The repair guy put a sticker on my amp!?!?!?

Is it cool for the repair place to put a sticker on your amplifier?

• Yeah, that way I know who to call if I have a problem or breakdown again.

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Sorry, No, No Way, No Thanks, Keep your crap off my amp!

Votes: 32 57.1%
  • Meh... Whatever.

Votes: 15 26.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dondoucette

Reaction score
A good friend of mine has been repairing audio equipment for 30+ years and always attaches a "REPAIRED BY" sticker to anything he repairs, we recently had a few beers while talking shop and he convinced me that his method increases repeat business so I ordered some stickers from the print shop. Long story short I have yet to use a single one as I can't bring myself to put a sticker on an amplifier that belongs to someone else, especially something vintage or collectible. :wow:

So what do you think, is it cool when you get your amp back from repair and it has a sticker on it? or not so cool?

Thanks for your input.

Don

BUDOKAI

Reaction score
cool for him lmao. and it depends on what amp.is the sticker crooked, placement, color etc. etc. but, no i think its wrong to have someones name on your property. sometimes there metal plaques not stickers. ex: Bill m

VastHorizon

Reaction score
A small, not so inconspicuous sticker at the corners won't bother me. I think people won't bother as long as it blends in with the grill cloth and the tolex.

Adds mojo! It's like a badge. :)

Adwex

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Use the right kind of label stock...the kind that peels off easily, so it doesn't leave ripped pieces of label stuck on there and hard to remove. Paper labels are OUT.

siore

Reaction score
Stickers on somewhere hidden from view, like chassis. But then, why not just a tag on the power cord?

siore

Reaction score
Out of view, but there when you need it.

siore

Reaction score
No sticky residues too. So that in the future if owner sells it, it won't affect the cosmetics, but the new owner will be glad a tag is there so he can call someone if anything is needed.

VastHorizon

Reaction score
Out of view, but there when you need it.
Hmm. I guess the point of the OP was to increase his business sales and to promote his name.

It should be somewhere which can be seen but can taken off without leaving any residue if the owner decides to discard it.

siore

Reaction score
Hmm. I guess the point of the OP was to increase his business sales and to promote his name.

It should be somewhere which can be seen but can taken off without leaving any residue if the owner decides to discard it.
From what he's told so far, it's there for repeat business. :D Same amp, but possibly new owners.

VastHorizon

Reaction score
From what he's told so far, it's there for repeat business. :D Same amp, but possibly new owners.
Hmm. Touche. My suggestion: Go with the tag on the cord. And give out the sticker to the owner.

That way he can decide whether to put it or not or to pass it along. :thumb:

siore

Reaction score
On another note, why do hi-fi audio techs seem to know each other? I took an old denon stereo amplifier for repair once, he took a peek inside and remarked, "oh, it's been to <other tech's name>.." Maybe it's unspoken rule they leave marks? I noticed that as he proceeded on signal tracing, he made tiny scratches on the pcb, sort of like check marks.

Are techs part of a secret guild in my area? :laugh2:

Es Paul

Reaction score
Not cool. he's not going to use my amp to bring in more business. When a mechanic repairs your car, does he put a sticker on your windshield?

lp_junkie

Reaction score
I like stickers on guitar cases but if you put a small cloth backed label on the back of the chassis I would be cool with it, but if it's visible anywhere else I would be highly pissed and probably talk bad about it, possibly costing you business instead of promoting it- something like "He did great work but that SOB put a f'n sticker on my amp".

Seems like a bad idea, to me if your work is good enough to warrant repeat business it will be spread by word of mouth more than any advertising you do.

LPV

Reaction score
I think I'd punch someone in the face if they put a sticker on my jubilee :rofl:

Blind Lemon

Reaction score
Not cool. Almost as uncool as punching someone in the face!!!!! If your good people will remember your name and number. No sticker needed.

BL

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm going to vote "not cool at all" as well. If he retubes an amp, then puts "repaired by" on it, and I sell it to someone who later sees it and goes "whoa!!! what the hell was wrong with this thing that it needed to be repaired??" It makes ME look bad for something I had nothing to do with!

HellfireLP

Reaction score
Not cool. he's not going to use my amp to bring in more business. When a mechanic repairs your car, does he put a sticker on your windshield?
yeah they do...its called the oil change sticker....but thats the static cling type...so it comes off easy.....or they sometimes put on licenes plate rings..