The price of Braz fingerboard lesters in Europe!

Brek

Reaction score
Is beyond a joke, £10k average. Worked out I can get a good pre 2013 R8 for just over £2k, send to Bavarian makeovers for bm2, will need neck reset as not hide glue on pre 2013, thinking there is as Mr J finds issues with most neck sets from the factory, There is little point paying more for a post 2013, so factor it in to the source guitar purchase decision. Which means for a little over £6k, I get the braz board, an expert refinishing in non plasticised lacquer and a burst shoot that would age naturally to my spec. Damn, I talked myself into it. Found a lightweight candidate, just being held up by uk’s hmrc paying the money they owe me.

ARandall

Reaction score
Gibson braz guitars have a prestige and guaranteed resale......even if the more recent influx has devalued the 2003 range a bit.
Yours will always be 'modified' guitar, and will never come close to the resale value of a genuine factory braz. So its a cheaper way of getting into it, but less resale when it comes down to it - even if it is more vintage accurate in spec.
I mean its like complaining about anything that is antique/vintage and commands more money than its instrinsic 'use worth'. Its pointless harping on about it.....you're wasting energy.

But this sort of value assessment is why I scratch build........for way less than the cost of even a USA line (lefty) I can indulge myself in a great hobby, pass time in lockdown and get a wonderful instrument at the end that I can take pride in creating. All positives.........

Brek

Reaction score
Fair point about the whinging lol. Re: its resale value, its a non issue for this project, my goal is a braz board, lightweight, the rest will be a bonus. I wish I was skilled enough for a scratch build though. I have some woodworking skills, but not at the point it would be a goer for a build. I think, on reflection, the pricing in Europe are, shall be say, 'triers' I have seen a BM" for sale for £10k also in my searching. I appreciate your input Mr R. I am new to this whole Gibson historic thing, been playing on and off since I was 13, recently I have been bitten by the 'bug' to get as close to the '59 as my low budget will allow. I have a goal to become a good blues player, I would class myself at the moment as a solid rhythm guitarist, have good timing, but struggle with the fluidity and control lead playing requires, gunna be a long journey. If guitar lives up to my hopes I will probably sell off the R0 and R9, one killer guitar will do me. Will invest (?) spend lol, their money in a couple of good amp heads and cabs.

Brek

Reaction score
Buy a 2012 with the two-ply fretboard and do it a favour with a nice Braz board!
funny you say that Joff, that's exactly what I have my eye on.

My song of the moment:

Last edited:

THDNUT

Reaction score
Brek....

Or, you can buy a pre 2013 R8 for 2k, enjoy it as is and spend the other 4k on a boutique amp and other stuff.:wave:

Or, spend the other 4k on hookers and blow. :naughty:

Brek

Reaction score
Brek....

Or, you can buy a pre 2013 R8 for 2k, enjoy it as is and spend the other 4k on a boutique amp and other stuff.:wave:

Or, spend the other 4k on hookers and blow. :naughty:
Funny, I need to have a try of these ‘boutique’ amps see if they do what people claim of them., yes I could keep the r8 as stock, but really curious as to what I will get back.

ARandall

Reaction score
You'll get back a more vintage looking guitar.
From a tone perspective there is no guarantee that it will be even equal to what you sent away.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Hey Brek, while i do agree with some of your points, you're looking at it wrong. I can get an exact 59 Les Paul, only assembled 60 years later, save $200,000, and people who buy real bursts are chumps. Same thing, right?

Originally is important to many when it comes to Braz reissues and I think that is clearly reflected on the secondhand market.

Brek

Reaction score
it was not how i meant it, i see what you mean though. I was mainly observing the fact that the prices in europe are very high for braz boards. I take on board what you are all saying about resale value. and the originality factor, Its a valid point, but not part of my agenda in doing this. I have seen a few guitars for sale with mods and have thought 'good luck with that' they won't get back what they spent regardless of how much hyperbole they add to the advert. I was kinda making a joke to myself justifying spending 4600 euros on a guitar makeover not knocking someone for spending 9/10k upwards on a Gibson.

Brek

Reaction score
Just get a nice solid Gibson and get a Brazil board on it-probably still cheaper than 10 grand.
That was the plan but, I would like to go on record though and thank those who said just enjoy the guitar, you have talked sense into me. I have given the matter a lot of thought since getting the R8 and decided that the £ to convert is too much for me to justify. Especially with how good this R8 has actually turned out to be. Had a session tonight with the R0 and after a couple of hours of R0 plugged the R8 in and what a sound, the neck pickup is 7.47 or thereabouts and quieter output but a nice contrast in tone, was giving me a sound that hinted at the sounds Mr knopfler laid down on the brothers in arms album, at some point I will commit to the multitrack and let Y'all have a listen, once I get to a point where my playing won't embarrass myself.

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
A quick word on braz, I have had several, both 03 and historic makeovers while I loved the HM guitars, the 03’s were really special.

he is right in one respect that it will never be a factory Gibson again ... if that is not important to you than go for it.
But be aware that the market for resale on re worked guitars is a niche market, meaning the right buyer needs to be interested...

On the other hand, selling the Braz from Gibson is the same thing... and while the 03 values go up and down.... I doubt the 2018’s will be higher than their original price ... because they were set to high...

The 03’s enjoyed a nearly 90% increase .... you will never likely to see that again...

I can say that getting a guitar reworked is fun.... commissioning one is better... but more risky, especially if that builder is an unknown.

as far as the wood itself ... they can be creamy is feel and appearance. I have only seen one I didn’t care for

Latest Threads