The Stew-Mac experience; not what it used to be.

lowatter

Reaction score
#$%Q#!% disease has half the world freaking out, 1/4 of the world taking advantage of the situation and I'm in the 1/4 that's watching all this bullshit in shock and awe.

KStopper65

Reaction score
Philadelphia Luthiers’ un-PC views
Unaware of this. DGAF as long as they send me the quality parts quickly and for cheap.
Philly Luthier Supply.
Shipping rates are much better than SM and many of the same products.
This. Their prices are the cheapest, and so is their shipping. Their Economy International was $8 for 4 pots and 3 humbucker magnets to India. Thats halfway across the world. The package reached my place in 9 days. Thats unbeatable for the price

Subterfuge

Reaction score
The StewMac experience totally sucks now… no phone support, no return paperwork in the box and I’ve had wrong items shipped a few times recently. I returned an item 3+ weeks ago and it basically disappeared… oops, I’m out $100. Didn’t renew my stew max membership. And btw, I have been going into work every day since March 2020 and my office is no where near as nice as casa StewMac..come on guys, let’s right the ship!
yep, you just summed up the Stewmac experience perfectly, you pay the money and then you are at the mercy of these clowns .. you're now out $100 ??? does Stewmac give a crap about that with their part-time college students working as CSR's from home ?? the place has turned into a total joke .

Roxy13

Reaction score
Yeah, they have been unreachable since March of 2020. I order too much stuff so I have the membership but I have placed an order, then later realized I needed something else. I tried to tell them hey, just put it in with the first order, but nope. They sent them seperately even though that cost them more money.

Right now there is no customer service or tech advice. The lockdown ended 1.5 years ago and it's still that way.

But, I don't let myself feel guilty then if all I need are 3 screws :rofl:

Duane.S

Reaction score
When i first started repairing then building guitars, Stewmac was a great source and resource for tools , parts and info. Now I place an order with them a maybe a couple times a year. There are so many other sources for these parts and most of their newer tools are looking for a problem to solve.

Here are a few alternative sources that haven't been mentioned where it is fairly easy to get a dealer status for discounted parts:
CE Distribution, AKA Antique Electronic Supply and Amplified Parts
WD Music Products
Mojotone

And if you need screws for vintage guitars check out blacksmithbolt.com

Last edited:

Joe Desperado

Reaction score
I'm a pro myself, Joe. Full time. But I find some of their stuff just ridiculous and over-the-top. "you just can't do it without this" narrative.

Not only that, but there was some really bad advice given for new guys. Using the radius blocks as "fret levelers" was said right in their catalog. While a radius sanding block *can* be used as a fret leveler in the hands of someone who really knows what they are doing, I wouldn't recommend it at all. I was taught to use straight, flat beams. And I've used them with success ever since. And I have seen right on these pages, people who used a radius block as a fret leveler (based on what SM had written) and buggered the job up terribly.

Some of their stuff is right on the money though. I'll admit to the good quality and thoughtful design of the tools.

But the lowering of the bar where customer service is concerned. That's a load of BS. Hiding behind the pandemic.

While other outfits are at work, showing up, ready to do business and take care of who pays them.
Agree 100%

SlingBlader

Reaction score
I hadn't really noticed the issue with customer support until August of this year. I had ordered one of their wood radius beams and it arrived with a ridge in it. I assumed it would be no problem to get a replacment considering their great reputation for customer service.

6f0is2M.jpg

My first hint of a problem was that you cannot find their phone number on their website any longer. I mean it isn't just buried, it is literally GONE. I had to dig out the physical paper from the shipment to find it. And as everyone now knows, there is no answer and no way to leave a voice mail. I went back to the website and had to go through their ridiculous email form which does not allow for much in the way of real communication.

I waited 5 days for a response. FIVE BUSINESS DAYS. NOTHING. I sent a nasty-gram back through their system and got a response the following day. They sent a replacement part. When it arrived, it had the same damn ridge in it that the first one had. :slap:

I promptly went to Philly Luthier Supply and ordered a nice aluminum unit. I sent a message to StewMac again and they promised to have someone inspect the part before it was sent. It eventually showed up in good order, but by that time I already had the aluminum unit from Philly. The wooden StewMac unit went in the cabinet never to be used. Including the glacial speed of USPS, it took StewMac 3 weeks to send me one good radius beam from one state over. Complete BS.

The image that they are selling versus what is happening in reality are two vastly different things.

And full disclosure, I'm now working from home permanently. It began as a temporary thing during the pandemic and it became part of our SOP. Guess what? I can answer my desk phone from home. Callers can leave voice mail. I can make calls as well. It's a got-dang technological miracle I tell ya! Since StewMac can't figure out how to accomplish it, it must be a super-complicated thing to implement. :wtf:

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
well, i haven't ordered from them in quite some time, as i don't build but one or so a year, and haven't done much in the last two years due to problems after back surgery, but i really hate to hear this. they have been my go to source, as even though i find them more expensive, their inventory and service was worth it to me. at this point, i'm not sure i'll even try. they had things going their way, but i guess they used this whole pandemic thing as a grounds to save a few bucks.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I hadn't really noticed the issue with customer support until August of this year. I had ordered one of their wood radius beams and it arrived with a ridge in it. I assumed it would be no problem to get a replacment considering their great reputation for customer service.

