The Stock Market / Crypto Thread (no politics)

Ed B

Reaction score
This is probably my biggest weakness. So you don't subscribe to the "never sell" approach? Some of these stocks are looking at 2500% over 5 years...like nvda. Imagine selling in 2018 on that huge dip ya know. Still trying to navigate this idea myself.
This isn't our main account. Our main accounts are in the hands of CFP's. That's more of a set it and forget it approach.

There's not a single stock I'd never sell. You aren't going to time everything. That's reality. To be in a winner in the market you only have to be correct 51% of the time.

If any portfolio manager realized 2500% gains. I'd be shocked. At least not on an entire position. A disciplined investor will take profits. You must. Maybe they bought enough to chip away and still have some left at the initial investment.

I sold off my Moderna position months ago around 88. Before it tanked. Realized 30% gain. Am I losing sleep that it made a run now and I would have made more? NO WAY. Those profits are being put to work elsewhere. You cannot feel badly about ringing the register. No matter where you ring it.

That's my mindset anyway. My wife cringes at the amount of money I'm able to lose without being bothered. You can't be emotional about it. You'll drive yourself crazy. Literally. :laugh2:

You're not going to win them all. You just need to win most.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine the people struggling have enough extra income to worry about stocks
I was more commenting on how the news paints the market and the economy as being in the trash, when in fact it's far from it. And before (unnamed disease we can't mention) it was doing better than it ever has before.

..but not if you listen to the mainstream news.

...I'll shut up before I scuff the curb and invite the hammer.

a Mad Cow

Reaction score
This isn't our main account. Our main accounts are in the hands of CFP's. That's more of a set it and forget it approach.

There's not a single stock I'd never sell. You aren't going to time everything. That's reality. To be in a winner in the market you only have to be correct 51% of the time.

If any portfolio manager realized 2500% gains. I'd be shocked. At least not on an entire position. A disciplined investor will take profits. You must. Maybe they bought enough to chip away and still have some left at the initial investment.

I sold off my Moderna position months ago around 88. Before it tanked. Realized 30% gain. Am I losing sleep that it made a run now and I would have made more? NO WAY. Those profits are being put to work elsewhere. You cannot feel badly about ringing the register. No matter where you ring it.

That's my mindset anyway. My wife cringes at the amount of money I'm able to lose without being bothered. You can't be emotional about it. You'll drive yourself crazy. Literally. :laugh2:

I think were pretty much setup the same. I swing trade monthly options which I've been using to generate income (sounds like your play account). I havn't posted my options account but it's doing very well. Then my fidelity is set it and forget it. I sort of wanted fidelity to be my "never sell" and be one of those guys that held apple for 20 years and is rich lmao

Sometimes in fidelity ill hit a winner like NIO and hesitate to sell - even though I should because it's going to get slaughtered on earnings tonight lol. Would probly be able to buy x3 as many shares after the dip. Just can't seem to press that sell button lol

DotStudio

Reaction score

My wife just about lost it when we were down a few 100k over the course of a week in March. I just told her it'll be back eventually, and here we are way up from where we were initially. I'm primarily a slow growth investor, but I saw a few great opportunities and took advantage. Now I'm back to plugging away.

rxbandit

Reaction score
I was more commenting on how the news paints the market and the economy as being in the trash, when in fact it's far from it. And before (unnamed disease we can't mention) it was doing better than it ever has before.

..but not if you listen to the mainstream news.

...I'll shut up before I scuff the curb and invite the hammer.
Stock market doesn't reflect many parts of the economy, small businesses for example. A ton of restaurants, venues, etc are on the verge of collapse (especially with winter coming and all that spaced-out outdoor seating going away).

I understand a lot of companies are doing great, just lending the perspective that it's not all sunshine and rainbows.

a Mad Cow

Reaction score
I hear you.

Like everything the truth is somewhere in the middle.

the MSM has no truth apparently though :laugh2:
Couple things go into play here Mali -

1st and foremost the market prices for the future, not the present. So it seems the market is predicting a brighter future.

Another note is that some sectors thrived during the pandemic. Social media for example exploded. Computers and gaming console sales went through the roof. Guns...etc.

