The Straw Might Have Broken The Camel's Back - Band Rant

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
On one hand I can get someone not being happy using someone else’s set, but you move on and get things done with what you got.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
Me too, and what bothers me the most is the gas lighting from him and the other members, acting like I was so out of line for telling a grown adult to take some responsibility and do the recording himself. It's like since I provided them a rehearsal space, they expect me to do everything for them. Provide them with gear, help with their recordings, etc. I'm not asking they make a statue for me, but I'd appreciate them not being inconsiderate assholes.

Few people appreciate something that’s free to them that cost someone else plenty.

Chester Drawers

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your woes.

As a favour, I”ll drum for you. Where should I send my rider? ;)

Drummers, the electricians of the music world… :laugh2:

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
Dude nobody can mic drums its nearly impossible.

First off - You need a good room acoustically and know how to tune them. Overhead is best. Otherwise just program drums. Makes no difference in modern music where most shit is Normalized and Maximized all the way. Unless you’re going for a live sound or have good chemistry, then keep at it!

But part of this story doens’t make sense-

Why are you buying drums for somebody in the first place? Do you really think that just because something costs 2K it’s going to sound good? Did you ask for their input before buying the drums?

I’ve been in this exact situation, a guy bought a brand new expensive kit that didn’t fit the band, and it’s like why? You can’t just throw money at shit and expect it to work!

Sounds like this guy is a bit of a perfectionist and you don’t want that?

Maybe someone has to take the lead at some point, or nothing gets done?

If you like the music keep at it! I feel like you should be able to work out probs between yourself and your bandmates.

Or ya know, post bitchy threads about bandmembers online (behind their back?) and get yer damaged ego stroked...

Chester Drawers

Reaction score
Is this him?

E0A1F775-E9FC-4C1A-8FD6-9D0057325063.jpeg

Yeah, it’s definitely the kit.…

pnuggett

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Professional help is definitely needed.

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the guy should play harmonica.... It'd be quicker and easier for everybody to figure out he's a dipshit...
Would save mondo time and effort....

- Happy with it until he wasn't? - Pretty much sums it up.... He is his own worst enemy....

I have said 'put it in the can' multiple times.... Once it is IN the can, leave it in the can unless something is bad wrong....which would have lit itself up BEFORE going in the can.... I could nitpick for days and days and days on about any recording....most anybody could.... Diminishing returns.... You can carve to the point on a project that you fark up the works....

I'm one of those that with coffee and listening to good monitors could stare at a spectrum display for hours on end to figure out the root cause of an artifact I hear....but you have to be able to reach up, pull the cord, and stop the train....and put the project in the can...

Good riddance of those guys...

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Lead, follow, or get out of the way."

A very profound statement. If one sits behind a board, whether live or not, one must assume some level of authority.
I am one that at the onset, I will volunteer "tell me what you need for a good show and within reason, I will make it happen.'

--- within reason --- I get to evaluate that part..... Most times no issue, but on occasion, someone may need a slight adjustment. One must be able to 'pull the brakes cord' when it is time... Just is....

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Stepvan

Reaction score
That's not joking, no; to rip on somebody's stuff, that's mental.
I'm thinking the drums sounded fine, all along, months ago, all of it.
Probably just pissed he had to use your equipment because he didn't have any work so he could buy his own

rxbandit

Reaction score
There's a reason great drum sounds are so valued and sought-after, it's not an easy thing. I've recorded drums quite a bit over the years - in everything from a basement to a great studio. The single most important thing (besides the player) is the room. Also up there is knowing what kind of drum sound you're going for and researching how to achieve it. Otherwise you'll always be struggling. Sounds like this guy just will always have excuses and nothing will ever be his responsibility... nightmare.

rogue3

Reaction score
Another vote for cutting him loose...

HardCore Troubadour

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
sampling....it makes even shit sounding drums like yours better.

:cool2:

I can not fix the drummer.....

Latest Threads