The Other Single-Cuts Classifieds (read the rules before posting)

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
in 1980 a bottle of ketchup was $99.

today it's $2.79.

the refrigerator however cost almost the same amount. in fact, i bought a new fridge this year and it cost 30% less than a similar model did in 1980.

so, good luck with the sales guys. history means fahk all when it comes to what your guitar is worth.

$99 bottle of Ketchup ??? DAMN !!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkZ62XvJHVQ[/ame]

Olds442

Reaction score
i should have posted my priced in yen. :facepalm:

matty - i only had one korina V, the other was a hog! :D

BGD

Reaction score
I write about financial-related things as part of my freelance work. Some of what I am seeing here is wrong, misleading, or very incomplete. Here's something that is, hopefully, a little more helpful:

MauiCliff cites December 31, 1981, which I personally find to be a rather odd day to pick if you're looking to compare the USD to JPY. For one thing, it's the last possible day of the year. For another, it's during the US holiday season, which does affect the market. If you pick a different day in 1981, you get a wildly different answer. 180000 was equal to $786 on a random day I picked in July, the middle of the year. The same in September, the same in October. In May and March it was in the lower 800s. So if someone were to ask me: "In general, what was 180000 JPY worth in USD in 1981," I'd answer, "In general, about 800 bucks."

http://fxtop.com/en/currency-converter-past.php?A=180000&C1=JPY&C2=USD&DD=07&MM=07&YYYY=1981&B=1&P=&I=1&btnOK=Go!

Using US government statistics, the "buying power" of 800 US bucks in '81 was equivalent to 2,121 USD today. http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

This in and of itself tells us very little. So let's keep going.

Rather using ketchup or refrigerators as examples, let's use a guitar. Some very quick Googling suggests that in 1981, a Les Paul Custom could be had for 650 American bucks, retail. Adjusted into today's buying power, that's $1723.
Today, a Gibson Les Paul Custom, in the non-exotic finishes and appointments, can be had for 4,800 retail. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=Gibson+Les+Paul+Custom&Go=Search

However, today you can buy a 1981 Les Paul Custom for anywhere between 2200 and 3200. Let's spitball an average of 2750.

So:
A) The equivalent of 180000 Yen in 1981 was not in the high 800s. It was about 800.

B) When you compare the appreciation of a guitar in US Dollars to the rate of inflation, a guitar (or, at least, a Les Paul Custom) for this timeframe, it appreciates at 423%, versus inflation's 265% for this timeframe. (My note: this point was edited with correct data and computations.)

C) Gibson Les Paul Customs' have very little correlation with inflation. In other words, they are not a good indicator of inflation. A $650 Les Paul Custom, adjusted for inflation, costs $1723 in today's dollars. Today, a Gibson Les Paul Custom costs nearly $5K. Inflation is not that bad by a long-shot. So it would be totally wrong to say "Inflation is so bad that back in '81, you could buy an LPC for $650. Now it's $4800!"

D) With regards to Les Paul Customs, you could say that a $650 investment in one of them in 1981 grows to $2750 in 2016. But you could also say that $650 in 1981 had the buying power of $1,723 in today's USD. So: an '81 LPC has appreciated 61% (which is pretty crazy, given, you know, major indices).

E) In 1981, an EGF1800 could be had for roughly $800 USD. That's $2,121 adjusted for inflation. Now, if you believe that this makes sense, and if you believe that a Greco EGF1800 has the same appreciation of a Gibson Les Paul Custom, then it should have appreciated 61%. Roughly speaking: $3,414 USD.

That's a big (second) if there in E (which is why I put it in bold). Have Greco EGF1800s appreciated similarly to Gibson Les Paul Customs? If so, then JKBird59 is offering a killer deal. Then, again, if you think that the guitar is worth now what it was worth then, the guitar should be roughly 2100.

Me, I have no dog in this fight whatsoever. I don't think JKBird is being unfair even if I think 3100 is a crazy price for a Greco. (And, really, I don't even think that: I have no opinion, because I don't really like Grecos based on the two I've owned, and I don't know enough about them.) I think these guitars are too rare, and the market is too nichey to ever say "they appreciate at X%." At this point, I'm sick of Googling stuff, but I wonder what a 1985 Burny RLC-60 cost in 1985. You can still get those for well under a grand.

(Note: edited throughout for further clarification, and one correction.)

jkbird59

Reaction score
My head hurts.The only class i failed in college was Economics 1.

PRICE DROP TO $3000.00. FREE SHIPPING CONUS

Downsizing my life,40 years plus collecting stuff , time to get small.

thrashmetl

Reaction score
Bacchus BSG-STD SG Standard Classic Series - $650 local LA/OC pickup

Stock pickups, solid '59 neck like you won't find on any small guard SG Gibson has ever made. Great guitar, finally came to the realization I don't really get SG's. A few minor dents and dings, but nothing very noticeable.

Here's some video with different pickups:
https://youtu.be/geTVXCeHMwQ

Still here!

