The PAF Clone Can Of Worms

TXOldRedRocker

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of the ones you listed, I have only had Fralin Pure PAF's. It's my #1. Incredible!! I have another set of Fralin's, different model. Just as impressive. Some SD's, and some stock Gibson's. I like all my third party pickups better than all the Gibson stock pickups in my 5 Les Paul's. Only two of the Gibson's are currently stock. Replacements for one are shipping out today. For the last one, I won't get a chance to buy those pickups until May.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Fralin Pure PAFs seem pretty loose in the lows to me, though I've never owned a set, only played some on someone else's guitar. PAFs aren't that tight to begin with, but Fralins seemed more loose than normal.

sonar1

Reaction score
I had a Barney Kessel Gibson with PAf’s.

For my ears, the SD Antiquity humbucker most reminded me of that sound in various hollow body arch tops I tried it in.
Seth Lovers more modern and “open” sounding but close.
In semi-hollow I’ve like Burstbuckers.
In solid body guitars 490’s have a familiar wooliness.

jrkhav

Reaction score
I'm aware that DiMarzio's Super Distortion is a high output ceramic magnet humbucker.
Based on other humbuckers with similar properties that I have to hand, I'm thinking this Super Distortion will be in the same ballpark.
So, approx 14-16 Kohms, induction is tricky but if approx 7.0 - 8.0 henries then based on others a resonant peak in the region of 6 - 6.5 kHz seems plausible.

If I recall the specs of Duncans Pearly Gates Bridge it has a resonant peak at 6.3KHz.(I think..)
Replace the alnico 2 magnet with a strong alnico 5 and the resonant peak should rise as induction falls, I'm speculating towards the 6.5 - 6.8 KHz range.

Is it a given that DiMarzio's Super Distortion will be brighter than some ceramic and alnico humbuckers ? Possibly, but as a rule?

Pickups are a complex set of variables and if I'm making mistakes let me know, I'm on a learning curve..
This is a whole thing in and of itself I was also finding when researching, that the magnets could be swapped out to strengthen/weaken the output. The numbers are a bit over my head at the moment, this is all very new to me. Only recently started getting into the possibility of all these modifications, for a while before now I just played whatever and didn't really worry about the sound all too much :rofl:

JohnnyN

Reaction score
This is a whole thing in and of itself I was also finding when researching, that the magnets could be swapped out to strengthen/weaken the output. The numbers are a bit over my head at the moment, this is all very new to me. Only recently started getting into the possibility of all these modifications, for a while before now I just played whatever and didn't really worry about the sound all too much :rofl:
Magnet swapping is a popular sport here :)
I don't know about current production Super Distortions, but some decades ago the magnet was epoxy glued, making it impossible to remove.

AcVox

Reaction score
jrkhav, the rabbit hole beckons my friend, careful where you step, people just dissappear.. :)

Latest Threads