The Straw Might Have Broken The Camel's Back - Band Rant

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Personally (and for his own good) I'd insist on moving the drum recording to a different studio. Chances are he'll have the same issues there, but that will take you out of the middle.

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude nobody can mic drums its nearly impossible.

First off - You need a good room acoustically and know how to tune them. Overhead is best. Otherwise just program drums. Makes no difference in modern music where most shit is Normalized and Maximized all the way. Unless you’re going for a live sound or have good chemistry, then keep at it!

But part of this story doens’t make sense-

Why are you buying drums for somebody in the first place? Do you really think that just because something costs 2K it’s going to sound good? Did you ask for their input before buying the drums?

I’ve been in this exact situation, a guy bought a brand new expensive kit that didn’t fit the band, and it’s like why? You can’t just throw money at shit and expect it to work!

Sounds like this guy is a bit of a perfectionist and you don’t want that?

Maybe someone has to take the lead at some point, or nothing gets done?

If you like the music keep at it! I feel like you should be able to work out probs between yourself and your bandmates.

Or ya know, post bitchy threads about bandmembers online (behind their back?) and get yer damaged ego stroked...

I bought the kit to build a rehearsal studio, and you're 100% correct. More money does NOT lead to higher quality. He's fine with the drums for rehearsals but again you're 100% right, the room and everything matters and there's nothing I can really do about that since it's my house. Well there's a few things I can do but I'm not going to modify the whole room spending time and money on that so this dude can just be unhappy with it.

I bought the kit about a year ago and yes, other members including this guy were involved. I'm just here to vent my friend. I've already discussed with the band, saying exactly what I'm saying here and it's been one hell-of-a awkward group chat lol. I do however need to be reminded how much of a pushover I am for even letting it get this far. That's mostly why I'm here:eek2:

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally (and for his own good) I'd insist on moving the drum recording to a different studio. Chances are he'll have the same issues there, but that will take you out of the middle.

This is exactly what I've been trying to do for months but the idea keeps getting shot down and I can't figure out why. I'm the type of guy who gets a professional do to a more difficult task. I also don't want to deal, or be responsible for shit. It's my dream scenario no one is interested.

Last edited:

Gfunk_Minor

Ooooops
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn, I didn't know Neil Pert was such a dick to work with.
Or did you have John Bonham in the studio?
Max Weinberg?
Cozy Powell?
Jeff Porcaro?
Dave Garibaldi?
Carmine Appice?
Steve Gadd?
Bernie Purdie?
Clyde Stubblefield?
Danny Carey?

No???

Tell that dude to make sure the door don't hit 'em where the dog shoulda bit 'em
Mind if I abscond with the "Dog shoulda bit 'em" comment...?

TheWelder

Reaction score
I'm just relieved that after a year we finally have our answer to this burning question...and that answer is 'yes.'

Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 4.28.12 PM.png

rxbandit

Reaction score
This is exactly what I've been trying to do for months but the idea keeps getting short down and I can't figure out why. I'm the type of guy who gets a professional do to a more difficult task. I also don't want to deal, or be responsible for shit. It's my dream scenario no one is interested.
They aren't interested because then they run out of excuses :hmm:

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
Question--If you are using a DAW why is there an issue with drum sounds? Replace them with whatever samples you want, its the norm in the industry these days. What the original kit used sounded like means nothing these days

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
Sounds like a childe to me-your band backing him up-fire the lot-get hungry guys. My drummer has been with me 6 years. We, luckily record with guys who are drummers also. Much like guitar tone- do not get "cute" -capture FEEL of song-move forward. Baby Stuff tees me off.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Tell him to buy his own house, build his own rehearsing/recording room,
buy his own recording gear, buy his own microphones, buy his own drum,
record the drum parts and see if it sounds better.

:dunno:

That guy is an ass.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
I bought the kit to build a rehearsal studio, and you're 100% correct. More money does NOT lead to higher quality. He's fine with the drums for rehearsals but again you're 100% right, the room and everything matters and there's nothing I can really do about that since it's my house. Well there's a few things I can do but I'm not going to modify the whole room spending time and money on that so this dude can just be unhappy with it.

