The Peter Frampton Appreciation Thread

Midnight Blues

Reaction score
I've been going through my old Guitar Player magazines, tearing-out lessons/articles that I want to save before trashing the rest of the magazine and as you know, being the huge Frampton fan that I have been/am (50 years next year), I came across this article and thought I'd share. I hope that at least some of you will find it useful/enjoyable:

:cheers2:

Tdurden032

Reaction score
What’s not to like about Peter Frampton? Great catalogue of music, tremendous player and performer - my buddy met him down in the Cayman Islands about 10-15 years ago - super cool guy who talked to him at length about music, etc.

Midnight Blues

Reaction score
What’s not to like about Peter Frampton? Great catalogue of music, tremendous player and performer - my buddy met him down in the Cayman Islands about 10-15 years ago - super cool guy who talked to him at length about music, etc.
I couldn't agree more!

Thanks for the post and :cheers2:

Midnight Blues

Reaction score
Pre-ordered the audio book...

Thanks for letting me know :)
Hey Ray,

Nice to read from you again! Hope all is well!

My sister, who follows Frampton (amongst others) on FB and Instagram) just sent me this yesterday:

"Publisher's Summary
A revelatory memoir by rock icon and legendary guitarist Peter Frampton.
Do You Feel Like I Do? is the incredible story of Peter Frampton's positively resilient life and career told in his own words for the first time. His monumental album Frampton Comes Alive! spawned three top-20singles and sold eight million copies the year it was released (more than 17 million to date), and it was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in January 2020.
Frampton was on a path to stardom from an early age, first as the lead singer and guitarist of the Herd and then as cofounder - along with Steve Marriott - of one of the first supergroups, Humble Pie. Frampton was part of a tight-knit collective of British '60s musicians with close ties to the Rolling Stones, the Beatles, and the Who. This led to Frampton playing on George Harrison's solo debut, All Things Must Pass, as well as to Ringo Starr and Billy Preston appearing on Frampton's own solo debut. By age 22, Frampton was touring incessantly and finding new sounds with the talk box, which would become his signature guitar effect.
Frampton remembers his enduring friendship with David Bowie. Growing up as schoolmates, crossing paths throughout their careers, and playing together on the Glass Spider Tour, the two developed an unshakable bond. Frampton also shares fascinating stories of his collaborative work with Harry Nilsson, Stevie Wonder, B. B. King, and members of Pearl Jam. He reveals both the blessing and curse of Frampton Comes Alive!, opening up about becoming the cover boy he never wanted to be, his overcoming substance abuse, and how he has continued to play and pour his heart into his music despite an inflammatory muscle disease and his retirement from the road.
Peppered throughout his narrative is the story of his favorite guitar, the Phenix, which he thought he'd lost in a fiery plane crash in 1980. But in 2011, it mysteriously showed up again - saved from the wreckage. Frampton tells of that unlikely reunion here in full for the first time and why the miraculous reappearance is emblematic of his life and career as a quintessential artist.

©2020 Phenix Books LLC (P)2020 Hachette Books"

Was just coming here to post it and I saw your post about it.

Even though I ordered the book, I'm thinking about ordering this too. Are there any special requirements you need, like a "Kindle" or something?

Thanks for the post Ray and :cheers2:

TXOldRedRocker

Reaction score
I follow him in FB and Insta, but not Twitter. I saw this post and listened to him tell a story from the book, for the audio book. It was a bit shocking. Turns out two members of The Who, Keith and John, held Peter out a window by the ankles, four stories above the ground. Glad they didn't drop him.

Hey Ray,

Nice to read from you again! Hope all is well!

My sister, who follows Frampton (amongst others) on FB and Instagram) just sent me this yesterday:

"Publisher's Summary
A revelatory memoir by rock icon and legendary guitarist Peter Frampton.
Do You Feel Like I Do? is the incredible story of Peter Frampton's positively resilient life and career told in his own words for the first time. His monumental album Frampton Comes Alive! spawned three top-20singles and sold eight million copies the year it was released (more than 17 million to date), and it was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in January 2020.
Frampton was on a path to stardom from an early age, first as the lead singer and guitarist of the Herd and then as cofounder - along with Steve Marriott - of one of the first supergroups, Humble Pie. Frampton was part of a tight-knit collective of British '60s musicians with close ties to the Rolling Stones, the Beatles, and the Who. This led to Frampton playing on George Harrison's solo debut, All Things Must Pass, as well as to Ringo Starr and Billy Preston appearing on Frampton's own solo debut. By age 22, Frampton was touring incessantly and finding new sounds with the talk box, which would become his signature guitar effect.
Frampton remembers his enduring friendship with David Bowie. Growing up as schoolmates, crossing paths throughout their careers, and playing together on the Glass Spider Tour, the two developed an unshakable bond. Frampton also shares fascinating stories of his collaborative work with Harry Nilsson, Stevie Wonder, B. B. King, and members of Pearl Jam. He reveals both the blessing and curse of Frampton Comes Alive!, opening up about becoming the cover boy he never wanted to be, his overcoming substance abuse, and how he has continued to play and pour his heart into his music despite an inflammatory muscle disease and his retirement from the road.
Peppered throughout his narrative is the story of his favorite guitar, the Phenix, which he thought he'd lost in a fiery plane crash in 1980. But in 2011, it mysteriously showed up again - saved from the wreckage. Frampton tells of that unlikely reunion here in full for the first time and why the miraculous reappearance is emblematic of his life and career as a quintessential artist.

©2020 Phenix Books LLC (P)2020 Hachette Books"

Was just coming here to post it and I saw your post about it.

Even though I ordered the book, I'm thinking about ordering this too. Are there any special requirements you need, like a "Kindle" or something?

