The Road to Perdition, one my favorite gangster flicks, is on Netflix

scott1970

Reaction score
Gangster movies are my favorite, and this one ranks up at the top for me. Oddly enough, this one seems to be less well known as my other top picks, although it has some big name actors in it.

It’s worth watching if you’ve not seen it. It’s dark, though. And tragic.

Roxy13

Reaction score
One of my favorite movies, no doubt. I'll have to watch it again.

I think it was Newman's last big role and maybe last of all.

LSAR

Reaction score
Great movie. I'll have to see if it's still on Netflix up here.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Just looked it up and yes--
Great movie. I liked Daniel Craig in his small part, pre-Bond days. Also had to have been one of Paul Newman's last roles? Seemed like it anyway.
Just looked it up and yes: this was the very last movie that Paul Newman had a role in.

--R

LSAR

Reaction score
Great movie. I'll have to see if it's still on Netflix up here.
It isn't, sorry fellow Canadians.

Recommendations from Netflix include Jarhead, Legend, Blow, and Public Enemies though...all decent ways to kill an hour or two.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
Paul had other performances, mostly as voice, but TV roles, too. His last theatrical releases were the animated Pixar movie Cars (2006) as Doc Hudson, the documantary Dale (2007) as narrator and the documentary The Meerkats (2008) as the narrator.

mdubya

Reaction score
I think Boardwalk Empire got a lot of its inspiration from Road to Perdition.

I can't ever get enough good gangster flicks (or series). They are true lessons in life.

PeteK

Reaction score
What was the movie with Jake Gyllenhaal where he was a crime scene photographer? Seemed like they ripped off Road to Perdition

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fantastic movie Scott. Saw it when it first came out and have been watching it since it came on Netflix.

One of Hanks' better roles. When I grow up I want to be Mike Sullivan.

I love his Thompson submachine gun that never runs out of ammo.

scott1970

Reaction score
Fantastic movie Scott. Saw it when it first came out and have been watching it since it came on Netflix.

One of Hanks' better roles. When I grow up I want to be Mike Sullivan.

I love his Thompson submachine gun that never runs out of ammo.
Yeah, that tommy gun had a rather high round count. And the scene with the snap-on pistol grip was ridiculous, because they don't attach that way. And, in my mind, Hanks should have been sporting a '21 Colt without a Cutts compensator. Here's one of the few pictures of my old '28 Thompson which I no longer own. Fun, fun, fun submachine.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Curious what you all think Newman's last line, "I'm glad it's you." means. I've always thought he meant he was glad his death came from Mike, but after watching it again tonight I now wonder if what he meant was that he was glad Mike was the one of his 2 sons to live (of course he didn't, but Rooney wouldn't have known that).

Latest Threads