The Stock Market / Crypto Thread (no politics)

slug_maine

Reaction score
I've heard some quiet talk about the potential push for possibly taxing unrealized gains (stocks that are still being held) recently that seemed kinda disturbing. That would serve to chase most people with two functioning synapses right out of the market.
Where they gonna go? 10 year treasury yields less than 1%, CDs not even 1/4%. Fed is carpet bombing the economy with money that has nowhere to go while mom and pop businesses are being thrown away. BIG TECH is happy, why wouldn't they be.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Bernie kept his house o cards alive for a long time, too. :laugh2:

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You have to keep the faith, baby.

filtersweep

Reaction score
If you are actually into stocks--- and not funds, I'd argue that you are better off in private equity.

Granted they are not as liquid, but that is where the high risk/high reward aspect comes in. And I see little point in doing that in individual stocks. If you invest as little as $40,000 in the right company, early enough, it isn't unthinkable that it can be worth 25X that in 10 years.... for example.... in an IPO.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
IPO's are usually worse bets than playing the hard ways on a craps table. Look closely at the history and the statistics for fail v. success, with ROI. If you have inside views, the odds get a little better. If you are John Q Public, statistically, you are throwing money away. The very best IPO's are not accessible to "outsiders". 20-20 hindsight is deadly in that game.

Why does everyone chase the home runs?

a Mad Cow

Reaction score
If you are actually into stocks--- and not funds, I'd argue that you are better off in private equity.

Granted they are not as liquid, but that is where the high risk/high reward aspect comes in. And I see little point in doing that in individual stocks. If you invest as little as $40,000 in the right company, early enough, it isn't unthinkable that it can be worth 25X that in 10 years.... for example.... in an IPO.
my man plenty of public companies have hit the x25 mark in 10 years after IPO. Zoom is x10 after only 1.5 years lol

Happens all the time man check out Teslas 5 year, nvda is x25 over 5 years.

DotStudio

Reaction score
my man plenty of public companies have hit the x25 mark in 10 years after IPO. Zoom is x10 after only 1.5 years lol

While I somewhat agree with your sentiment, using stocks that relied on a convenient global pandemic (zoom) and utter insanity (Tesla) may not be the best examples. :rofl:

a Mad Cow

Reaction score
While I somewhat agree with your sentiment, using stocks that relied on a convenient global pandemic (zoom) and utter insanity (Tesla) may not be the best examples. :rofl:
I'm considering a short on zoom to $300 :jam:

that young man need to shed some weight

PeteK

Reaction score

10 years in Bitcoin a $1000 investment could have been worth close to $200k at the peak and no one even knows what the fuck a Bitcoin is or does.

a Mad Cow

Reaction score
10 years in Bitcoin a $1000 investment could have been worth close to $200k at the peak and no one even knows what the fuck a Bitcoin is or does.
It just rejected 18,500 hard and crashed so well see. :applause:

I'm up 50%, invested in may/april.

Ed B

Reaction score
IIRC people didn't know how to realize massive gains. :rofl:I remember seeing a place in Malibu for sale, accepting BC awhile back. I saw that and said I'd buy that in a heartbeat in order to get my money out of the wallet.

a Mad Cow

Reaction score
It's interesting how folks intertwine the useage of "invest" with "gamble". :laugh2:

Bitcoin = gamble. There is not a single correlating fact otherwise.
I wouldnt disagree :applause:

I expect to lose it all tbh

PeteK

Reaction score
It's interesting how folks intertwine the useage of "invest" with "gamble". :laugh2:

Bitcoin = gamble. There is not a single correlating fact otherwise.
I happen to live in basically Bitcoin Mecca. Or it was a few years ago. It's crashing hard now. See, most people don't really give a shit about the hardware that makes Bitcoin work, but it actually takes a ridiculous amount of computing power and it requires exponentially more as it grows. Our power prices here are around .02 a kwh so a LOT of people came here to set up Bitcoin "farms" and take advantage of our cheap power. You could tell from the start that it wasn't meant to be any permanent benefit to the community. It created nearly zero jobs and most of the "farms" were modified shipping containers with a crap ton of cooling fans. It essentially doubled the electrical power demand for our community and finally the local utilities had to increase the rates for the Bitcoin farms. Half of them are abandoned now.

Fret Hopper

Reaction score
I forget who said it, but I have looked at this as follows:
Investor = long term
Trader = short term

And if you do not understand how a company makes (or will make) money don't invest in it.

I read pretty much all of Peter Lynch's books. Plenty of good advice.

And always...always...be wary of the dead cat bounce.

a Mad Cow

Reaction score
I personally don't think BTC is going anywhere and will continue to raise over the years. I'm willing to lose all the money I've put in it's a risk I'm willing to take. I've got about 15% of my net worth in. Bought at the top back in the day at 15k and lost my shirt. Tripled down in march.

Blockchain technology will always be tied to BTC, and other coins are being adopted for many of the ledger uses (ie. banks using XRP)

I consider BTC the "gold" of digital currency and the altcoins the silver / copper / etc.

Now that paypal, square, fidelity, etrade, and bank of america will be adopting BTC I don't see it going anywhere.

I'll be holding my BTC until retirement.

Last edited:

PeteK

Reaction score
I personally don't think BTC is going anywhere and will continue to raise over the years. I'm willing to lose all the money I've put in it's a risk I'm willing to take. I've got about 15% of my net worth in. Bought at the top back in the day at 15k and lost my shirt. Tripled down in march.

Blockchain technology will always be tied to BTC, and other coins are being adopted for many of the ledger uses (ie. banks using XRP)

I consider BTC the "gold" of digital currency and the altcoins the silver / copper / etc.

Now that paypal, square, fidelity, etrade, and bank of america will be adopting BTC I don't see it going anywhere.

I'll be holding my BTC until retirement.
I think the concept seems good. It's the hardware side of things that is going to kill it. Also, if I'm not mistaken there is already an end date where they will no longer produce more bitcoins. Currently that is the only reason ANYONE invests in the hardware that makes bitcoin and blockchains function. You get awarded bitcoins, or fractions of them for feeding the block chain. Why would anyone continue to invest tens of thousands, or even millions of dollars in hardware to keep the blockchains functioning if there was zero incentive to do so? And when the block chain suddenly doesn't function, then what? The whole thing is a house of cards just waiting to collapse. I'm shocked it hasn't already. People just blindly say "yeah, but blockchains bro, it's the future". Most people have absofuckinglutely no idea what a block chain is or does, much like bitcoin itself.

The best description I ever heard of it was from John Oliver. "Bitcoin is everything you don't understand about computers combined with everything you don't understand about banking".

Latest Threads