The PA System BS Thread (Band Drama HERE)

The_Sentry

Reaction score
I know some of y'all love these threads to bits. :laugh2:

Wait...:rolleyes:

:rofl:

OK, more band drama....this time over the PA system.

The backdrop: For months my cover band has been using my PA system. No biggie, right? Well, the problem is this: When I bought the PA system, I bought it for my power trio Sin Nombre. It's a 300 watt Kustom 8 channel PA that has no way to separately power monitors. (Usually I run the 2 monitors off the mains.) It has no separate controls for bass, treble, etc. When I bought it the only thing I was planning on using it for was maybe...1 or 2 vocal microphones. For that...it's OK with a band that small.

Now this band? It's a 5 piece with 4 vocal microphones, percussion (congas) that require a mic so people can hear 'em, and the band has had this long standing issue about micing the instruments up (at least the 2 guitars to get levels checked.)

Well, obviously my 300 watt PA doesn't cut it for a band like this. I've known this, and I've been complaining about it for MONTHS now. I even did a video of the band without the instruments mic'd up and the sound quality is crap.

Now...here's the rub...the bass player AND lead singer of this band...BOTH have better PA systems. The singer inparticular has an 18 channel Carvin mixer with a power amp, EQ, and high end Carvin mains and monitors.

So why in the bloody F%$& does he keep asking me to bring mine? :rolleyes:

I've had some long-standing issues with this band over what we've been presenting as a product. From day one over the volume issues I've told said singer that if he wants to play the better paying gigs for the better clientele...we need a professional sound system. He HAS one. For months I let it slide because he kept it at the place where I hosted the Open Jam, and I could understand how it would be a bear to tear it down and set it up over and over. (That was a political move on my part because he allowed me to use the space for other projects....including rehearsals with other ensembles.)

But...he made the decision to abandon it and close it down. So now this killer PA system is just sitting, ready to go....and still he doesn't want to use it.

:wtf:

I think after 8 months I'm also a bit tired of dragging aroud the lion's share of the band's gear....(and in a band where I am NOT the lead singer)....but I think what really pisses me off about this...I've had these conversations with him about this over, and over, and so has another member, and he's sat there and went "Oh yeah, we have to have the best sound possible...I agree with you!" Then he turns around and keeps insisting that we use my crappy little PA system before every show. In my opinion, what he's TELLING me is that when it comes right down to it...he doesn't really give a sh!t what this band sounds like at all. It's more of a case where he's happy having someone else drag their inferior gig...just as long as he doesn't have to drag his out there.

:lol:

I told him point blank 2 weeks ago after yet another show with a crappy sound check "Dude, I'm sick and f'ing tired of using this PA for our shows! It is NOT ADEQUATE for our needs!" This doesn't stop him from asking though.

I told myself the next time he asks me about that PA, I'm going to ask him straight up if he really gives a sh!t about what this band sounds like, and if he was blowing smoke up my ass about our previous conversations..including one that he KNOWS damned well is a really sore point for me which is a balanced sound from the band. (He's been known to do this: The other topic is material...he keeps agreeing "Oh yeah, we need to take on more material" and of course, every week it's "Brown Eyed Girl/Mustang Sally/Sweet Home Alabama". Last Wednesday it was "Freebird"....Jesus H.)

I get how people don't want to drag gear to shows. It's been a pain in the ass for me for a while. Even with the power trio..I was lugging around that PA and my guitar equipment. But this is different. To me, this is like he's got a brand new Lexus and he wants to go everywhere in my POS Toyota Corolla. His last reason "We don't have the space".

Allrighty.

Hell, I don't know if I should give a sh!t anymore. Maybe I should be like the bass player. He gets other people to drag his bass rig around for him ("Won't fit in my car/on my motorcycle" :laugh2: ). And when he doesn't want to go, he'll make the whole damned band wait on him. The rehearsal prior to the fair gig (our biggest gig to date), he showed up an hour and a half late and ordered dinner.

I'm about at the point where I'm ready to start returning the favors.

So....anyway....am I blowing this out of proportion? Shouldn't I want the band to have the best sound possible?

If someone has a better PA than me, why are they asking to use mine....even though they KNOW it's not adequate for the band's needs? Does the dude give a sh!t in your opinion?

*PS: I have a chance of jumping to another cover band where they are professional about their sound. But, another band...different drama. I'm also getting tired of jumping bands. Plus, my drummer which is in both bands with me...I want us to start getting serious about the original band since we're about ready to finally drop the album once it gets back from Disc Makers*

delawaregold

_______Artie_______
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sound and Lights, gets a full share.
5 piece band, money gets split 6 ways. Sound gets a share.
You all will be killing each other to bring the sound, if it pays.
Nobody wants to haul it for free. Just sayin'.

180gROC

Reaction score
Well... nobody in your band could ever accuse you of holding your opinions. You pretty much told him point blank. Is he just hard headed?

