The Straw Might Have Broken The Camel's Back - Band Rant

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it's time for another band rant! I got my own rehearsal studio complete with a PA, amps, and a drum set. To do some DIY recordings, we've had our drummer come over to do them at my place. I'm good with recording every instrument other than drums, so I've been doing my best to help our drummer get a decent recording here since he doesn't have his own set.

A few months back we spent a whole day recording drums. It's been a learning experience for both of us and it's been very time consuming. Every time we run into an issue of some kind, our drummer proceeds to blame a piece of my equipment. Sometimes he blames my recording software (I'm using Logic), other times he blames the walls in the room for not being able to achieve a sound he wants. We've tried different mic placements and even his own DAW for recording and he's still not happy with it. I suggested we try and have the drums recorded professionally but he insists we keep trying to do it ourselves.

Flash forward a few months and we recently tried recording again. We made sure to use his DAW and I let him set the mics the way he wanted them. After several hours, we get one recording he's finally happy with. I end up recording my guitar parts over it and our bass player did the same. The drummer wanted to mix the songs so he went ahead and did that. He said he really liked how the drums sounded and how we was happy with the recording......until he wasn't.

This morning he says after listening to the recordings again, he now changed his mind and is not happy with how his drums sound. He had the audacity to tell me my $2000+ drum set wasn't high quality enough to get a good recording, even going so far to say things like "your cymbals are shit" and I was steaming. I told him "Listen, you need to figure out what you want your drum to sound like on the recordings for our songs. I've provided all I can in order for you to accomplish this. I highly recommend seeking a professional studio so they can help you achieve your goals and get the sound you want. I'll even help pay for it if it's an issue". I also told him at the end of the day, he's a full grown adult responsible for his own recordings and equipment. I'm not his mom or his dad. Apparently this pissed him and the other band members off, telling me I was "too mean". Meanwhile, the dude is constantly telling me my equipment is the problem and taking 0 responsibility for the recording. He's using mine for a reason. I told them if telling a bandmate he needs to be an adult and be responsible for recording with his own gear is a problem, then maybe this band isn't for me.

I'm just somewhat shocked how disrespectful some people can be. The other bandmates keep telling me he was "just joking" when he said my drum set was shit, and how I shouldn't take it personally. Well, it wasn't a very good joke and yeah, I'm going to take it personally when I'm trying to do the guy a favor and he shows 0 ounce of appreciation. The real joke is a 35 year old musician not having his own gear to do his own recordings. Mic drop.

Last edited:

fett

I can see for miles and smiles.
Platinum Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Did they damage your famous guitar? :hippie: :run: You have every right to be indignant. The dude is an ingrate. Tell him where he can stick his sticks.

Last edited:

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wouldn't have gotten that far with me..... He or I would have been a gone ass.... With other band members backing the dweeb, I for sure would have been a gone ass... Life's too short to put up with dimwits....

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wouldn't have gotten that far with me..... He or I would have been a gone ass.... With other band members backing the dweeb, I for sure would have been a gone ass... Life's too short to put up with dimwits....

Yep, I'm just a pushover. Also I like these guys on a personal level and like the music we make, but it's gotten to a point where me not wanting to deal with crap like this outweighs those other things.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
dod_sdrum_automatic_drummer_pedal_1516206993000_1384763.jpg

Zungle

Reaction score
Back when I was doing a decent amount of home recording for other people ...mid-late 90's to early 2000's

I got sick of fvking with mic'ing drums.
I wasn't good at it and didn't want to commit to the next level to get good.

So...I bought a Roland set and told drummers "here's what your using"...a few guys said "fvk no."

A few guys were really cool with it and appreciated the simplicity and sonic flexibility.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
So it's time for another band rant! I got my own rehearsal studio complete with a PA, amps, and a drum set. To do some DIY recordings, we've had our drummer come over to do them at my place. I'm good with recording every instrument other than drums, so I've been doing my best to help our drummer get a decent recording here since he doesn't have his own set.

A few months back we spent a whole day recording drums. It's been a learning experience for both of us and it's been very time consuming. Every time we run into an issue of some kind, our drummer proceeds to blame a piece of my equipment. Sometimes he blames my recording software (I'm using Logic), other times he blames the walls in the room for not being able to achieve a sound he wants. We've tried different mic placements and even his own DAW for recording and he's still not happy with it. I suggested we try and have the drums recorded professionally but he insists we keep trying to do it ourselves.

Flash forward a few months and we recently tried recording again. We made sure to use his DAW and I let him set the mics the way he wanted them. After several hours, we get one recording he's finally happy with. I end up recording my guitar parts over it and our bass player did the same. The drummer wanted to mix the songs so he went ahead and did that. He said he really liked how the drums sounded and how we was happy with the recording......until he wasn't.

This morning he says after listening to the recordings again, he now changed his mind and is not happy with how his drums sound. He had the audacity to tell me my $2000+ drum set wasn't high quality enough to get a good recording, even going so far to say things like "your cymbals are shit" and I was steaming. I told him "Listen, you need to figure out what you want your drum to sound like on the recordings for our songs. I've provided all I can in order for you to accomplish this. I highly recommend seeking a professional studio so they can help you achieve your goals and get the sound you want. I'll even help pay for it if it's an issue". I also told him at the end of the day, he's a full grown adult responsible for his own recordings and equipment. I'm not his mom or his dad. Apparently this pissed him and the other band members off, telling me I was "too mean". Meanwhile, the dude is constantly telling me my equipment is the problem and taking 0 responsibility for the recording. He's using mine for a reason. I told them if telling a bandmate he needs to be an adult and be responsible for recording with his own gear is a problem, then maybe this band isn't for me.

I'm just somewhat shocked how disrespectful some people can be. The other bandmates keep telling me he was "just joking" when he said my drum set was shit, and how I shouldn't take it personally. Well, it wasn't a very good joke and yeah, I'm going to take it personally when I'm trying to do the guy a favor and he shows 0 ounce of appreciation. The real joke is a 35 year old musician not having his own gear to do his own recordings. Mic drop.
BTW We have some questions for you about some pictures.

DavGrape

Night of the Lepus
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
He can delete the whole thing!
It's probably etched in stone, tho.

motowntom

Reaction score
There are 20,124 drummers in the Detroit area, got to be at least 1/2 that where you live.
Cheers

Fiat Lux

Reaction score
So you now have two problems….

Personally I would tell the drummer and any of his supporters to fcuk off (and that’s coming from a drummer). You do not need that level of petulance in your band or your life.

Move on. Find constructive not destructive friends.

cheers.

DavGrape

Night of the Lepus
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
♫...and they can bang more notes than the number of bums on a Tampa Bay barstool...♪

Chango Malo

where's that confounded bridge?
Reaction score
Damn, I didn't know Neil Pert was such a dick to work with.
Or did you have John Bonham in the studio?
Max Weinberg?
Cozy Powell?
Jeff Porcaro?
Dave Garibaldi?
Carmine Appice?
Steve Gadd?
Bernie Purdie?
Clyde Stubblefield?
Danny Carey?

No???

Tell that dude to make sure the door don't hit 'em where the dog shoulda bit 'em

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not joking, no; to rip on somebody's stuff, that's mental.
I'm thinking the drums sounded fine, all along, months ago, all of it.

Me too, and what bothers me the most is the gas lighting from him and the other members, acting like I was so out of line for telling a grown adult to take some responsibility and do the recording himself. It's like since I provided them a rehearsal space, they expect me to do everything for them. Provide them with gear, help with their recordings, etc. I'm not asking they make a statue for me, but I'd appreciate them not being inconsiderate assholes.

Latest Threads