The Norlin Threat

1981 LPC

Reaction score
Dwagar, that was a great post... until you ended it with the '59 envy comment. How did you arrive at that conclusion?

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
A threat to sales of 50's Les Pauls? Well, no. Supply and demand. The lower price of Norlins will mean more demand, and luckily there are a shitload of them out there. 50s LPs, not that many, high demand, higher prices.

I suspect there is more anti-Norlin, or should I say reverse anti-Norlin feelings amoung some, or many, of the owners than there really is out there. When's the last time you were playing your Norlin LP at a gig or a jam and some guy came up to you and said "eww, is that a Norlin"? I didn't think so.

So you read something on the internet that pissed you off, now you're feeling defensive and trying to justify your guitar.

For fuck sake.

Somewhere on this thread I read that someone is pissed that Norlins are stuck in their own section and aren't in the Vintage area. Well, of course they aren't. The Vintage area is for a specific era of our guitars.

But, when MLP first started, Norlins were jammed in the Gibson Les Pauls section. And many of us argued and fought and protested to get our OWN Norlin section. Give us some RESPECT. Here's the sig pic I ran for maybe 6 months:

full

I've only owned 2 Norlins. First was a '69 Deluxe in 1970. Truth is, I didn't like that guitar, it didn't last long. I came from a '55 Special with P90s. If I'd know I could change those mini hums to P90s I might still own it.

Second was my '74 Custom, which I owned when we were protesting at MLP.

full

That was a great guitar. I still swear the sticker TTop in the neck position was the best sounding pickup I've ever heard. But it had to get sold to finance my '57 Special.

MLP has given the Norlin era an area to respect and discuss this great era of guitars. Quit being pissed that you don't have a '59 Burst and be proud of what you do own.

I might have missed something..... but uhh.... who’s pissed?

My initial point of starting this thread is that I find a lot of dealers who specialize in Golden Era LPs might be threatened by the up tick in Norlin interest.

Most Vintage LP dealers have discredited Norlins as crap for so long it could be Interesting to see how they adjust to the market.

As the supply of Vintage golden era LPs are so limited and Norlins so plentiful it would seem retarded not to embrace this source of business....

The point is of my original question..... will dealers embrace or dismiss the Norlin Gibson?

I have no hate or envy of the Vintage LP.

I love them all.

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Dwagar, that was a great post... until you ended it with the '59 envy comment. How did you arrive at that conclusion?

Thanks, you're right, that didn't come out as I meant. What I meant was when people think these guitars should be in the Vintage Section, no they shouldn't. We have our own section. In retrospect, I think calling that section 'Vintage' causes too many questions, it could somehow be better titled. As in: '68-69 are in the Vintage section, but '70 isn't? I realize why we section them off, but most people define vintage with how old something is. The term will always create confusion. And people usually associate 'vintage' with 'higher value', which isn't necessarily the case.

I will go back and edit that.

Last edited:

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Most Vintage LP dealers have discredited Norlins as crap for so long it could be Interesting to see how they adjust to the market.

As the supply of Vintage golden era LPs are so limited and Norlins so plentiful it would seem retarded not to embrace this source of business....

The point is of my original question..... will dealers embrace or dismiss the Norlin Gibson?

I have to admit I don't personally know any real Vintage dealers. Are there really many that refuse to sell Norlin era guitars? I would assume they would sell anything they can make a profit on.

mudface

Boo Bee
Reaction score
I have to admit I don't personally know any real Vintage dealers. Are there really many that refuse to sell Norlin era guitars? I would assume they would sell anything they can make a profit on.

I don't think they refused to sell Norlins....I knew a handful of Vintage gear dealers in California back in the day and they would dismiss "Norlins and their feeble attempt to recreate the late '50s LPs" in the early '80s....These are the words of such dealers, not mine. I bought one,...a 1982 Leo's Music LP re-issue which i thought was a fantastic guitar.

There are some dealers that do embrace the Norlin era and have quite a few to sell.....Though i have known only a couple that just market high end Golden Era Gibsons and Fenders and have no interests in Norlin Gibsons except only a very few limited models like Sparkle Deluxes or Guitar Trader re-issue and the like.....

Though my question is just for pure speculation and conversation....as i have no clue as to the endurance of this Norlin interest we have today....it could just peter out.

As i mentioned earlier i don't believe that there is a threat to these high end dealers that don't appreciate Norlins,..but i do believe that they are missing out.

ICR

Reaction score
I think that a lot of the late 70s music I grew up with WAS recorded with Norlin instruments. I was too young for the Clapton/Bloomfield era stuff.
Fleetwood Mac was a band with hot chicks...I didn't know anything about sunburst LP at the time.
Pete Norlin LPD.jpg

big_tumblr_b44c3ff8fdd0e47a3d4aaa72dab278ad_0b8b71fc_1280.jpg

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
I think that a lot of the late 70s music I grew up with WAS recorded with Norlin instruments. I was too young for the Clapton/Bloomfield era stuff.
Fleetwood Mac was a band with hot chicks...I didn't know anything about sunburst LP at the time.
View attachment 555191
View attachment 555193
The real Fleetwood Mac did not exist by the time they had hot chicks.

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
I got here well after the Norlin section established, it helps to know the history. I always thought we were the red headed step-child of MLP :rofl:

1981 LPC

Reaction score
We still are to most people, especially those who equate quality and desireability to vintage by 'Burst' standards.

msalama

Reaction score
Don't buy them ever! EVEEEEERRRR!

Right! And if you happen to have any of that old junk laying around because you erred and already bought some, just send that garbage to me and I'll incinerate it for you free of charge. Although my '73 Dlx might get jealous if I actually receive an... OH WAIT

Prometheus

Reaction score
Right! And if you happen to have any of that old junk laying around because you erred and already bought some, just send that garbage to me and I'll incinerate it for you free of charge. Although my '73 Dlx might get jealous if I actually receive an... OH WAIT

Bruh, everyone knows I'm the one who dispose their ugly and bad norlin guitars for free!

mudface

Boo Bee
Reaction score
Bruh, everyone knows I'm the one who dispose their ugly and bad norlin guitars for free!

Real ugly ones like this require extra safety gear like a welding hood so I don’t lose my eyesight..... that’s extra cash for hazmat conditions..... I would charge a $1000 bucks for this sparkly bastard..... but you can sleep at night knowing it won’t hurt anyone ever again.

AFBF7E06-D92B-4D87-B793-C1240595B43B.png

:rofl::rofl:

Prometheus

Reaction score
Real ugly ones like this require extra safety gear like a welding hood so I don’t lose my eyesight..... that’s extra cash for hazmat conditions..... I would charge a $1000 bucks for this sparkly bastard..... but you can sleep at night knowing it won’t hurt anyone ever again.

View attachment 559007

:rofl::rofl:
Argh my eyes! So ugly! It's a sin against humanity!
More reason to never buy norlin!

msalama

Reaction score
Guys, let's stop arguing. Wwe need to combine our forces. There are plenty of these abominations out there for everyone, so just give me the clownbursts and the metal flakies and you can divvy up the rest.

Deal?

Prometheus

Reaction score
Guys, let's stop arguing. Wwe need to combine our forces. There are plenty of these abominations out there for everyone, so just give me the clownbursts and the metal flakies and you can divvy up the rest.

Deal?

No deal, me n @mudface will dispose them all for the better of humankind!

Latest Threads