The Second Happiest Day......

LP121

Reaction score
in a boat owners life is the day he sells it. I experienced that yesterday.

Don't get me wrong, I love the water, I love being out on the water.

On someone else's boat. Whoever coined the phrase "A hole in the water you throw money into" was absolutely right. :laugh2:

Just too much work. For me. I always got stuck doing all the work for everyone else's enjoyment.

Hanover Fist

Reaction score
A wise man told me: "If it flies, floats, or fornicates, it's gonna cost you!"

LP121

Reaction score
I've also heard that boat stands for "Bust Out Another Thousand" :laugh2:

danohat

Reaction score
I'm going out on my kayak in a few minutes. It costs almost nothing, never needs repairs, and gets right up into where all the fish are. Swimming pools and boats are a continuous flow of cash to a serviceman. I am a pool service man. Ha!

Drew224

"Obvious BS Artist"
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Is it really that much worse than having an older car? Especially something foreign? I've sunk 10k into an old 5 series and I'm not even done. I'm asking partly out of curiosity and partly cause I want a boat.

LP121

Reaction score
Is it really that much worse than having an older car? Especially something foreign? I've sunk 10k into an old 5 series and I'm not even done. I'm asking partly out of curiosity and partly cause I want a boat.
I'd say the difference is that you get a lot more use out of a car for the work you put into it.

I drive my car every day, but the most I had time to take the boat out was twice a week (Saturday and Sunday). That wasn't very often.

The act of taking a boat out is work. Hooking it up, loading it up, launching, pulling it out, tying it down, unhooking, etc.

It was fun at first, but became a PITA when I realized I was the only doing it.

LP121

Reaction score
I'm going out on my kayak in a few minutes. It costs almost nothing, never needs repairs, and gets right up into where all the fish are. Swimming pools and boats are a continuous flow of cash to a serviceman. I am a pool service man. Ha!
We got kayaks too. So much easier to deal with. Throw them on the car and go.

No constant maintenance and upkeep.

Pop1655

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A wise man told me: "If it flies, floats, or fornicates, rent it!"
FIFY :thumb:

These days evidently the main reason I own one is so I can go outside and look at it sitting there. Real life gets in the way.

Totally agree on the yak deal! One of my best purchases to date.
Great way to really connect with the surroundings and enjoy a morning.
The thing that continues to get to me on the yak deal is when you get home, you slide it in the garage and you're done.
You back the boat in and you've got a days worth of chores ahead of you.

Still got one though. Just can't seem to turn loose. Did it for too long.

Nick-O

Reaction score
I wholeheartedly agree, the sadest but gladest day was selling our boat. I always planned on replacing it but never did. The reason I am chiming in is, compared to car or motorcycle restoration, these boats sitting in salt water 24/7 just deteriorate the whole time, so you are ever replacing things that are boring and expensive. It never seemed to end. Great to have "waterfront property" and all that, but I just never seemed to catch up on the chores enough to really "enjoy" it.
I would much rather through a little money at my Harley or studio stuff....gives me a better jolly these days me guesses.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
OP... Only people who have owned boats can really appreciate that feeling. And, the feeling is directly proportional to the cost of the boat.

Imagine how happy I was when I dumped our Catalina 42. Watching the joy on the faces of the buyers, took me back to my moment of lost judgement.

I really wanted to tell them... LOL. But, I shook their hand, then ran to the bank to cash the check!

truckermde

Reaction score
I used to live on my sail boat, and I miss that life every day. It wasn't perfect, but it was a good time in my life.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Boats do tend to fall apart. Several small pieces (dash toggles, corroded wiring, bilge pump) have had issues this year; thankfully nothing serious or costly. Boats are more like a house than a car in terms of maintenance and upkeep.

Living on a lake makes for an entirely different ownership experience than having to trailer the boat whenever/wherever you want to use it. Even if I'm not in the boat enjoying it, I can look at it tied to the dock and smile.

Latest Threads