The raccoons are riding feral hogs into battle against the opossums! The mainstream media will not cover this!

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't often see wild pigs where i'm from though.
One day you probably will…. Epidemic in some areas….especially in the south…. Spit out litters like crazy…. Some folks down here hunt wild hogs more than deer/turkey/etc..
Coyotes are bad down here and a lot of other places… They get smoked on sight….

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
One day you probably will…. Epidemic in some areas….especially in the south…. Spit out litters like crazy…. Some folks down here hunt wild hogs more than deer/turkey/etc..
Coyotes are bad down here and a lot of other places… They get smoked on sight….
I live in the burbs with a little greenbelt path behind my house. Its a coyote/fox/opossum/critter highway. So i see coyotes pretty much everyday. I'm not sure if pigs could stay warm enough through a winter here. Are they suited for cold ?? I never see farmers have pigs out in the winter here but i've really never paid much attention.

Reactions: ehb

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in the burbs with a little greenbelt path behind my house. Its a coyote/fox/opossum/critter highway. So i see coyotes pretty much everyday. I'm not sure if pigs could stay warm enough through a winter here. Are they suited for cold ?? I never see farmers have pigs out in the winter here but i've really never paid much attention.

They have a lot of fat so they could probably adapt…. Wild hogs can destroy crops overnight…

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Hogs are an invasive species. I might suspend my "You eat what you kill" mantra for some hog hunting. Plus, I have a sh*tton of .308 ammo that I am otherwise unlikely to use.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hogs are an invasive species. I might suspend my "You eat what you kill" mantra for some hog hunting. Plus, I have a sh*tton of .308 ammo that I am otherwise unlikely to use.
We've got razorbacks and other feral hog types out the ass down here.

Trust me, you do *not* want to eat one of those suckers immediately after taking it in the field. No amount of marinading can erase that overwhelmingly sour, porky kind of taste they're noted for.

Most of the guys who go after those suckers for food around here use dogs to capture the hog... then they take it home, pen it, and feed it dried corn for about a month to sweeten the flavor up some.

Hog straight out of the swamp? It's the nastiest, gamiest wild game flavor I ever did taste. Just... really gross.

--R

KTM

Reaction score
Send that .308 my way! Whoa, let me rephrase that, Please ship some of that .308 to me. :)

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Send that .308 my way! Whoa, let me rephrase that, Please ship some of that .308 to me. :)
I also have about 10 cases of surplus 12 ga. (everything from steel duck shot to slug) that I currently don't have a use for. I don't duck hunt anymore (I guess I lost the love for freezing my balls off out on the water in January in Maine). The slugs and buckshot are my bear repellant, when needed. I almost exclusively use my 20 ga. for almost everything else (grouse, pheasant, clays, etc.). That stockpile of 12 ga. ammo is why I started the quest for a 12 ga. Browning Citori O/U. I figure 20+ cases of clay pigeons and I can get on top of things.

Also looking at remote control clay pigeon launchers.

TheX

I am Varna Sankar
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
AR10 is perfect for hogs.

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may be a "Valid name in Texas" - but as with most things Texan, that's just willful and stubborn obstinance. And I say that lovingly, as a "displaced Texan".

Taxonomy is specific. It's "Science", for diety's sake !

But, if your aim is to say "That critter is about to bite your ass !" - by all means, call it whatever you like.

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
We've got razorbacks and other feral hog types out the ass down here.

Trust me, you do *not* want to eat one of those suckers immediately after taking it in the field. No amount of marinading can erase that overwhelmingly sour, porky kind of taste they're noted for.

Most of the guys who go after those suckers for food around here use dogs to capture the hog... then they take it home, pen it, and feed it dried corn for about a month to sweeten the flavor up some.

Hog straight out of the swamp? It's the nastiest, gamiest wild game flavor I ever did taste. Just... really gross.

--R
They usually cut the balls off too. The guys I know that hog hunt for meat are fucking insane

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A fish and game guy said some years back that if hunters that year harvested 900% of the number in the previous year, it would only STABILIZE the population, not decrease it….

If my eyes clear up from my latest retina dance crap, I am thinking seriously about going ahead and ordering a 450 Thumper Bushmaster….for hogs…. with some good glass on top…

Down here, there are farm hogs that run with wild hogs and when that happens, you end up with some massive mean ass hogs running loose tearing up shit, wreaking havoc all over the place… The Thumper will have enough juice to put about anything down on this continent… (450 Thumper is pretty much a 45-70 variant on a magazine fed AR platform…. What gets hit by a 45-70 tends to stay hit…

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
A fish and game guy said some years back that if hunters that year harvested 900% of the number in the previous year, it would only STABILIZE the population, not decrease it….

If my eyes clear up from my latest retina dance crap, I am thinking seriously about going ahead and ordering a 450 Thumper Bushmaster….for hogs…. with some good glass on top…

Down here, there are farm hogs that run with wild hogs and when that happens, you end up with some massive mean ass hogs running loose tearing up shit, wreaking havoc all over the place… The Thumper will have enough juice to put about anything down on this continent… (450 Thumper is pretty much a 45-70 variant on a magazine fed AR platform…. What gets hit by a 45-70 tends to stay hit…
My son and his friends use AR 15s and will shoot hogs until they run out of ammo. They come back the next day and there's just as many if not more hogs than there were before. They've grown tired of killing them, no sport in it. The farmers appreciate it though

Latest Threads