the story behind Walk This Way (Run DMC & Aerosmith)

Malikon

죽을래
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

pretty interesting video/behind the scenes.

I remember when that video came out and it did blow a lot of peoples minds that Rock and Rap were in the same song with each other; because the genres had always been very antagonistic towards each other.

Nowadays everyone listens to everything but when you were young in the 80's it really wasn't like that. Your music choice was your Tribe.

You were into Pop Synth, or Rock, or Metal, or Rap. And if you were in one Tribe but secretly listened to something else (Eazy E was my first hip-hop tape)... you didn't tell people about it. :laugh2:

The metal guys I hung out with I don't think anyone admitted to liking any hip-hop until Dr. Dre - The Chronic came out in like 92-93. Suddenly it was alright to sort of like everything and listen to everything.

But in the 80's it seemed like there were division lines between genres and people really didn't cross them very much.

Last edited:

Death Incarnate

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I was digging Public Enemy before The Chronic. But at the time, I felt Run DMC was kind of corny. Looking back, the production and arrangements DMC and Beaties Boys did with Rubin changed popular music.

As far as Aerosmith, anything after Draw The Line or Night in the Ruts seems overly commercial and pandering. But still, at least they are a band playing instruments together in a room. I listened to Get a Grip and Nine Lives recently, and most of it is banal and sappy, and it doesn’t ROCK, but still sounds like an actual rock band with a groove and great players. Looking back, those albums aren’t so bad when compared to “rock“ in the Top 40 now. I would rather listen to Get a Grip or Nine Lives than Imaging Dragons. Coldplay, Weezer, or Greenday. I’ll take Pink and Cryin and Crazy over any pop punk or power pop or emo rock every day of the week.

Pink is a great song.

redking

Reaction score
"Oh shoot! The Rolling Stones is in here!" LOL Love it. I love Raising Hell. Still my favorite rap record. (I only like 2 mind you)

MikeyTheCat

Premium Member
Reaction score

pretty interesting video/behind the scenes.

I remember when that video came out and it did blow a lot of peoples minds that Rock and Rap were in the same song with each other; because the genres had always been very antagonistic towards each other.

Nowadays everyone listens to everything but when you were young in the 80's it really wasn't like that. Your music choice was your Tribe.

You were into Pop Synth, or Rock, or Metal, or Rap. And if you were in one Tribe but secretly listened to something else (Easy E was my first hip-hop tape)... you didn't tell people about it. :laugh2:

The metal guys I hung out with I don't think anyone admitted to liking any hip-hop until Dr. Dre - The Chronic came out in like 92. Suddenly it was alright to sort of like everything and listen to everything.

But in the 80's it seemed like there were division lines between genres and people really didn't cross them very much.
I remember when WBAB first played it. The DJ came on and said he wasn’t sure what it was but give a listen and call in. Holy crap you’d have thought they played the audio of their moms having sex with the school principal.

I was cool with it because I wasn’t tribal. I’d listen to afrika bambaataa, Sinatra, Television, Return to Forever, The Dead Boys and Sun Ra. Before playing music took off I was trying to get into radio, preferably something after midnight so I could play all kinds of crazy stuff. To be tribal meant missing out on all sorts of great music.

Last edited:

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Premium Member
Reaction score
After seeing the video I thought that was a cool rendition. Not too far from the original
but interjected the rap nicely. It was like a bridge between rock and rap.

Hell, Tyler is rapping that song already. It was not much of
a stretch for a rapper to convert Walk This Way to a rap beat.

I never understood why people were so pissed off. If you liked it buy it. Don't. Don't.
I like both versions.

MikeyTheCat

Premium Member
Reaction score
You don’t get it, rap back then was all about the rapper, Rock was about chicks. :D
If you wanted rap about girls you need Ladies Love Cool J

Malikon

죽을래
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Rap is still very narcissistic, I get it.

I'd rather be in a practice room with chicks on the walls. :laugh2:

I like hip-hop but I really only like 80's and 90's hip-hop. The mumble-mouth shit I've heard in the 2000's I don't care for at all.

......I grudgingly admit Kanye's 'Golddigger' is a fun song.

was Nelly in the 2000's? He had some cool songs too.

MikeyTheCat

Premium Member
Reaction score
Rap is still very narcissistic, I get it.

I'd rather be in a practice room with chicks on the walls. :laugh2:

I like hip-hop but I really only like 80's and 90's hip-hop. The mumble-mouth shit I've heard in the 2000's I don't care for at all.

......I grudgingly admit Kanye's 'Golddigger' is a fun song.

was Nelly in the 2000's? He had some cool songs too.
Well yeah, or at least hanging with LL and his round the way girls. It’s amazing that there was a genre of music where the guys were more into themselves than the front man of a rock band.
I got into rap in the late 70s, loved the 80s rap and New Jack. There was some really creative stuff going on, now, not so much in my opinion, but I’m old and like to understand what the rapper is saying.

irocdave12

Reaction score
Let’s not forget this epic collaboration too and how desperate The Beach Boys had become to remind people they were still alive in the mid 80’s also

Malikon

죽을래
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
never liked the idea behind the video . each band deserves ( a certain amount of ) respect individually . these two bands coming together and trying to merge the two different genres __ seemed like a transparent / commercial attempt to me

and the Beastie Boys were doing that style at least 5 years before Aerosmith / DMC

Death Incarnate

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
and the Beastie Boys were doing that style at least 5 years before Aerosmith / DMC
Check your math.
Beasties’ first album came out six months after DMC’s Raising Hell with Walk This Way on it.
And BB’s rap-rock AC/DC-sampled single, Rock Hard was 1984, a year after DMC’s first album.
At least five years before Walk This Way, Beasties were still a hardcore punk band.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
Music was fun back then. It helps me understand all the throwback stuff.
Rap was great in the 80s/90s. Puff Daddy kinda came along and fucked it all up.
I still remember when Straight Outta Compton came out. We were a couple of white kids in a lowrider with one of those crazy stereos, switching between rap and metal. We once cruised the same strip and set the same car alarm off like 4 times with Suicidal Tendencies.
Anthrax had a good song with Public Enemy. Bring the Noise!!!

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
Check your math.
Beasties’ first album came out six months after DMC’s Raising Hell with Walk This Way on it.
And BB’s rap-rock AC/DC-sampled single, Rock Hard was 1984, a year after DMC’s first album.
At least five years before Walk This Way, Beasties were still a hardcore punk band.

oh damn . you're right :shock: could have sworn that Rhymin' and Stealin' was out before that song . my memory is shIt . . .