The turkey is out to thaw...

DarthPaul

Reaction score
...and the Bumpus Hounds are on full alert.
20221121_090725.jpg

DarthPaul

Reaction score
I prefer smoked turkey. It stays moist and juicy. Cherry or applewood chips for the smoker.
Time and temp?
Was gonna do a Martha Stewart recipe, but maybe I should stoke-up the ol' Pit Boss instead!

Big Dik

Reaction score
Time and temp?
Was gonna do a Martha Stewart recipe, but maybe I should stoke-up the ol' Pit Boss instead!
I use a Brinkmann Water Smoker. It's almost 50 years old. I just keep repainting it. I use charcoal and the cook time depends on the size of the bird. A 12-15 lb bird takes about 8-10 hours. I get up early to get it going and using the right amount of charcoal is also a key factor. The smoker came with cooking guide booklet, and is a big help.

LtDave32

Let Desert Star be your next guitar!
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wife is going to bake 10 pies, along with all the regular stuff for the local homeless.

She and a team of three girls she put together are going to serve it in multiple locations, sort of a makeshift "meals on wheels" from one end of town to the other on T-day.

Then she's going to work her graveyard shift at the Pilot.

We're going to have our Thanksgiving on Saturday, her day off. If you can call that a day off.

..this is why I nut-up on anyone taking a stab at her, even in jest. She deserves the best I can give her and more. And not one grain of BS from this place.

She's going to make out like royalty on Xmas, I can tell you that..

Roxy13

Reaction score
I made a pie once. A cherry one. I had a bf at the time who insisted I make a pie from scratch for Christmas for him and his kids.

For many women I'm sure that wasn't a big deal, but I had never made a pie. I don't have kids and no one wants to come out here for holidays and what not so I'm not much of a hostess either.

I really considered cheating and buying one, I really did. There is an art to making a pie and I knew that gene was missing in me. But, I did it and made the pie. It was the ugliest freaking pie to ever come out of an oven. I was so embarrassed. I called my then bf and told him I was going to have to throw it in the garbage or give it to the pets :rofl: He said no, no, no, you bring it here, those kids are looking forward to it. I was like, you don't understand. They are not going to want this.

Well, I brought it. And the kids looked terrified but we ate it anyway and you won't believe it but it tasted really good :laugh2:

However, I don't ever want to make another one.

DarthPaul

Reaction score
Yet another reason why you're always told to let the bird thaw in the fridge.
Besides the one about developing nasty bacteria by thawing it on the counter.

And the doggos.
It's in there...
IT'S IN THERE...

BlankinLoud

Reaction score
Wife is going to bake 10 pies, along with all the regular stuff for the local homeless.

She and a team of three girls she put together are going to serve it in multiple locations, sort of a makeshift "meals on wheels" from one end of town to the other on T-day.

Then she's going to work her graveyard shift at the Pilot.

We're going to have our Thanksgiving on Saturday, her day off. If you can call that a day off.

..this is why I nut-up on anyone taking a stab at her, even in jest. She deserves the best I can give her and more. And not one grain of BS from this place.

She's going to make out like royalty on Xmas, I can tell you that..

Your wife is a hero.

BlankinLoud

Reaction score
I made a pie once. A cherry one. I had a bf at the time who insisted I make a pie from scratch for Christmas for him and his kids.

For many women I'm sure that wasn't a big deal, but I had never made a pie. I don't have kids and no one wants to come out here for holidays and what not so I'm not much of a hostess either.

I really considered cheating and buying one, I really did. There is an art to making a pie and I knew that gene was missing in me. But, I did it and made the pie. It was the ugliest freaking pie to ever come out of an oven. I was so embarrassed. I called my then bf and told him I was going to have to throw it in the garbage or give it to the pets :rofl: He said no, no, no, you bring it here, those kids are looking forward to it. I was like, you don't understand. They are not going to want this.

Well, I brought it. And the kids looked terrified but we ate it anyway and you won't believe it but it tasted really good :laugh2:

However, I don't ever want to make another one.

I'm laughing because my mother taught me how to make pies when I was a kid. Didn't matter that I was a boy....."It's your turn to cook supper, I'll show you how, but you're doing it."

I learned the hard way that it's incredibly easy to make an ugly looking pie, yet difficult to make a bad tasting one.

Delicious Strawberry Rhubarb pie that looks like it's going to jump out of the pie pan and eat your face?

Yeah, I've done that.

Latest Threads