I dunno man... I saw him humping your leg in one video. I ain't sayin'... I'm just sayin'...

That (not) being said. You know I know how hard it can be finding the right singer. The search for a singer is the bane of my musical existence.

edit: What Delawaregold said! Never thought of that! I've been in the position of being the only one with a truck, and arms, apparently. Excellent plan!

The_Sentry

Reaction score
Sound and Lights, gets a full share.
5 piece band, money gets split 6 ways. Sound gets a share.
You all will be killing each other to bring the sound, if it pays.
Nobody wants to haul it for free. Just sayin'.

Sounds good to me. I'll bring it up tonight at the show. Thanks, Deleware! :D

Agave_Blue

Reaction score
Have you ever just said, "No. Bring yours or find something else." when asks if you're bringing your PA?

Reading some of these various "band drama" threads makes me wonder if the reason some bands are more successful and others are not comes down more to organization, preparation & determination and less on pure talent.

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
park your PA in the practice space, haul his PA for gigs.

Strikerfox

Reaction score
Just buy a Professional PA for your gigs and problem solved.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I agree with what someone else said, just dont bring yours and tell him to bring his. If he doesn't comply just move on as he isnt serious about this stuff like you are.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
Have you ever just said, "No. Bring yours or find something else." when asks if you're bringing your PA?

Reading some of these various "band drama" threads makes me wonder if the reason some bands are more successful and others are not comes down more to organization, preparation & determination and less on pure talent.

This is true.

I don't think it has much to do with talent so much as what you mentioned. As for the PA, 2 weeks ago he agreed we weren't gong to use it anymore. Then last Wednesday, he asked to use it...I told him no. :laugh2: Enough is enough, already.

I think for me I'm sort of starting to blow off a lot of topics as lip service. This is one issue, the material is another. No matter what the dude says, when push comes to shove at a gig....he wants to play the same tired old crap everyone else is playing. Plus, we got 2 guys that don't make practice consistently.

park your PA in the practice space, haul his PA for gigs.

We currently don't have a practice place....we did, he made the decision to abandon it. It's all the more reason I'm really starting to look at my original band as something worth putting a hell of a lot more effort into.

Just buy a Professional PA for your gigs and problem solved.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I agree with what someone else said, just dont bring yours and tell him to bring his. If he doesn't comply just move on as he isnt serious about this stuff like you are.

:laugh2:

That's the thing...he has a full on, professional PA. It's like this band isn't "good enough" to use it or something. :wtf:

Oh well. He'll be bringin' his. If he asks me to bring another PA, I'm going to show up with a boom box and a karaoke kit. :rofl:

Nicky

On The Road Less Traveled
Reaction score
To add perspective, I wish I was in a regular band, drama and all.:rolleyes:

Nightrain

Reaction score
I think for me I'm sort of starting to blow off a lot of topics as lip service. This is one issue, the material is another. No matter what the dude says, when push comes to shove at a gig....he wants to play the same tired old crap everyone else is playing. Plus, we got 2 guys that don't make practice consistently.:

Doesn't sound like a band to me.

siore

Reaction score
What if you guys hired a roadie? Would he be as hesitant to bring his PA along?

delawaregold

_______Artie_______
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What if you guys hired a roadie? Would he be as hesitant to bring his PA along?

In Philly, "roadies" with a sound system are called "Sound Guys" and get $300 a night.

Weaver

Reaction score
I agree with Stevie you have to tell him the truth, the aliens abducted the pa.

Mr Insane

Reaction score
Last year I was in a little start-up cover band that never got past the practice stage. The drummer wanted to get a top of the line sound system. Maybe if we all won the lottery, had a few paying gigs scheduled, or any gigs for that matter.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
In Philly, "roadies" with a sound system are called "Sound Guys" and get $300 a night.

Ha! The band would be giving away all of its profits.....:laugh2:

Most venues up here won't pay anything more than 300 (and that's actually better than it is in the city.)

On a side note...I do miss my power trio. That was nice to show up to a gig, play it, and walk out with the cut between 3 people vs. 5...(and not deal with these endless sound issues and stages which are too bloody small for 5 people.)

The_Sentry

Reaction score
What happened to the power trio?

It's still around...we're getting ready to drop an album....

Sin Nombre on Facebook

After the old bass player was let go back in December...we went as a cover/original band for a while with the new bass player...but between my current band (topic of the discussion), the preference towards originals, and health issues with one of the members, we've been hibernating a bit until this album gets out. (Then we'll have something to actually promote at our shows and it's something we can use as a foundation for any merch if we catch on...)

I'll admit I'm a band whore. Always have been. But I guess for me it's coming down to booking and playing shows and members in the band not giving a sh!t about how the band sounds....to me, that's sort of a slap in the face. If you're not going to do something as best as you can (or offer up your best), then what's the damned point, you know?

Latest Threads