The Super Duper "Is this a good deal?" Single Cuts Helper Thread

cvrle1

Reaction score
Local deal?
$1500 is fair (IMO depending on condition) if there are no issues.

This one is in Europe, and with really really crappy Canadian Dollar, it makes it even more expensive. Hate that US -> Yen is 114 while CA -> Yen ~90 It sucks lol (not that they accept Yen in EU, but that was side note)

Kerosene Hat

Reaction score
Hi there!

New to the site and forums. A friend pointed me here, so I've been reading a lot of things here over the past few days. There's certainly a lot to learn about MIJ LPs. :)

So, as this thread seems to be for asking if something is a good deal, I'd like to direct your attention here:

Is this a good deal?

I'm really not comfortable with ordering via a Japanese site, so I'm trying to find something on Ebay that's reasonable (I'm in the USA).

This particular listing looks like it's in beautiful shape, has a valid "MIJ" stamp (I believe - maybe someone can confirm.. the numbering system is still a bit confusing to me), and is (just barely) in my price range.

I would love to get something a couple hundred dollars cheaper, but I'm wondering if the quality and price of something like this listing would be considered good?

Thanks!

What's up, M?

How's that Tokai sound? Glad you found MLP helpful - see you at a jam here soon...and bring that LS98, you know it wants to play some Chains!

B

J-Dizzle

Reaction score
HAHA wow...
This might be the all time new champ.
****ing aluminum volute? Shit yes please! :laugh2:

Gibson

may_04_06-img600x600-1423278235oa5pru7816.jpg

That looks suspiciously like a Greco with a bodgy'd up Gibson logo.

I actually own that exact model of Gibson LP Special and that one just doesn't look right.

Lumi71

Reaction score
That looks suspiciously like a Greco with a bodgy'd up Gibson logo.

I actually own that exact model of Gibson LP Special and that one just doesn't look right.

maybe the whole headstock was swapped to make it look like a Gibson:shock:

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Reaction score
A few different Matsumoku made guitars used those tuners in the 70s however, including Ibanez.

J-Dizzle

Reaction score
A few different Matsumoku made guitars used those tuners in the 70s however, including Ibanez.

Agreed, but its another pointer to the guitar being MIJ with a dodgy Gibson logo.

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Reaction score
A beauty Ornetts....highest Greco model and the equivalent to a GM5.
Same aged gold like my Ornetts, killer guitars!!!!

Greco Premium Series EG-250

All lacquer goodness...best gold in the biz IMO.

box-s-zrgaqadeknlh3g64fp5yxfhkii-1001
box-s-zrgaqadeknlh3g64fp5yxfhkii-1001

jimmyjames

Reaction score
A pool of gold :cool: Is that '90s mate? Truss rod nut beside neck pup?

wulfman

Let the good times roll....
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It is from 2011-2012, the last Greco batch of LPs.

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Reaction score
Yep, take note of how amazingly well Kanga does their fret ends in those pics.
I would sell my Mojo machine before selling my GM5S

cvrle1

Reaction score
You got to be joking. Rick is out to lunch with tat price. EG-450 (even though it's super real) for $2500? Wow

Eigen

Reaction score
SERIOUSLY Rick? LMAO...this is NOT a good deal folks.
Same as the one on Yahoo currently.

Jeez...and I thought the one on Yahoo was overpriced. :laugh2:

Also answers my question from the other thread, I guess flamed sycamore wasn't exclusive to the EG450 as stated in catalog.

cvrle1

Reaction score
I couldnt resist and sent message to Rick, telling him that this is way too high price for low end SUper Real model.

Here is response:

Hey Marko, Dan here from Reverb, I'm helping Rick with his shop. I assumed this wasn't one of the lower end ones just because its a set neck, and also, it just feels very solid and well built. We do obviously price these guitars above the norm since there are a lot of collectors who just want a piece of Rick's collection which has a lot of value in and of itself. If it doesn't sell at this price, we'll slash it in a few weeks. Thanks!

jimmyjames

Reaction score
The linked one has the era-correct logo and headstock inlay, could be a 600C or 800C. I don't think the catalogues pictured are '79, unless different headstock treatments shown for export models :hmm:

Latest Threads