. The only thing I'm going to need to do is to rewire the tone controls to add in control for the bridge pickup.

Condition-wise, it has a few minor bumps, bruises and scratches. But nothing out of the ordinary.

I was thinking that this was part of the Sonix "High Spec" line. However, after further investigation, it's part of the regular spec line (it's right there on the headstock". But I'm at a loss as to what could be better. It has a beautiful 1 piece ash body and at least a top coat of lacquer. Maybe the high spec line has a flame neck and full lacquer. But whatever the difference may be, I'm not missing it. I do believe that this particular guitar is basically a "regular" Momose strat, handmade, top notch materials and electronics with a lacquer topcoat.

This is my 3rd Sonix guitar and they have all been fantastic. I still own one other (a Goldtop w/ minis) and only sold the other (a 60s style strat) as the neck was a little thin for my taste. I would not hesitate to pick up another if available.

Now I need to figure out if the Momose "regular" 50s tele line has the same neck profile. If it does I will be looking hard to pick one up at some point, especially if I can get it for roughly what I paid for the Sonix.

scott 351 wins

Reaction score
Is that a 1 piece body and is it Poly coated or Nitro? Nice looking Strat by the way!

currypowder

Reaction score
Is that a 1 piece body and is it Poly coated or Nitro? Nice looking Strat by the way!
Thanks!

As far as I can tell the body is 1 piece and has at least a nitro top coat. I haven't had a chance to look super close at the body for seams (been too busy playing it) but there's nothing obvious. Same with an acetone test. Under a blacklight it looks like lacquer, but the color of the body is throwing me a little. I will definitely confirm over the next few days.

scott 351 wins

Reaction score
Thanks!

As far as I can tell the body is 1 piece and has at least a nitro top coat. I haven't had a chance to look super close at the body for seams (been too busy playing it) but there's nothing obvious. Same with an acetone test. Under a blacklight it looks like lacquer, but the color of the body is throwing me a little. I will definitely confirm over the next few days.
I haven't really looked into Sonix guitars yet and I'm not really a Strat guy, but are Sonix guitars on the same level as the Tokai Springy Sound Strats and what's the average price for a Sonix Strat?

currypowder

Reaction score
Since I have no experience with Tokai bolt ons, I can't really speak to a comparison there.

But Sonix guitars are Devisor made, so will be on par with MIJ Bacchus and Momose. The 3 Sonix guitars that have come through my hand have "Custom Craft" on the headstock, consistent with the Momose line. Also, the 4 digit stamped serial number is consistent with Momose. So you may draw the conclusion that they are rebranded Momose guitars. But since I've never had a Momose, it would be hard for me to be confident in that assessment. Regardless, whether they are similar to Bacchus, Momose or in between, they are all fantastic. It would be hard for me to imagine something "better" in terms materials, build quality, playability and/or tone.

All 3 Sonix guitars I have or had were under $1K used. I just don't see them come up for sale too often. There's a Sonix strat on YJ right now.

alainguitars

Reaction score
Just saw a listing for a Bacchus LPJ mango guitar from 2014. Part of a limited run. Anyone have any feedback on these? Is mango a decent wood, compared to korina?. 2014 is that made in Japan?.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Just saw a listing for a Bacchus LPJ mango guitar from 2014. Part of a limited run. Anyone have any feedback on these? Is mango a decent wood, compared to korina?. 2014 is that made in Japan?.
I bid on one a few weeks ago but lost. They were made in the factory in the Philippines. I had read two reports here of people who got them back then and they had backbowed necks so something to be aware of, but that doesn't mean they all do. If it looks good to you then consider the fact it has stayed where it's supposed to be now for 6 years and is probably fine :)

GammyBird

Reaction score
None of the Mango Series were made in Japan, all were MIP. Probably decent guitars but I notice the asking price a lot of times is well above the original selling price.

Tulip

Reaction score
Any views on this Bacchus, seller states no serial number, likely 1990s? Not a lot of detail but seems in good condition, quite a high price so he seems to think it is special in some way?

Attachments

GammyBird

Reaction score
Seems a tad high IMO. Thing about that is, it might be a while before you see another one like it. Personally, I wouldn't pay that for it unless you have had the chance to play it. You might love it and it would be worth the money....or not.

Izzy Stradlin

Reaction score
I saw this BLC 140 a few years ago. I was not that sure of the quality... But why ? I dont know. I've already owned several vintage series and classic series. Sorry I can't help you.

Latest Threads