Whoopysnorp

Reaction score
Love that SG. It's lucky for me you're not local, or I'd be grappling with the reality of a new guitar purchase.

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
I write about financial-related things as part of my freelance work. Some of what I am seeing here is wrong, misleading, or very incomplete. Here's something that is, hopefully, a little more helpful:

E) In 1981, an EGF1800 could be had for roughly $800 USD. That's $2,121 adjusted for inflation. Now, if you believe that this makes sense, and if you believe that a Greco EGF1800 has the same appreciation of a Gibson Les Paul Custom, then it should have appreciated 61%. Roughly speaking: $3,414 USD.

That's a big (second) if there in E (which is why I put it in bold). Have Greco EGF1800s appreciated similarly to Gibson Les Paul Customs? If so, then JKBird59 is offering a killer deal. Then, again, if you think that the guitar is worth now what it was worth then, the guitar should be roughly 2100.

Me, I have no dog in this fight whatsoever. I don't think JKBird is being unfair even if I think 3100 is a crazy price for a Greco. (And, really, I don't even think that: I have no opinion, because I don't really like Grecos based on the two I've owned, and I don't know enough about them.) I think these guitars are too rare, and the market is too nichey to ever say "they appreciate at X%." At this point, I'm sick of Googling stuff, but I wonder what a 1985 Burny RLC-60 cost in 1985. You can still get those for well under a grand.

(Note: edited throughout for further clarification, and one correction.)
Nice to see such a thoughtful comment. It is often frustrating to see people trying to make arguments based on misunderstandings of numbers, or numbers taken out of important context (not pointing fingers, just speaking generally).

BGD

Reaction score
Nice to see such a thoughtful comment. It is often frustrating to see people trying to make arguments based on misunderstandings of numbers, or numbers taken out of important context (not pointing fingers, just speaking generally).
Thank you very much!

In our "Other Single Cuts" corner of the universe, things are quirky and nichey. I don't expect to tease out a formula to say "ta-da! here's exactly what 'other single cuts' are worth!" But when people talk about "the value of a dollar" in a certain time frame, and the strength of the USD versus JPY during one versus another, these are ACTUAL METRICS. These are things we can look at in aggregate to come up with. (Yet many people just make often false or misleading or woefully incomplete generalizations.)

It wasn't until I did all that yesterday that I realized how truly expensive a brand new Gibson Les Paul Custom is. They've really upped the price point on those things!

That gives me an idea for another metric: chart all available NEW retail prices for MIJs, and then do a run-rate on it to determine, ok, if they were STILL making these models, how much would they cost today? Overlay that against Gibson's per-year retail price list. THAT would be quite interesting to see!

Jenzzz

Reaction score
I'm sick of Googling stuff, but I wonder what a 1985 Burny RLC-60 cost in 1985. You can still get those for well under a grand.
That's easy. Japanese guitars have their sales-price in their names.
RLC-60 = ¥60,000
EGF1800 = ¥180,000

etc.

:)

Dalko

Reaction score
3 pieces back ... It's the first EGF1800 i can see with 3 pieces back.

Thanks for your response.

Taylord

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking for a Greco 335 copy. Please shoot me a message!

free713

Reaction score
For sale Bacchus BLS 120 br-oil ca. 1997 made in Japan.

I believe the ones in oil finish were 120 although this one has a two piece center seamed back? I'm guessing from around 1997. Just a great sounding and playing LP - very resonant! An earlier model with correct TRC, MoP inlays in fretboard and really nice sounding pups - better than the ones installed in the Classic Series. The oil finish looks great - a bit difficult to show in pics. And it feels great as well. 2 piece top and back. One piece neck. Amazing condition apart from some minor headstock "clouding", which apparently is very common for this model. Frets showing almost no sign of wear. Medium to slim neck. Only weighs 3,8 kg!

Only selling it because I'm a sucker for huge necks and this one is on the medium/slim side.

850 euro + shipping

(more pics: http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/frederikbr/library/1997%20Bacchus%20BLS-120%20BR-OIL?sort=3&page=1 )http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/fr...?sort=3&page=1

free713

Reaction score
Selling a pair of "ktr-original" pickups taken out of a Crews Maniac Sound LS-01. Great sounding pickups. Sounded better in my Bacchus Classic than the stock pickups.

125 euro incl shipping

solderjunkie

Reaction score
Selling this 1981 Tokai LS100 solid flame top. Got it several years ago from Mark at Japan Guitars who sells primarily top shelf MIJ. A smidge over 10 lbs.. Beautiful top and a solid player with low action and nary a buzz or fret out anywhere on the neck, which measures a fat-ish 59 profile. Very toneful with sustain for days. Loaded with great sounding Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF's. Upgraded electrics with high-end MIJ pots and luxe bumblebee caps. Upgraded aluminum tailpiece. All original parts and original Tokai HSC included.

Hoping to keep this in the Other Single Cuts tribe, but if it doesn't move here, then I'll list it in the other obvious places. More pics available upon request.

Asking $2,300+ship, OBO

Latest Threads