The Other Single-Cuts Classifieds (read the rules before posting)

mojolang

Reaction score
FS: Original Bartlett '59 and Master-built '59 with Bartlett-top

Both guitars are located in the EU, I can ship them by DPD fully insured. Both guitars were built by the same specs, the Original Bartlett is aged and the other one is not aged. Both sounds really similar, but obviously the original Bartlett demands a higher price.

If you need more pics, infos PM me!

Bartlett '59 - 7650 EUR

View attachment 498060

View attachment 498061

Master-built Bartlett-top '59 (by local builder) - 3950 EUR

(Supplied in a Brown/pink classic hard case - not the one on the photos)

View attachment 498062

View attachment 498063

View attachment 498065
Hi all,

Leaving aside these aren’t “MIJ”...

Please enlighten me. What’s the difference between these two aside from price?

Why would one purchase one of these (used, anyway) as opposed to a Crews, Navigator, Tokai, etc.?

Thanks.

mdubya

Reaction score
Hi all,

Leaving aside these aren’t “MIJ”...

Please enlighten me. What’s the difference between these two aside from price?

Why would one purchase one of these (used, anyway) as opposed to a Crews, Navigator, Tokai, etc.?

Thanks.
One is built by Bartlett himself. One is built by someone else using only a Bartlett supplied top.

If you aren't familiar with the craftsmanship and vintage accuracy associated with Bartlett, it won't be of much interest. Something like a Bartlett or Yaron build is as close as you will get to actual vintage.

Fenderbendr

Reaction score
I'm looking for a MIJ LP with a budget of $2000.

I currently have a 2020 R8 that sounds great, but has a big neck that can be a handful to play, and has an average plain top, so I'll be selling it to get something different. For the price I paid for it, I'm just not bonding with it to justify keeping it around.

Will $2000 get me a nice MIJ LP that will rival a custom shop, or would I have to spend more?

I know I want one with a 59-60 neck, a flame top, and ideally a weight under 10lbs.

I’d also be interested in an older black LP custom style with the yellowed binding. Always loved the look of those.

PM me if you have anything I might like!

Last edited:

mono

Reaction score
It depends if you want a solid flame maple top or would be happy with a veneer.

In terms of Tokai, Navigator, Burny, Greco and all the rest... Solid flame tops will be generally cost a bit more than $2000 but wlll be on par with Gibson's. Think of them as an alternative, but not always a massively cheaper alternative.

Solid tops on newer guitars will also be easier to come by than vintage so bear that in mind if you want a 'broken in' instrument.

Fenderbendr

Reaction score
It depends if you want a solid flame maple top or would be happy with a veneer.

In terms of Tokai, Navigator, Burny, Greco and all the rest... Solid flame tops will be generally cost a bit more than $2000 but wlll be on par with Gibson's. Think of them as an alternative, but not always a massively cheaper alternative.

Solid tops on newer guitars will also be easier to come by than vintage so bear that in mind if you want a 'broken in' instrument.
Yeah, I’d really prefer a solid maple flame top over a veneer. But I might take an older vintage LP with a plainer top over a new and shiny flame top.

I’d also be interested in an older LP custom type guitar like those older Greco’s.

An Edwards Pure Material would have everything you are looking for and be within budget. Slimmer neck, nitro, flame top, long tenon.

@zombywoof as he might be willing to sell one.
Yeah, he PM’d me about it. I’ll have to look into it. I’d also be interested in an older LP custom type like the older Greco you offered me earlier this year. Are those hard to come by these days?

Roxy13

Reaction score
Yeah, I’d really prefer a solid maple flame top over a veneer. But I might take an older vintage LP with a plainer top over a new and shiny flame top.

I’d also be interested in an older LP custom type guitar like those older Greco’s.

Yeah, he PM’d me about it. I’ll have to look into it. I’d also be interested in an older LP custom type like the older Greco you offered me earlier this year. Are those hard to come by these days?
No, they shouldn't be hard to come by. I've owned several.

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
No, they shouldn't be hard to come by. I've owned several.
I am noticing that there are not that many 800 + level Greco Customs the past year or 2. There seem to be lots of 500 EGCs. My guess is that they are 90% as good as the 800s and above. Poly instead of nitro and no waffleback tuners. I didn't think the nitro on the old Grecos was that great anyways. The big gamble is weight with these. Most of them are over 4kg. I think my current '80 EGC1000 is only 3.8kg and my old '82 EGC800 was 4.1kg. But I have seen them up to 5kg!.

If the OP wants a thinner neck, I think the old Burnys were pretty good. I haven't owned one though so I am not sure if they are at customshop level. I would probably go Navigator for that...

Hydra19

Reaction score
I am noticing that there are not that many 800 + level Greco Customs the past year or 2. There seem to be lots of 500 EGCs. My guess is that they are 90% as good as the 800s and above. Poly instead of nitro and no waffleback tuners. I didn't think the nitro on the old Grecos was that great anyways. The big gamble is weight with these. Most of them are over 4kg. I think my current '80 EGC1000 is only 3.8kg and my old '82 EGC800 was 4.1kg. But I have seen them up to 5kg!.

If the OP wants a thinner neck, I think the old Burnys were pretty good. I haven't owned one though so I am not sure if they are at customshop level. I would probably go Navigator for that...
I have a '81 Greco 1000, but it's the same as a 800 without the pickups. This one is my lightest, at 4.2 and is great. The nitro doesn't check and seems a bit thicker but it doesn't bother me, even if it was poly, the guitar is too good to worry about that kind of stuff. I did have a Navigator (and still have 4) and it was very heavy, and very thick neck on the Les Paul Custom.

