The Social Dilemma...

Roxy13

Reaction score
I do use FB, but these are my only uses of it:

Talk to people on Messenger
Use FB Marketplace to buy and sell things
Enjoy many guitar groups on there

I might post something on my wall once every 3 years lol.

TheX

just some do0d
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use FB daily. I have one friend, and I use FB Purity to strip everything out of it that I don't want.

I use it for groups that have content I can't get elsewhere.

Technology insiders
Mountain biking (local and in other states for trips)
Guitar and modelers

All notifications are turned off, and I have the privacy settings all maxed. I don't use anything else. No Twitter, Instagram, tiktok, etc.

pnuggett

Reaction score
I don’t have Netflix. Anyone know where I can get a Social Dilemma and Great Hack? I’d really like my younger children to see them.

Even though we are a strict no social media family, and my younger tween/teen children don’t have phones, tablets, PCs or any other unrestricted access to the ‘net, I’d like them to see why our parental policies are so apparently draconian.

cheers.

Just sign up for a free month trial on Netflix. No obligation and they send a reminder three days before cancellation without charge.

Mark_the_Knife

Reaction score
You Google something, and I Google the same thing, we'll get different results and answers based on our geographic location, our browsing history and internet profile, our demographic, etc. (other things that can't be mentioned here)
This concept works great for marketing. You google Gibson Les Paul. Later you google dog leashes. Not the kinky kind. Click into a dog supply store, and wham, you start to see ads for a 1968 Les Paul reissue. Who's connecting all the information together? Google.

Btw, Dave's Guitare is selling this and please buy it because I'm tempted to buy another one.

1968 Gibson Les Paul Custom RI

Getting back to the subject at hand, social media rarely provides information. It is a gateway for opinions. A forum gives you both, i.e., info + opinions. What's the difference? Info requires knowledge in your head, or research into a subject you happen to be interested in. Opinions can be honest or asinine. Rarely is it IMHO, because very few people on social media are humble. The low functioning ones use social media to spew bile and stalk anyone who disagrees with them.

pnuggett

Reaction score
This concept works great for marketing. You google Gibson Les Paul. Later you google dog leashes. Not the kinky kind. Click into a dog supply store, and wham, you start to see ads for a 1968 Les Paul reissue. Who's connecting all the information together? Google.

Btw, Dave's Guitare is selling this and please buy it because I'm tempted to buy another one.

1968 Gibson Les Paul Custom RI

Getting back to the subject at hand, social media rarely provides information. It is a gateway for opinions. A forum gives you both, i.e., info + opinions. What's the difference? Info requires knowledge in your head, or research into a subject you happen to be interested in. Opinions can be honest or asinine. Rarely is it IMHO, because very few people on social media are humble. The low functioning ones use social media to spew bile and stalk anyone who disagrees with them.

Opinions are not like assholes. People only have one asshole.

judson

Reaction score
joined netflix last night and watched The Social Dilema and The Hack.....

so after thinking awhile, i really think its nobodys fault but your own if you are on the net and they mine your data, then come back and the key word here is TRY to manipulate you into buying something or thinking a certain way.

plain and simple...

the cry babies saying "thats my personal data they took without my permission"....no it wasnt your platform, not yours you supplied it to them......and you clicked the mouse button.

yes some laws get violated.....let the snail moving courts decide.......its a cruel world out the Nancy.

regarding the manipulation users of this new technology power have and can do..??? its up to YOU to chose what avenue you take.

as a parent its up to you to control your kids and teach them right from wrong, bad news so many fucked up parents themselves were never taught that simple theory.

manipulation causing death is not good but its not new either......

its just a monster step from the 1950's soap companies airing soap operas on TV to get you to buy their products.........

now you can control the world with that same process.......

that is how far we have come...a bit scary.

watch it form your own opinions always, dont let them influence you but you probably wont know it when they do....:dunno:

:iough:

krauley

Reaction score
joined netflix last night and watched The Social Dilema and The Hack.....

so after thinking awhile, i really think its nobodys fault but your own if you are on the net and they mine your data, then come back and the key word here is TRY to manipulate you into buying something or thinking a certain way.

plain and simple...

the cry babies saying "thats my personal data they took without my permission"....no it wasnt your platform, not yours you supplied it to them......and you clicked the mouse button.

yes some laws get violated.....let the snail moving courts decide.......its a cruel world out the Nancy.

regarding the manipulation users of this new technology power have and can do..??? its up to YOU to chose what avenue you take.

as a parent its up to you to control your kids and teach them right from wrong, bad news so many fucked up parents themselves were never taught that simple theory.

manipulation causing death is not good but its not new either......

its just a monster step from the 1950's soap companies airing soap operas on TV to get you to buy their products.........

now you can control the world with that same process.......

that is how far we have come...a bit scary.

watch it form your own opinions always, dont let them influence you but you probably wont know it when they do....:dunno:

:iough:
I agree with everything you said. My thing is that the big companies, not just social media software companies, get to do stuff that isnt legitimately fair without repercussions. Yes people should be smarter, cautious and not so easily manipulated but if you watched the social dilemma you see that they actually look to addict people. If its like a drug and drugs are illegal then shouldnt it be the same with "smart phones"?

TheX

just some do0d
Premium Member
Reaction score
i really think its nobodys fault but your own if you are on the net and they mine your data, then come back and the key word here is TRY to manipulate you into buying something or thinking a certain way.
I don't think anyone's arguing against that. The movie is meant to inform people.

Crotch

Triggered
Premium Member
Reaction score
Does it get a *crotch* thumbs up?
I cant say. I don't want to have to go knock on doors on my neighborhood and introduce myself as a pederass

Latest Threads