The Official Historics & Reissues Modification Thread

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
You know, I've had those Retrospec inlays in my "shopping cart" on their site before. That's how close I've actually come to pulling the trigger, guys.

HUGE difference on your R8, Nico! Looks like you had to do some routing work to get the corners to fit too. Did you have to make a template for a Dremel or did you freehand it? What is the historically correct glue to use when installing these?

Honestly, inlays and vintage Klusons are probably the last things I will do to this R9 unless it finds it's way to a re-finish one day. I love the color and burst, but I like natural checking too. ...and of course I'll continue to swap the pickups constantly in search of something I'll never find. Ha! At least I know that up front. :D

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
You know, I've had those Retrospec inlays in my "shopping cart" on their site before. That's how close I've actually come to pulling the trigger, guys.

HUGE difference on your R8, Nico! Looks like you had to do some routing work to get the corners to fit too. Did you have to make a template for a Dremel or did you freehand it? What is the historically correct glue to use when installing these?

Honestly, inlays and vintage Klusons are probably the last things I will do to this R9 unless it finds it's way to a re-finish one day. I love the color and burst, but I like natural checking too. ...and of course I'll continue to swap the pickups constantly in search of something I'll never find. Ha! At least I know that up front. :D

The corners i have to make them sharp, but all of that is the easy part, getting them to radius with the fretboard was the most time consuming and hard part because you need to use a razor sharp blade and for the lower frets you need to cut it to special lengths and be extremely patience and careful.

Look at my two threads about changing them.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/122291-1st-time-change-inlays-step-step-finished.html
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/132197-2nd-inlay-change-painless-little-twist.html

Mr.Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Guitar - 2001 Custom Authentic 1958

Tuners/Tips - DMC

TRC - Retrospec

Nut - Standard

Inlays - Retrospec

Fretboard - Deep dark rosewood

Switch Ring (aka.. Poker Chip) - FatBoy

Switch Tip - FatBoy

Switch Nut - Retrospec

Switch selector - Gibson

Pickup Rings - FatBoy

Pickups (and Covers) - DMC V.II

Pickguard - FatBoy

Pickguard Bracket - Original 50´s

Bridge (posts, and thumbwheels) - Early 60´s original bridge, Retrospec thumbwheels

Tailpiece - Gibson

Tailpiece Studs - Retrospec Off set

Knobs - Retrospec

Pointers (knob) - Original 50´s

Jackplate - FatBoy

Pots - CTS 550K+/-

Caps - Original Bumble Bees

Backplates - Gibson

Refinished - Custom age work personally done

Strap Bottons - Original 50´s

Pickups - WIZZ

Other Mods - Red cherry under corresponding plastics

Future Mods - Change to more accurate Rings, Hysteric tailpiece, Throbak covers and probably a Historic Makeover.

Why a historic makeover? There is nothing left for them to do! :D

It's really an outstanding job.
But maybe you should have stopped aging at some point.
Sometimes less is more.
Why did you age / took of the lacquer from the top at the horn?
I've never seen a real guitar with a natural worn off top at this area.

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
It's really an outstanding job.
But maybe you should have stopped aging at some point.
Sometimes less is more.
Why did you age / took of the lacquer from the top at the horn?
I've never seen a real guitar with a natural worn off top at this area.
Thanks.

I did stopped at one point, but it just didn't felt right to me so i went further with it and at this point i alway get a feeling of joy when i grab her.

I have about 3 photos of vintage goldtops that have similar worn patters in the horn, just no to that extent, i did it because many times i grab the guitar by the horn and with time this would eventually lead to the lacquer and paint waring off, besides makes it look that that more unique.:naughty:

riffsmachine

Reaction score
Thanks.

I did stopped at one point, but it just didn't felt right to me so i went further with it and at this point i alway get a feeling of joy when i grab her.

I have about 3 photos of vintage goldtops that have similar worn patters in the horn, just no to that extent, i did it because many times i grab the guitar by the horn and with time this would eventually lead to the lacquer and paint waring off, besides makes it look that that more unique.:naughty:

The cow licking her calf too much in the end ate it:laugh2:

KEEPER

Reaction score
New to this so... Here goes. I have a 1997 slash snakepit lp in mint unplayed condition, signed and held by the man himself (velvet revolver gig 2k5), with pictures to prove. Can anyone give me an estimate of the value of this now rare guitar..?

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, actually had some sun today and got some new photos taken showing all of the updates!