6f0is2M.jpg

My first hint of a problem was that you cannot find their phone number on their website any longer. I mean it isn't just buried, it is literally GONE. I had to dig out the physical paper from the shipment to find it. And as everyone now knows, there is no answer and no way to leave a voice mail. I went back to the website and had to go through their ridiculous email form which does not allow for much in the way of real communication.

I waited 5 days for a response. FIVE BUSINESS DAYS. NOTHING. I sent a nasty-gram back through their system and got a response the following day. They sent a replacement part. When it arrived, it had the same damn ridge in it that the first one had. :slap:

I promptly went to Philly Luthier Supply and ordered a nice aluminum unit. I sent a message to StewMac again and they promised to have someone inspect the part before it was sent. It eventually showed up in good order, but by that time I already had the aluminum unit from Philly. The wooden StewMac unit went in the cabinet never to be used. Including the glacial speed of USPS, it took StewMac 3 weeks to send me one good radius beam from one state over. Complete BS.

The image that they are selling versus what is happening in reality are two vastly different things.

And full disclosure, I'm now working from home permanently. It began as a temporary thing during the pandemic and it became part of our SOP. Guess what? I can answer my desk phone from home. Callers can leave voice mail. I can make calls as well. It's a got-dang technological miracle I tell ya! Since StewMac can't figure out how to accomplish it, it must be a super-complicated thing to implement. :wtf:

Wow. Just...wow.

I never thought I'd see such a level of incompetence from Stew Mac.

Used to be, everybody respected SM, bid sorta begrudged them because of prices. But the respect was there.

Can't say that anymore.

I wonder what Dan Erlewine thinks of all this

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
well, i haven't ordered from them in quite some time, as i don't build but one or so a year, and haven't done much in the last two years due to problems after back surgery, but i really hate to hear this. they have been my go to source, as even though i find them more expensive, their inventory and service was worth it to me. at this point, i'm not sure i'll even try. they had things going their way, but i guess they used this whole pandemic thing as a grounds to save a few bucks.
Them using it as such a BS excuse irks me.

Because others are not .

Thank goodness for the others.

Sunburstman

Reaction score
Them using it as such a BS excuse irks me.

Because others are not .

Thank goodness for the others.
Unfortunately, Lt Dave 32, We are living in an uncaring world, Luckily Most People like yourself and others on this site are very friendly and knowledgeable and willing to help others like myself reading your advise on builds and techniques! Thanks for all you do!!!!!

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Lt Dave 32, We are living in an uncaring world, Luckily Most People like yourself and others on this site are very friendly and knowledgeable and willing to help others like myself reading your advise on builds and techniques! Thanks for all you do!!!!!

I'm humbled. You're very welcome.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really am amazed at some of the talent displayed by the builders that inhabit this forum.

Peter just dropped a "Wenge Bomb" doublecut in another thread that has me :bowdown
It's like the Ash of dark woods

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I really am amazed at some of the talent displayed by the builders that inhabit this forum.

Peter just dropped a "Wenge Bomb" doublecut in another thread that has me :bowdown
It's like the Ash of dark woods
Peter Shupe is an intrepid builder, always something a bit more in his builds. And his builds are outstanding.

I made a neck with a wenge fret board for a fretless bass. You really need to watch out for wenge spliners, as they are pure hell.

Speaking of dark woods, I just carved this one for a forum member here.

Solid, one-piece Indian Rosewood Tele neck, with flamed mahogany skunk stripe. Tadeo Gomez style "boat bottom" soft-V profile:

neck6.jpg

neck7.jpg

neck8.jpg

Tough stuff to carve, but at least it doesn't splinter like that damn wenge..

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peter Shupe is an intrepid builder, always something a bit more in his builds. And his builds are outstanding.

I made a neck with a wenge fret board for a fretless bass. You really need to watch out for wenge spliners, as they are pure hell.

Speaking of dark woods, I just carved this one for a forum member here.

Solid, one-piece Indian Rosewood Tele neck, with flamed mahogany skunk stripe. Tadeo Gomez style "boat bottom" soft-V profile:

View attachment 572455

View attachment 572456

View attachment 572457

Tough stuff to carve, but at least it doesn't splinter like that damn wenge..

Don't look at the pics.
Don't look at the pics.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damnit man....

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did not need to see that.....Nawt. Didn't need to see that neck.... Nerp...... Don't scroll back up.... Don't do it....

Well shit.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I did not need to see that.....Nawt. Didn't need to see that neck.... Nerp...... Don't scroll back up.... Don't do it....

Well shit.

Aww, Edro.. would you like me to make you a one-piece rosewood neck?

Would you like that, Ed?

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aww, Edro.. would you like me to make you a one-piece rosewood neck?

Would you like that, Ed?

Must resist.... Must resist..... Gotta get the stun gun.....

Jeebus that neck is gorgeous... Damnit....

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'd be button-bustin' happy to make you one of those, Ed. Any carve you want.

Latest Threads