I bought the kit about a year ago and yes, other members including this guy were involved. I'm just here to vent my friend. I've already discussed with the band, saying exactly what I'm saying here and it's been one hell-of-a awkward group chat lol. I do however need to be reminded how much of a pushover I am for even letting it get this far. That's mostly why I'm here:eek2:

Cool Man, I’d love to play on such a kit!

Good luck sounds like you have a lot of highly motivated individuals, maybe butting heads.

Good problem to have, even better to solve!

LP121

Reaction score
Dude nobody can mic drums its nearly impossible.

First off - You need a good room acoustically and know how to tune them. Overhead is best. Otherwise just program drums. Makes no difference in modern music where most shit is Normalized and Maximized all the way. Unless you’re going for a live sound or have good chemistry, then keep at it!

But part of this story doens’t make sense-

Why are you buying drums for somebody in the first place? Do you really think that just because something costs 2K it’s going to sound good? Did you ask for their input before buying the drums?

I’ve been in this exact situation, a guy bought a brand new expensive kit that didn’t fit the band, and it’s like why? You can’t just throw money at shit and expect it to work!

Sounds like this guy is a bit of a perfectionist and you don’t want that?

Maybe someone has to take the lead at some point, or nothing gets done?

If you like the music keep at it! I feel like you should be able to work out probs between yourself and your bandmates.

Or ya know, post bitchy threads about bandmembers online (behind their back?) and get yer damaged ego stroked...

You have a contrarian position?

That's odd.

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update:

So I have decided to part ways with the band after nearly 2 years. I told the drummer and band leader that if he apologized and admitted he was out of line with his comments, then I'd stay. But he came over last night and took home whatever items he's left behind here over the last year. He gave me a half assed apology saying something like "sorry if you misunderstood what I said" which just ain't good enough. "Sorry I was being a little inconsiderate and under appreciative" is what I wanted to hear. Apparently the other two members (bass player and singer) who also don't possess all of their own equipment were offended enough to back him up. I said I'd still be here to talk it out with them if they wish. They posted a half-assed ad for a guitar player in the Craigslist classifieds that just says "looking for guitar player contact for more info" and nothing else. It wreaks "disgruntled band" and isn't inviting or appealing at all.

The fact they're willing to let me walk away proves all my concerns and grievances were 100% true. They don't respect me, my generosity, or opinion to a point where they're willing to let me walk rather than listen to what I have to say. It is also proof they don't possess the maturity to think logically or rationally. By losing me, they lose the following:

- Free rehearsal space equipped with everything including drums, amps, mics, PA, and everything needed to record.
- Someone who almost always does their homework and knows all 25 original songs + 2 dozen covers.
- A guy who is willing to make financial sacrifices for the band, big and small.
- A dependable player who is committed, always on time, and has his shit together.
- The biggest "yes man" you might come across.
- A decent player who contributes to the writing process and genuinely enjoys playing.
- A laidback guy with no ego (although it might not seem like it now).
- A friend they can trust who actually doesn't hate them, even though this is arguably the most childish shit I've ever seen at the age of 30.
- Someone their age (this matters to them) and guitar players ain't getting younger.

I might sound like an arrogant asshole now but I assure you I'm really not this way. I'm not the best musician in the band but they absolutely lose someone who I believe they can't replace. They have no place to rehearse and no guitar player and their only hope right now is Craigslist, and we all know what usually comes via the Craigslist Classifieds. Time wasters, people who are only somewhat committed, or much worse. Assuming they find a player who is willing to learn all their OG's and covers while simultaneously putting up with their shit, they'll need to spend $$ on rehearsal space if they want to practice with live drums. I know few people who enjoy paying money for rehearsal space if they don't need to. A place to play is a deal breaker for a lot of respectable players. You lose the flexibility if you rent and you have to have your ass at the studio on time and only have so much time after you get setup. The situation is also worse if you don't have a drummer with their own set. If I'm a guitar player looking for a band, I'm not drawn into this situation at all unless I'm in love with the tunes.

I don't think this is over, but I could be wrong. I expect them to cool off, realize how ridiculous they are acting and how much of a pain in the ass it's going to be to find a reliable player/person to learn all the material, let alone a player who will provide them rehearsal space. I believe they will eventually reach out to talk it over, and I'm deciding how I would potentially approach this situation. Ya might think it's easy to find guitar players in the classifieds but not always. A friend of mine left a band over 2 years ago and I still see posts and ads for his replacement LOL.

Last edited:

Latest Threads