The Politics Rule

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have a band practice once a week. Lately, whenever we take a 10 minute break 2 of the guys start talking politics. And they are mad. They are venomous. I never say a thing, either does the bass player. What annoys me is that the way these two guys talk they just assume that we all must agree with them. I don't...I don't even know what the bass player thinks, but he's a cop so I can only guess.

The thing is, I bear them no malice for their political views....but I know in my heart they would bear ME malice if they knew what my views were....and that's why I keep silent. I like this band and I don't want it to fall apart because of something like this.

I'm going to take a cue from how this forum is run and impose a "no politics" rule. I'm not sure how to do that exactly though without tipping my hand that I am diametrically opposed to their views. I might just try saying "listen guys...let's drop the politics. We're trying to make music here and I think we should keep things light"....

Meatwad

Reaction score
I just started playing with a new group a while back.

So far, not one word of this stuff has come up.
It's one of the reasons I keep going back.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Canadian politics? Is that when you discuss your preferences of Tim Horton's donuts or coffees (which would explain why the cop would have strong feelings).

To answer your question... you just need a moderator!
No not Canadian politics. I wish it was....that's really what we should be discussing if anything. And I never said the bass player had strong views...only that I didn't know what his views are.
But let's not derail this by actually talking politics...I just want to discuss how to deal with these guys.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
"I stay out of politics" is my stock answer. There really is no point in engaging in such discussions. You're not going to change anyone's mind, and that kind of energy is bad for your health.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tough chore you have Freddy. Just by mentioning it you may be tipping your hand that your politics are different from theirs, from there it could go two ways depending on their maturity level: They could say "Okay, your right" and that's the end of it, or "Why, are you on the OTHER SIDE?!!!" and then the ensuing ugliness and animus.

I don't envy you.

How about an avenue of escape? Is there another topic these guys are interested in like muscle cars, WWII history, that you can engage them in and divert them from politics?

Question: Is the band a democracy or, for instance, it's your band and you are the leader? If it's your band and things fester with no let up in sight, you may have no choice but to use the bully pulpit -- albeit diplomatically -- and impose a moratorium on the subject. If it's a democracy then humbly suggesting "guys, can we talk about something other than politics?" may or may not do the trick. Like I said, depends on the maturity of the other two guys.

Good luck.

Last edited:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my old fart band, we’ve known each other for decades and decades...

We are all over the map politically. We try to keep all drama bullshit out of the picture because of brotherly love and such...we’d do anything for each other...

It takes only a tiny bit of effort....a lot less than getting all poochie lipped over the latest bullshit, foaming at the mouth, etc...

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I take it religion is ok?
Religion has been discussed, same with race. But it was a non issue....nobody was taking any kind of hard stand like these guys do with politics.

"I stay out of politics" is my stock answer. There really is no point in engaging in such discussions. You're not going to change anyone's mind, and that kind of energy is bad for your health.
I don't want to change anyone's minds. They are welcome to their opinions and we can be friends...I just don't think it's relevant to what we're doing.

Tough chore you have Freddy. Just by mentioning it you may be tipping your hand that your politics are different from theirs, from there it could go two ways depending on their maturity level: They could say "Okay, your right" and that's the end of it, or "Why, are you on the OTHER SIDE?!!!" and then the ensuing ugliness and animus.

I don't envy you.

How about an avenue of escape? Is there another topic these guys are interested in like muscle cars, WWII history, that you can engage them in and divert them from politics?

Question: Is the band a democracy or, for instance, it's your band and you are the leader? If it's your band and things fester with no let up in sight, you may have no choice but to use the bully pulpit -- albeit diplomatically -- and impose a moratorium on the subject. If it's a democracy then humbly suggesting "guys, can we talk about something other than politics?" may or may not do the trick. Like I said, depends on the maturity of the other two guys.

Good luck.
It is more or less a democracy...I may be the defacto leader when it comes to musical decisions but I encourage input from all. I have tried the diversion tactic....doesn't work. I like the idea of just stating "guys, can we talk about something other than politics?" Because that way all I'm saying is let's not bring negative vibes in here. Yeah...I like that.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Somebody has to say something or nothing will change, bud....
You need to have a talk with them. If they can't get behind that they are too immature to be in your band.
Oh definitely I will do something. I thought it might peter out...I thought maybe it was just a one time or two time thing....but it has happened now 3 times in a row. Just trying to figure the best way to say it.

Olds442

Reaction score
Oh definitely I will do something. I thought it might peter out...I thought maybe it was just a one time or two time thing....but it has happened now 3 times in a row. Just trying to figure the best way to say it.
how about "good thing we don't live there."

seems like the obvious wording to me.

fett

Reaction score
Have a meeting and have each member have a chance to share their views so there is no second-guessing. Close the meeting with; "That is the end of talking politics or exit stage-left."

Last edited:

Latest Threads