The Social Dilemma...

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Some really good, and mostly scary information. I'm a documentary whore.

I don't think that social media is good for the individual. I have never done it (I don't consider MLP to be social media but i might be wrong).

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Social Media is a cross between cancer and drug addiction. It eats away at your core, and just like with any adulterant addiction, ultimately becomes the death of you, unless you free yourself from its' clenches.

Personally, I blame our societal addiction to Social Media for most of what is wrong with the world these days.

You may think that thinking is fucked up, but simply look around. We just cannot put down the fucking phone. That's a huge problem in, and of itself. But, wait... there is much more...add to that all of the online vitriol, lies, narcissistic enablement, propaganda, judgement, shame, bullying, and divisive messaging that takes place.

Fuck what it does to the user; what it does to our society is so much worse.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
A lot of young people do not know the world as it was without social media.

People actually talked to each other when out to dinner.

I attended a pool party years ago, before I moved out to the desert. There were adults having a ball, BBQ, drinking and having a great old time.

I go into the kitchen for more ice. I pass the dining room, and of the guests that brought their teenagers with them, they were all sitting around the dining room table as quiet as a mouse. All staring at their phones.

I remembered what I did at such pool parties and BBQs with other kids, way back in the 70's.

It was anything but sitting there silent, doing nothing.

It just really hit me that day, that moment. It was pathetic and sad. What they are content to settle for is so damn weak.

I'd been more happy for them had they grabbed a contraband bottle of wine and scampered off with it for some trouble.

Olds442

Reaction score
social media could have been what the world needed, and in many ways it was and remains.

but it was perverted by greed and corporate disruption no different than any other media outlet before it had been.

it's still useful and has it's upsides, but the downsides have been far worse than anyone could have imagined aside a tin foil hat.... correction, hoodie wearing uni-bomber could have predicted.

it's most detrimental effects are found in the generation that never knew what life was like before it came to be. (as most here would suspect i believe) my sons, my brother's children, the less than 30 crowd as far as i can tell.

depression, anxiety, anger, fear are all the effects i've personally seen in 4 children, my brother's and mine. it's terrifying.

it used to be that when you fucked up, 5 people at most knew about it. now, the entire town knows about it minutes after it happened. and you can be labeled a "racist" or "homophobic" etc. those are unprovable things but carry an almost permanent stigma that causes the depression, anxiety, anger and fear, with no way to prove they are false claims. it's not like jenny just turned you down for the prom, it's you're cancelled and hated without any way to defend yourself.

while it can help aid many through it's immediate reach, it can also kill one's vulnerable self esteem as well just as fast.

then there's the whole data thing, argh. i hope congress passes laws to get people paid for the data collected on them, it only seems fair. but holding your breath is not recommended.

while it has it's obvious upsides, the dark sides far outweigh it imo. we can't put that genie back in the bottle so we need to make the best of what it is. use it as you feel safe to do so, but your mind is better when it's kept in small doses. kinda like some narcotics or alcohol.

there should be a warning label right? "Excessive use could lead to suicide."

"that's just my opinion, i could be wrong."
- Dennis Miller

Last edited:

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
The fact that there is such a thing as a "twitter mob" speaks volumes.

People need to put it down. Before it destroys them.

Turn it off, go outside, listen to the birds. Listen to the world around you. Take a look around instead of constantly burying your nose in a damn phone.

You don't NEED FB or twitter. I never even think about them until someone brings them up.

My wife has her FB friends, a very short list. But she knows it's no less than a sin to have that take over when we go on scenic drives. Phone goes off and it goes in her purse.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
We were walking down the street the other day, and saw a bunch of young women walking and having their IiPhones in their hands paying more attention to them than where they were going! I thought (but didn't say) that I am glad I am old. If I were not, I might be trying to have sex with one of them while they were still on their iPhone. Now that would be a terrible distraction from the matter.

Now, forgetting about sex for the moment, as I am pushing 80, and that's not going to happen. But these girls were in historic, 120 year old downtown Durango CO and the temperature was perfect, there were bars and breweries everywhere, and pot shops too. People come from Europe and Asia to visit this place. And these girls were looking at their iPhones? Good God!

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I don't understand the post above. I own a cell phone only because it is a necessary link for my insurance company to monitor my driving so I can get a discount on my car insurance. And no, I don't talk on the damn thing while driving! As it shows that I am a low mileage driver and don't speed, it has been a good investment. But in addition to seeing people looking at their cell phones while walking arround historic Durango CO, I have also seen people doing this while walking around historic sites in Europe. What the hell?

05jrock

Reaction score
I don't understand the post above. I own a cell phone only because it is a necessary link for my insurance company to monitor my driving so I can get a discount on my car insurance. And no, I don't talk on the damn thing while driving! As it shows that I am a low mileage driver and don't speed, it has been a good investment. But in addition to seeing people looking at their cell phones while walking arround historic Durango CO, I have also seen people doing this while walking around historic sites in Europe. What the hell?
My post is a screenshot of the post Facebook removed from my friends Facebook page.
She posted a link to the Social Dilemma documentary and facebook removed it because they are dicks

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I understand. I'm not a big facebook fan, but I do have an accounnt that I rarely use.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
i have a cell phone because my car has no spare tire...thanks,GM.some days i even turn it on and use it,but most days not.i dont have a voicemail account.call me at home on the land line,if im not there leave a message.i see 90% of the people i work with in a huge warehouse cant keep hands/eyes off their phones,mine is in the car turned off.if somebody in the family is born/dies my wife will call my supervisor who will inform me.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
redcoats,

And don't we just love cars that come with so called "run flat" tires and no spare! I have one of those, for which I bought a full sized spare and a tire, along with tools and a jack. It is a great car, except for this. And out here in western Colorado, there are many places without cell phone coverage. If I am going there, I just throw the spare in the trunk. It reduces luggage capacity, but I feel I must. And it is not a GM car, it is an MB car.

We are some of a very few people here that have a land line phone. I don't even recall my cell phone number. The land line has a voice mail feature. If there is a birth or death in my family (the former is very unlikely) they can reach me in plenty of time via a message on my land line. Like, if somebody died, what am I going to do about it? And if the funeral is very far away so I would have to fly commercial to get there, I wouldn't go due to the pandemic, as it seems that airlines haven't heard about distancing. I wouldn't want the funeral to be followed by another one (mine).

Cell phones also violate my right to privacy. I am retired. I don't want to be available 24/7. Nobody is paying me to be such.

rcole_sooner

Reaction score
I think social media is just another tool. Neither good or bad. It is how it is used that matters. Many people of all ages use it in a positive way every day.

I now have friends I could never have met without it.

This forum is an often visited site in my social media bookmarks.

Last edited:

Dolebludger

Reaction score
rcole_sooner,

True that! "Social media" can be good if it has a defined subject matter, as MLP does.

Shred Astaire

Reaction score
I think social media is just another tool. Neither good or bad. It is how it is used that matters. Many people of all ages use it in a positive way every day.

I now have friends I could never have met without it.

This forum is an often visited site in my social media bookmarks.
LOL watch the documentary man. :) You will see just how wrong your opinion of social media is.

Latest Threads