Then you also have the emerging electric vehicle companies. I am proud to invest in these and if they were to tank it would just hinder the future of the planet.

Then you also have vaccine companies that need investments. Many are raising capital through the market selling shares.

What I'm saying is many parts of the economy are running better than ever - while many arent. It's not as cut and dry as it seems.

Don't be fooled - many stock sectors are still down 30%-50%, IE travel (cruises, airlines, hotels)

Ed B

Reaction score
My wife just about lost it when we were down a few 100k over the course of a week in March. I just told her it'll be back eventually, and here we are way up from where we were initially. I'm primarily a slow growth investor, but I saw a few great opportunities and took advantage. Now I'm back to plugging away.
Exactly! Same with my wife. My reply....Do not look at it! It's the same as stressing over a real estate dip when you plan on being in the house for 20 more years. You're wasting your time. :rofl:

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It sounds so easy. The Market has to go up because that's what it's been doing with a few blips along the way. 401K money and easy credit and forced low interest rates have made it the only game in town. Does it matter if a stock has earnings? Not really. Does it matter that 5 or 10 stocks are responsible for an exaggerated percentage of the gains in the Averages? Nope. Does it matter that stocks that actually have earning so you can have a P/E multiple are above their historic levels? Nope. That is until it does. Even an "E" Ticket ride ends in Dizzyland.

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
Something like 55% of Americans participate in the market, either directly or indirectly via their pension plans or other retirement plans. The market may not reflect "real" America, but it effects all Americans. Personally, I don't buy individual stocks...I don't have the expertise or the desire to play with stocks. My retirement funds include stocks, but they're in indexed funds, which are less risky and based on the idea that in the long-term, the market will outperform any single investment.

I agree with Fett in that the government's fiscal, monetary and tax policies have help to create a mess. Below market interest rates in particular, have pushed people into the market as a way to stay above inflation.

Ed B

Reaction score
Funny how everyone says they're doing well when the news is all doom and gloom and "everything is the worst" :laugh2:

I guess they just love promoting misery
They do indeed. The media spends 5% of their time reporting feel good stories.

That said, there's a lot of gloom in our world right now. And with winter and lockdowns coming. It's going to get uglier.

a Mad Cow

Reaction score
It sounds so easy. The Market has to go up because that's what it's been doing with a few blips along the way. 401K money and easy credit and forced low interest rates have made it the only game in town. Does it matter if a stock has earnings? Not really. Does it matter that 5 or 10 stocks are responsible for an exaggerated percentage of the gains in the Averages? Nope. Does it matter that stocks that actually have earning so you can have a P/E multiple are above their historic levels? Nope. That is until it does. Even an "E" Ticket ride ends in Dizzyland.
I always have a hedge (s&p short) open for this exact reason. Most stocks I trade are trading at high valuations. So far the short hedge is just throwing money into the garbage but I keep it open because I'm not totally dumb. If the market were to crash to march lows my hedge would easily hit x10 gain, but would really only offset some of my losses

Last edited:

rogue3

Reaction score
I remember thinking Gold in 2018 @ 1200.I really wished i had have listened to that little voice in my brain.

2years and a 50-66% gain,depending on the buy and sell point.not bad.

Last edited:

a Mad Cow

Reaction score
I remember thinking Gold in 2018 @ 1200.I really wished i had have listened to that little voice in my brain.

2years and a 50-66% gain,depending on the buy and sell point.not bad.

Check that out, guy bought silver at the low and cashed it out after the 2008 crash at the top,

interesting to note the pawn shop lost a ton of money on that silver...until this year!

Scooter2112

Reaction score
I've heard some quiet talk about the potential push for possibly taxing unrealized gains (stocks that are still being held) recently that seemed kinda disturbing. That would serve to chase most people with two functioning synapses right out of the market.

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Are you implying that tax-talk would influence "investing"? Why would that make a difference?

a Mad Cow

Reaction score
Lets keep the tax talk out of the thread as it's political policy talk.

Anyway, BTC hitting 17.5k this morning, anyone else in

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I forgot. The Market is a perpetual motion machine. :dude:

Latest Threads