Jewel the Sapphire

Reaction score
This axe was insane! The tone was to die for. It had all the upgrades done to it before I found it. I'll miss this one always! Needed a refret badly, it was super worn out.. but a real player!

FB_IMG_1547265850826.jpg
FB_IMG_1547265868401.jpg
FB_IMG_1547265874180.jpg

FB_IMG_1547265871605.jpg
FB_IMG_1547265865410.jpg
FB_IMG_1547265862185.jpg
FB_IMG_1547265859349.jpg
FB_IMG_1547265856674.jpg
FB_IMG_1547265854119.jpg

Roxy13

Reaction score
I have a Jay Turser SG with P90s. I had to refret mine, too. I think they used some soft fret wire. It has some nice upgrades and I enjoy it.

guitaroholic

Reaction score
So what's the low-down behind the likes of Jay Turser, Harley Benton, or Paul Schmidt's? Curiously they all sport the same headstock 'inlay', but aside that, is it basically a great build but requires a complete hardware change first?
How are those frets off the shelf? NOT in terms of value for the pricetag, but in absolute terms compared to an R9 or the like. I've heard plenty of bang-for-buck or you-get-what-you-pay-for, but are they truly a good foundation for something worthwhile?

Jewel the Sapphire

Reaction score
So what's the low-down behind the likes of Jay Turser, Harley Benton, or Paul Schmidt's? Curiously they all sport the same headstock 'inlay', but aside that, is it basically a great build but requires a complete hardware change first?
How are those frets off the shelf? NOT in terms of value for the pricetag, but in absolute terms compared to an R9 or the like. I've heard plenty of bang-for-buck or you-get-what-you-pay-for, but are they truly a good foundation for something worthwhile?
Well from my experience from buying it used, the frets hadnt worn from me at all. I think it had been sold by the previous owner because they figured the inlay work could get ruined if they did it themselves. Possible that it might have been quoted too high a price for a refret by a luthier so the owner had decided to let it go to a MusicGoRound used gear store for another player to find. I was amazed with it from the moment I saw it till the day I brought it in for trade in credit at the local MGR towards my Gibson Sapphire.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I actually bought mine new, but back around 2002 or 2003? So I can say for sure I wore all the frets down. Now, I don't think this is an issue with all their guitars. I have read others say a bad batch went out with soft fret wire so I wouldn't necessarily let this keep me from buying another. I have a JT 12 string acoustic as well and the frets are fine.

The hardware on the guitar is ok too. The tuners were a little sloppy right off, but they aren't terrible. The electronics are typical of Asian made budget guitars: alpha pots, little ceramic caps. My SG did have full size pots though.

I actually left it stock for years and I did play the snot out of it. It was nice to have a guitar I just didn't worry about, you know? When I took one out of the house to play with other people I almost always grabbed this one.

Once it needed the refret though I just took the opportunity to do hardware and electronics upgrades. I got some Gibson P90s off ebay for a great price so put those in along with pots, caps, switch and jack. I had a Tonepros bridge and Gotoh aluminum tail sitting here so those went on. Same with a set of Grovers that was sitting here.

I still play this guitar a lot. As far as second hand sale goes it probably isn't worth much, and it's worth more to me.