Roxy13

Reaction score

Well, he said like the one I sold in July that he was kind of interested in. That one was a 1990 EGC 600. So poly and rosewood, although it was just a bit over 9lb, that one. I have a 1982 violin EGC 500 that is closing in near 11lb! That one is a heifer. The other MC era ones I've had have all been reasonable weights. I remember the 3 pickup one was just a hair over 9lb.

I maybe should have kept a couple of those!

jlee

Reaction score
SOLD

‘82-84 ESP built Navigator SA120. Nitro finish, original pickups, Tonepros AVR-II, stock tailpiece and SKB hardcase.

Frets have minimal wear. May have been re-fretted? Plays amazingly well. Sings up and down the neck.

Has a slim and flat neck profile all the way up to the higher frets. Wide nut. same width as my 80s Love Rocks, going by feel.

Wide dot markers and flatter contours on the ears than Kasuga built, point to ESP manufacture.
View attachment 493750 View attachment 493751 View attachment 493752 View attachment 493754 View attachment 493756
This is back up for sale. Trade fell through and I took the last few weeks to install a RS wiring harness. Has Superpots in the volume spots and 500k CTS pots in the tone spots. RS .022uF paper in oil capacitors. I find the RS Superpots clean up much like VIPots. Quick clean up from 10 down to 7, then more even as you drop down to 2.

Will come with either amber bell knobs or black reflectors and a cream or black switch tip. Buyers choice.

The bottom f-hole sustained some finish damage. Scraped off 3/4” of finish on the top and bottom edges of the f-hole from installing the pots. Pots just barely fit through. See new pics below

SOLD

Attachments

Last edited:

currypowder

Reaction score
All of my currently listed MIJ guitars have sold except one. Thought I would create a separate listing in case someone is looking for a spectacular wine red custom. This is a ton of guitar for $1,100 shipped.

This Tokai HLC175WR is a Hibiki Super Shop Limited Model. The guitars in this limited run have a 3.8 degree neck angle (described as closer to historically accurate than a standard model), specially designed Tokai "The Fifty Nine" PAF pickups, and a very thin urethane finish.

This Japanese made Tokai exhibits all of the qualities I've come to love about Tokais, very high quality build, superb playability and tone and flawless finish and fretwork. It is simply a fantastic single-cut guitar at a more than affordable price.

The guitar itself is in very good shape with only minor playwear. This is an all mahogany Custom with no maple cap.

A Hard Shell Case is included.

The specs are:

Body: Mahogany Two Pieces (no maple cap)
Neck: Mahogany One Piece
Neck Joint: Long Neck Tenon
Finger Board: Ebony
Frets: Jescar
PU: The Fifty Nine (Made in Japan)
Finish: Ultra-thin urethane
Neck Preparation angle: 3.8 degrees
Head angle: 17 degrees
Nut: Delrin

The weight is 9.8 pounds. I would describe the neck as a comfortable medium C. The neck measurements are:

Width - 1 11/16" at the nut, 2 1/16"at the 12th fret
Depth - 7/8" at the nut, 1" at the 12th fret

More pics are available on my reverb listing - https://reverb.com/item/36077007-2016-tokai-hlc-175wr-made-in-japan

kakerlak

Reaction score
All of my currently listed MIJ guitars have sold except one. Thought I would create a separate listing in case someone is looking for a spectacular wine red custom. This is a ton of guitar for $1,100 shipped.

This Tokai HLC175WR is a Hibiki Super Shop Limited Model. The guitars in this limited run have a 3.8 degree neck angle (described as closer to historically accurate than a standard model), specially designed Tokai "The Fifty Nine" PAF pickups, and a very thin urethane finish.

This Japanese made Tokai exhibits all of the qualities I've come to love about Tokais, very high quality build, superb playability and tone and flawless finish and fretwork. It is simply a fantastic single-cut guitar at a more than affordable price.

The guitar itself is in very good shape with only minor playwear. This is an all mahogany Custom with no maple cap.

A Hard Shell Case is included.

The specs are:

Body: Mahogany Two Pieces (no maple cap)
Neck: Mahogany One Piece
Neck Joint: Long Neck Tenon
Finger Board: Ebony
Frets: Jescar
PU: The Fifty Nine (Made in Japan)
Finish: Ultra-thin urethane
Neck Preparation angle: 3.8 degrees
Head angle: 17 degrees
Nut: Delrin

The weight is 9.8 pounds. I would describe the neck as a comfortable medium C. The neck measurements are:

Width - 1 11/16" at the nut, 2 1/16"at the 12th fret
Depth - 7/8" at the nut, 1" at the 12th fret

More pics are available on my reverb listing - https://reverb.com/item/36077007-2016-tokai-hlc-175wr-made-in-japan

There's nothing classier than a 'hog-top Custom with a transparent finish.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
Tokais Wine Red is an exceptional vintage. Doesnt matter the year. They really nail the perfect Wine Red colour. My opinion of course. Im surprised thats the one left out of the lot to be honest. Good luck.

Homeras

Reaction score
For sale Navigator N-ST-380 ALM 2011 Blackie

https://flic.kr/p/2k3YcrU
Modifications: Callaham bridge, Schaller Elite tuners, pickups handmade by Mojo (UK).
Very comfortable V neck.
The guitar has toured a lot and there are some dents on the body and neck.
Thin nitro lacquer. Frets are good!
Weight around 3,5 kg/7.7 lbs.
The case and springs cover plate are included.

Asking 1400 €.
Trades? Fractal Axe II XL+

Bump to 1200€!

Latest Threads