the official Les Paul Traditional love thread

Blues_Verne

Reaction score
Well, so here is mine, born 2015. I am a big fan of these golden Cases she arrived in, I dig the Tronicals, 'cause they do work fine for me old chap with weak old ears... BUT I did not like the overall shiny appearance of the guitar, so I started with a satin job and some more mods.
LP-Trad_hcsb'15_AWE1b.jpg
LP-Trad_hcsb'15_AWE1bc.jpg
LP-Trad_hcsb'15_M8.jpg
LP-Trad'59-HBs1b.jpg

so I removed these oddities and installed my own take of a set that makes alot more sense to me, including splitting and phase reverse.

Last edited:

GT1

Reaction score
Well, so here is mine, born 2015. I am a big fan of these golden Cases she arrived in, I dig the Tronicals, 'cause they do work fine for me old chap with weak old ears... BUT I did not like the overall shiny appearance of the guitar, so I started with a satin job and some more mods. View attachment 391337 View attachment 391338 View attachment 391339 View attachment 391340

so I removed these oddities and installed my own take of a set that makes alot more sense to me, including splitting and phase reverse.
A lot of members here would be interested in buying those 59 pickups if you want to sell them.
Congrats on the Trade!

Blues_Verne

Reaction score
A lot of members here would be interested in buying those 59 pickups if you want to sell them.
Congrats on the Trade!
Yes, I'm fully aware of that. :thumbs:
But one of my, wait a minute, 21 Lesters
LP-BlueTiger_5.jpg
is waiting for a suitable new neck pup. So with a bit more time at hand, I'll open the 59ers, change those shitty braids for 4-conductor solid cores and put the pups to better use. Sacrilege you scream? Phu.:beer:

Angus Blackmore

Reaction score
Blues!!!

I may be one of the few forumites that totally agree that the Tribute 59s didn’t deliver, at least in my case, pretty much for the same reasons you described. I went through various pup configs (including a Pearly Gates set and a SD Full Shred neck / SD Custom bridge) before settling on an Iron Gear Blues Engine neck and an Axesrus Purist humbucker (little known Brit outfit, made to order in the UK).

Apart from the above pup swaps I had to do a bit of work on my Trad ‘14 (9.9 pounds) before she could beat my MIJ Les Pauls: did the superglue mod on the nib ends as strings were getting caught, glued back in a couple of inlays that we’re falling off, installed a GraphTech Tusq nut and lightly sanded down neck finish a couple of times to get rid the yucky sticky neck syndrome. It now sounds and plays incredible.

I recently bought a 2009 Standard (8.1 pounds) with a view to sell my heavy and fat necked Trad... I installed exactly the same pickup set in it and I was shocked to hear that the Trad beats the Standard in tone.... but not by much.

The Standard has less attack (particularly on the bass strings) and more mids than the Trad... the Trad has more sparkle and a breathy, ringing quality (as I said, the Standard ain’t far off the mark). The trade off is the weight and comfier neck of the Standard (personal preference of course)... now I don’t know what to do as I have to sell one of them (I already have 2 more Gibsons and 2 MIJ Lea Pauls.... I need to shift something!!).

Here’s my ‘14 Trad:

Angus Blackmore

Reaction score
Great looking guitar. Finding more ways to get the most out of it. Step one is getting it to stay in tune better.

View attachment 388588
I had that problem on my 2014 Trad. In the end I myself took out the poorly cut stock nut and replaced it with a Grapteq Tusq pre slotted nut and problem solved. I recommend you look into it.

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
Let me add my new Traditional to the mix. It's a 2013 that has been pretty heavily upgraded with Creamtone Absolute Vintage parts and Pearly Gates pickups.

Plays and sounds incredible! Lowest action I've ever had on any guitar.
IMG_1214.jpg
IMG_1218.jpg
IMG_1223.jpg
IMG_1224.jpg

RocketKing

Reaction score

Classicplayer

Reaction score
Gotta love Trads! I own two: A '16 Honeyburst and a '15 Honeyburst. Love them both, but my '16 is one of my all time favorites. Fantastic Les Pauls! First pic is '15 Trad and second is '16 Trad.

View attachment 451877 View attachment 451878
Those are two beauties!! I have an '18 Honeyburst with the Burstbucker 1 and 2 pair.
What pickups are on your two?

Classicplayer

jbash

Reaction score
I'm sure I've posted in here previous but I just pulled mine out of mothballs the other day. It's been sitting around as a shell for quite some time- really needs a refret.

Threw some new Grover Milk bottles on it.

Found some old worn plastics and knobs (Yeah I know, I need a complete new set of 4 matching- I actually like those nasty looking notched speed knobs from a utility standpoint, but I only had three).

That's a new Stew Mac ABR and some faber Nashville conversion studs/posts (hated the semi permanent ones-iNserts ?- sustain increased but sounded like absolute garbage on both my les pauls)

Gibson Alum TP, Gibson stock brass studs, and some faber tone lock TP spacers

This guitar has the absolute best neck ever for me- one of those big chunky R8 style necks they were doing in '13/'14, but unfortunately the very low first year cryogenic frets (don't believe the hype, they do wear out slightly slower, but they wear out/groove easily enough. C shape louisville slugger.

Plenty of dings/nicks and scars (the back is worse LOL) It's been through alot.

20200403_142109-redo.jpg
20200403_132434-redo.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Threads