Thanks for the post Ray and :cheers2:

Midnight Blues

Reaction score
From Guitar Player:

"Eric Clapton Announces 'Crossroads Guitar Festival 2019' Live Album
By Jackson Maxwell
The massive, 42-song collection features performances from Buddy Guy, Jeff Beck, Peter Frampton and more.

(Image credit: Dave J Hogan/Getty Images)

Eric Clapton has announced a live album of performances culled from the 2019 edition of his Crossroads Guitar Festival.
Spanning 3CDs and 6LPs - and 2DVDs and a Blu-ray - the 42-song set features performances from Buddy Guy, Jeff Beck,
Peter Frampton, Gary Clark Jr., The Marcus King Band, Sheryl Crow, Bonnie Raitt, Clapton himself and many, many more.
Taking place at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas on September 20 & 21, 2019, the festival was put together to raise money for the Crossroads Centre in Antigua, the chemical dependency treatment and education facility that Clapton helped found in 1998.

(Image credit: Crossroads Concerts LLC)

Highlights from the mammoth live album/film include Clapton and Frampton's version of The Beatles' "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (the first time the two had ever shared a stage together), Clapton's version of "Layla" with John Mayer and Clapton's acoustic version of "Wonderful Tonight" with Andy Fairweather Low.

Other highlights include brief but incendiary sets from Jeff Beck, Gary Clark Jr., Lianne La Havas and many more, plus Clapton's moving cover of Prince's "Purple Rain."

(Image credit: Crossroads Concerts LLC)

Eric Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival 2019 is set for a November 20 release. To preorder the album, step right this way.

Eric Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival 2019 tracklist:
  • "Native Stepson" – Sonny Landreth
  • "Wonderful Tonight" – Eric Clapton & Andy Fairweather Low
  • "Lay Down Sally" – Eric Clapton & Andy Fairweather Low
  • "Million Miles" – Bonnie Raitt, Keb’ Mo’ & Alan Darby
  • "Son’s Gonna Rise" – Citizen Cope with Gary Clark Jr.
  • "Lait / De Ushuaia A La Quiaca" - Gustavo Santaolalla
  • "I Wanna Be Your Dog" – Doyle Bramhall II with Tedeschi Trucks, Band
  • "That’s How Strong My Love Is" – Doyle Bramhall II with Tedeschi Trucks Band
  • "Lift Off"– Tom Misch
  • "Cognac" – Buddy Guy & Jonny Lang
  • "Everything Is Broken" – Sheryl Crow & Bonnie Raitt
  • "Every Day Is A Winding Road" – Sheryl Crow with James Bay
  • "Retrato" – Daniel Santiago & Pedro Martins
  • "B-Side" – Kurt Rosenwinkel with Pedro Martins
  • "Baby, Please Come Home" – Jimmie Vaughan with Bonnie Raitt
  • "How Long" – The Marcus King Band
  • "Goodbye Carolina" – The Marcus King Band
  • "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" – Peter Frampton with Eric Clapton
  • "Space For The Papa" – Jeff Beck
  • "Big Block" – Jeff Beck
  • "Caroline, No" – Jeff Beck
  • "Cut Em Loose" – Robert Randolph
  • "Hold Back The River" – James Bay
  • "When We Were On Fire" – James Bay
  • "Mas y Mas" – Los Lobos
  • "Am I Wrong?" – Keb’ Mo’
  • "Slow Dancing In A Burning Room" – John Mayer
  • "How Blue Can You Get?" – Tedeschi Trucks Band
  • "Shame" – Tedeschi Trucks Band
  • "Is Your Love Big Enough" – Lianne La Havas
  • "I Say A Little Prayer" – Lianne La Havas
  • "Feed The Babies" – Gary Clark Jr.
  • "I Got My Eyes On You (Locked & Loaded)" – Gary Clark Jr.
  • "Pearl Cadillac" – Gary Clark Jr.
  • "Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down" – Vince Gill with Albert Lee & Jerry Douglas
  • "Tulsa Time" – Vince Gill with Albert Lee, Bradley Walker, Albert Lee & Jerry Douglas
  • "Drifting Too Far From The Shore" – Bradley Walker with Vince Gill, Albert Lee & Jerry Douglas
  • "Badge"– Eric Clapton
  • "Layla" – Eric Clapton with John Mayer & Doyle Bramhall II
  • "Purple Rain" – Eric Clapton & Ensemble
  • "High Time We Went" – Eric Clapton & Ensemble
  • "Going Going Gone" - Doyle Bramhall II with Tedeschi Trucks Band'

:cheers2:

Midnight Blues

Reaction score
I follow him in FB and Insta, but not Twitter. I saw this post and listened to him tell a story from the book, for the audio book. It was a bit shocking. Turns out two members of The Who, Keith and John, held Peter out a window by the ankles, four stories above the ground. Glad they didn't drop him.
REALLY! LOL!

I'm not a member of those. Not much for social media aside from the MLPF, the LPF and the MF. My sister usually keeps me informed of what's happening though.

Might be nice to have the audio version so you can hear the stories in his own words?

Thanks for the post TX and :cheers2:

Midnight Blues

Reaction score
Don't know if this includes orders from Barnes & Noble, but I submitted mine anyway:

TXOldRedRocker

Reaction score
Just submitted mine too. We'll see.

BTW, I spent some significant time adjusting the 3 PUPs on my Frampton LP. Got it sounding great with the stock PUPs.

Midnight Blues

Reaction score
Just submitted mine too. We'll see.

BTW, I spent some significant time adjusting the 3 PUPs on my Frampton LP. Got it sounding great with the stock PUPs.
Got mine a couple of days ago and downloaded it (naturally). I've seen the band play it live a number of times and this is a good one!

Thanks for the post TX and :cheers2:

Latest Threads