Guitar - 2010 R9 Iced Tea VOS
Tuners/Tips - Factory Historic tuners / Vintage Haven tips
TRC - Retrospec
Nut - Factory nylon, recut by me
Inlays - Factory Historic
Fretboard - Factory Historic
Switch Ring (aka.. Poker Chip) - Retrospec (I believe this is a Montreux part as I also have another in the package and can't tell any difference)
Switch Tip - :dunno: I've had too many go through my hands to keep track. It came from my parts drawers. Could be anything from Allparts to vintage.
Switch Nut - Fake58, slightly distressed by me.
Pickup Rings - OTP Bone NOS (I need to dirty these up a bit through hard love)
Pickups (and Covers) - Throbak SLE-101 Plus MXV, short A5 mags, Throbak covers
Pickguard - Mojoaxe - This isn't the regular color. Dan actually contacted me after seeing my photos and sent me one to better match the OTP Bone rings. What a great guy! This is a slightly lighter version of the same material he normally uses. It'll age naturally alongside the rings.
Pickguard Bracket - Factory Historic (do I need a new one, guys? which one?)
Bridge (posts, and thumbwheels) - Pigtail bridge, Retrospec thumbwheels, factory posts which will likely be replaced soon with 6-32 SS for a little more brightness and stability.
Tailpiece - Pigtail
Tailpiece Studs - Pigtail vintage length
Knobs - Fatboy
Pointers (knob) - Retrospec
Jackplate - Montreux
Pots - TVT, aged by me
Caps - 50's Sprague Bumblebees (hand picked at exactly .022 each, leads restored by me)
Backplates - Factory Historic
Refinished - VOS gunk thoroughly removed and polished with Virtuoso for a gloss finish
Other Mods - Pickup ring mounting screws and height adjustment screws from Steve at Vintage Haven. TRC screws from Kim at Retrospec. Strings are Pyramid Pure Nickel Classics

Future Mods - Mapleflame bridge posts, vintage Kluson tuners, natural aging "long term project" lol, maybe a new PG bracket. Some have said I need new inlays. What do you think?

I Made The Mods To My Guitar Because - I wanted to bring the sound (bridge/tail hardware and electronics) and looks (everything else) as close to a burst as possible.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Inlays, yes. I'm starting to come around to the idea. I suppose they will match the new Vintage Haven tips better too.

I'm also thinking I need to address the PU cut of that PG to make it more vintage-ilke. I could file it or get another one from Dan. Just gotta make up my mind. I might age the OTPG rings some more, in which case I might want a darker guard so I gotta do the rings first. ...once I have the rings off, I might as well try some new PUs too. Maybe some aged double creams? Oh man! Here we go again. :naughty:

Lefty Elmo

Reaction score
Final mod to humbuckers:

Update: Just installed an original PAF cover on the neck position pickup, (an early Pat. Sticker) and installed a cover from Jon at Throbak on the bridge Antiquity. Located another early Pat. Sticker pickup to replace the Antiquity in the bridge, 8.01K, with original cover. I haven't decided whether I'm going to pull the trigger yet.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Glad to see this thread make sticky! Well deserved.

Barker

Reaction score
Update: Just installed an original PAF cover on the neck position pickup, (an early Pat. Sticker) and installed a cover from Jon at Throbak on the bridge Antiquity. Located another early Pat. Sticker pickup to replace the Antiquity in the bridge, 8.01K, with original cover. I haven't decided whether I'm going to pull the trigger yet.
Killer Elmo!

Barker

Reaction score
Glad to see this thread make sticky! Well deserved.
Yeah, it is cool that it's a sticky. It's easy to find now, and a great reference for guys who want to mod their Historics, or just look at great guitars!

Hopefully over time we will get more and more guitars.... :fingersx:.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score

Let's see what I can remember....

Pat Pending Grovers

DMC switch ring

MartinSixString Customs switch tip

DMC aged pickup covers (mk II)

MartinSixString Customs vol/tone knobs

RS pickup surrounds

Wireless Faber bridge with 1959 thumbwheels

Steel Studs (can't remember where I got them)

RS pots, with John Fast caps from MartinSixString Customs

WCR Darkburst pickups

Steel jackplate

Scaller straplocks

Barker

Reaction score
Thanks Led Zep Fan... :thumb:! What year is your beautiful R8? I can't remember...

Lefty Elmo

Reaction score
Final mod to humbuckers:

Stay tuned...:naughty:

Latest Threads