The Ultimate Clean Machine?

jwinger

Reaction score
What's your favourite amp for the sweetest clean tones and why?

I'll shoot...recently restored 71 deluxe reverb, vintage jbl d120f. Nothing can touch it on cleans. Even my 65 Bandmaster, although that probably had the edge overdriven. But clean, the deluxe is a hard to beat. And with the JBL it's LOUD...no issues keeping up with the drummer. Mega clarity, chirpy tone with huge dynamic range

And the rest of that if you didn't find that too much of a snore fest lol

ARandall

Reaction score
The typical clean machine is the Blackface/early silverface Twin Reverb, as it takes a long time to move to OD. The Deluxe is a great option but will thicken into drive much earlier in the volume range.
The other one would be the Roland JC 120. Different clean though - more pristine and clear (some might say sterile)

Meatwad

Reaction score
The cleans on my Fender Prosonic in the class A setting are the best I've ever experienced with single coils.
It's just the quintessential sound in my head with a Strat, especially combined with the tube driven reverb.

.....And yeah....the Roland JC 120 is most definitely a clean machine, but a whole different flavor.
I had one a long time ago, and kinda wish I still had one.

sonar1

Reaction score
Ampeg V-4 and a D120 was cleanest I ever had.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Original Roland Blues Cube. Super clean like the JC120, but not sterile.

chef

Reaction score
Quilter tone block 202. Big fender type high headroom cleans ( I use for reggae) even with ‘buckers.

Caretaker

Reaction score
Roland Jazz Chorus
Fender Excelsior
Carvin 16 watt(forget the name)
Just about any Yamaha amp.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
it also helps that you are using the right guitar. my clean is a chinese made Subzero 2x6L6 not the best by a long shot but its what i have.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The typical clean machine is the Blackface/early silverface Twin Reverb, as it takes a long time to move to OD. The Deluxe is a great option but will thicken into drive much earlier in the volume range.
The other one would be the Roland JC 120. Different clean though - more pristine and clear (some might say sterile)
Sterile is the ultimate clean.
I like recording direct. If I use an ultra clean, uncompressed solid state mic preamp (with hi Z input) it will be so clean....not a hint of harmonic distortion and it will sound.....sterile.
If I use a tube mic pre or even something like a Neve, suddenly there is some warmth (which in reality is technically distortion)....although you would never call it distorted. But it has weight, juiciness.

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best clean machine I ever owned was a Mesa Express 5:50

Conquistador17

Reaction score
My Tim Schroeder DeeBee 7 is the most amazing clean amp (and pedal platform) I've ever heard!

OBX351

Reaction score
With the right guitar my '68 JMP50 and 4x12 cab sounds pretty sweet at low vol. But so does my Bruno Underground 30, chimy and creamy. Louis Electric made a Gattone that was based on mid/late tweed Fenders. I always thought it sounded like bassman and or an early jtm45. Anyway that amp had a really nice sounding clean tone. But it's all wasted on me, unless i am playing la grange....

Cory

Reaction score
Currently own a Bogner 20th Shiva (KT88’s w/ reverb) - mainly purchased it for its distorted tones, but I have to say it has one of the best clean channels I’ve ever heard - the built in reverb with independent controls for each channel is the icing on the cake - still in complete awe of this amp even after owning it for a few years now - haven’t felt the itch for anything else since the day it arrived. Love it so much that I built a matching pedalboard and a custom footswitch with soft-click switches.
E3DE40EB-EC87-4087-A487-E1E08DB04AE0.jpeg

Latest Threads