The Selfie Stick

JTM45

Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Any of you folks use one? I was in the Smokies recently and I’ve never seen so many people with those things taking pics of themselves in front of the National Park sign and other scenes.

Crazy, I wouldn’t even know how to hook one up :laugh2:

JTM45

Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Probably sold more than chalk boxes last year

Uncle Remus

Reaction score
I know that Asian tourists seem to really like them still. Other than that I haven't seen anyone use one in a few years. I've never taken a selfie. I suppose I'll just have to remember where and what I have done. Try it. You can dress better, be thinner, and even appear happier in your mind.

MSB

Reaction score
I'm not sure if you would call some of the "sticks" for GoPros selfie sticks, but I've used them. Never with a phone though.

PeteK

Reaction score
Makes sense.

Did you know they don’t use chalk in schools anymore? I guess they haven’t in a long time. I only recently found out. I’m an old fart.
Uh, hate to break it to you, but I went to school in the 80's and 90's and never saw chalk in school ever. It's been quite a while since chalk was used in school.

cjpeck

Reaction score
I got yer selfie stick right here.

Hate those damned things
IMG_20190713_195829906.jpg

defcrew

Reaction score
You guys do know that a chalk box has nothing to do with a blackboard and all that, right?

defcrew

Reaction score

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I bought an Osmo mobile....I needed it for a shoot I was doing, it has a gimbal for smooth walking shots....I used it off and on for getting super smooth slow motion and other shots that just aren't possible without a gimble....
At the same time I bought a mic boom (for the same shoot)

anyway I didn't even know what a "Selfie Stick" was....my daughter comes over and sees my gear laid out as I got ready for the days shoot. She looks and says. "I can't believe you have two selfie sticks ….what do think, your a you tuber now?"

WTF is a selfie stick? Maybe you shouldn't talk to your dad about stuff like that!" I said …. starting to get kinda angry...

Of course she was puzzled at my shocked and horrified reaction...then realizing I thought she was referring to some stupid adult toy...and burst out laughing.....

She had to explain what a selfie stick was.....duh.....

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score

It's a vessel with typically blue chalk powder in it as well as a string which can be pulled out and used to mark a line between two points. You sort of pluck th estring like a bow and arrow and it leave the chalk residue on the surface. It's a carpenter's tool. Been around for centuries I imagine. Crude but ingeniuous.
I have a few of these that were my dads....Used them in his carpentry for layout of a straight line....yes ingenious and yes been around since the ancient Greeks or even Egypt.

The other thing is a plumb bob.....many youngsters haven't a clue what that is or how to use it...

side story....I shop antiques frequently, I found a 37mm antitank projectile (dummy round) with a eyelet and a string screwed into the fuse holder (in the back of the shell) ....it took me three seconds to see what a creative carpenter made with a weapon of war....a plumb bob....

PeteK

Reaction score

It's a vessel with typically blue chalk powder in it as well as a string which can be pulled out and used to mark a line between two points. You sort of pluck th estring like a bow and arrow and it leave the chalk residue on the surface. It's a carpenter's tool. Been around for centuries I imagine. Crude but ingeniuous.
Hmm. I've never heard it called that. I have one in my toolbox. I used it when I put new vinyl floor in my basement. Snapped some chalk lines.

Regardless, chalk boards or chalk boxes, I didn't really understand what either had to do with this thread. :dunno: