The Norlin Threat

msalama

Reaction score
But judging by the above definition of vintage I nicked from Google, Norlin Gibbys and CBS Fenders will never fulfill the criteria. Increasingly rare though? Definitely. And the prices will mirror that, regardless of us perhaps disliking the phenomenon as much as we possibly can.

msalama

Reaction score
Well I'll up the ante and offer $500-$600 a pop. /defonosarcatall

Davey Rock

Reaction score
I don’t care about “vintage.” A 78 Gibson the Paul was the finest playing Paul I ever put my hands on. And yes I mean that. I’m not just a Norlin fan, I’m a Norlin appreciator.

msalama

Reaction score
A 78 Gibson the Paul
But who's saying said guitar cannot be 1) a fine specimen 2) a rare one 3) even a collectable? None of which will ever make it vintage however.

Last edited:

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just grind my teeth every time I see Norlins marketed at 4 or 5 grand..... cause there was I time I ignored them when I thought $500 to $600 was too damn much...... I should have bought them all.... and could’ve too. I passed on many nice Deluxes because I wasn’t into mini-hums... I had a couple back in the day.... and moved them for other things.

Now I’m scared to touch one..... I might have to pay a stupid price to keep it.

I might have to if they don’t reissue a proper Sparkle Deluxe.

mudface

Boo Bee
Reaction score
Some folks might consider a 1917 Ford model-T a vintage car.... what a piece of shit that is... in its all original state it’s unfit to be driven... even when it was new.

It’s just an old car......

Golden era Les Pauls are ‘53ish to 1960.... the ‘52 gold top fits the model-T category..... it’s old and nearly unplayable.... would you call it vintage?

Some would because it still has all the ingredients that made the Les Paul special. I would not.

1970’s Norlins May not fit the “vintage” criteria.... but they do have a “flavor” or appeal that a certain variety of players are attracted to. I’m one of them... but I’m attracted to all varieties of solid bodies anyways...

Vintage or whatever.... Norlins are not going away..... I’m afraid that the pricing of them will only escalate as they become a more practical option than a golden era LP.

msalama

Reaction score
I just grind my teeth
But that's just sour grapes innit Mud? Because there's no turning back time - and collectables will pop into existence even if they'll never be vintage persay.

mudface

Boo Bee
Reaction score
But that's just sour grapes innit Mud? Because there's no turning back time - and collectables will pop into existence even if they'll never be vintage persay.
Yes... it just reminds me I’m getting old.

Losing Dusty Hill and EVH.... has even added to that point.

I just count my blessings for my Norlin Customs....

msalama

Reaction score
Losing Dusty Hill and EVH.... has even added to that point.
Hear ya. It has added to ALL fucking points in creation. Losing the best to time is just... merciless. But what can we do?

There's still the albums though, namely the first three from both ZZers and VH. The best within their respective genres for all time and thus unbeatable...

1981 LPC

Reaction score
Honestly, I'd love to have one. They're dropping in price as their fanbase is decreasing.

Wise Guy

Reaction score
I don’t know if I disagree or agree with you on it, but I’m curious how you came to the conclusion that anything after 1969 isn’t vintage and just “old.” I have never heard that rule before, so I’m just wondering what it is about 1970-1979 that make them “not vintage”? Personally, I think at least early 70s guitars qualify… a 1971 Les Paul is 50 years old, which seems pretty vintage to me. But I appreciate and agree with your overall point, I just read that and found it interesting.
I'm under the impression that anything 25-50 years old is vintage and 50+ years old is antique. I occasionally watch Antique Roads show.......LOL!

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Norlins have definitely become much more appreciated than they where just a few years ago.
But I don't think they will reproduce themselves in quite the significant numbers that the late 50 models have :laugh2:

I don't know, but maybe there where a few more duds among them, but the players I knew back in the day, did not complain about their Norlins. And I kind of envied them for their great Gibson guitars.

If we had Internet with guitar forums back then, they would probably have envied my Japanese copy :D
Or maybe not. At least the Norlins from the 80s have always had a following here in Scandinavia.

mudface

Boo Bee
Reaction score
The top one. Don't really care for T-buckets.
A “bucket” as you call it is the rag top T,... those are enclosed cab T.... a bit more rare in “rod” form.

T-bucket Rod

1F1AA463-4D53-49F5-9A52-F3697A9FA7B7.jpeg

Last edited:

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
A threat to sales of 50's Les Pauls? Well, no. Supply and demand. The lower price of Norlins will mean more demand, and luckily there are a shitload of them out there. 50s LPs, not that many, high demand, higher prices.

I suspect there is more anti-Norlin, or should I say reverse anti-Norlin feelings amoung some, or many, of the owners than there really is out there. When's the last time you were playing your Norlin LP at a gig or a jam and some guy came up to you and said "eww, is that a Norlin"? I didn't think so.

So you read something on the internet that pissed you off, now you're feeling defensive and trying to justify your guitar.

For fuck sake.

Somewhere on this thread I read that someone is pissed that Norlins are stuck in their own section and aren't in the Vintage area. Well, of course they aren't. The Vintage area is for a specific era of our guitars.

But, when MLP first started, Norlins were jammed in the Gibson Les Pauls section. And many of us argued and fought and protested to get our OWN Norlin section. Give us some RESPECT. Here's the sig pic I ran for maybe 6 months:

I've only owned 2 Norlins. First was a '69 Deluxe in 1970. Truth is, I didn't like that guitar, it didn't last long. I came from a '55 Special with P90s. If I'd know I could change those mini hums to P90s I might still own it.

Second was my '74 Custom, which I owned when we were protesting at MLP.

That was a great guitar. I still swear the sticker TTop in the neck position was the best sounding pickup I've ever heard. But it had to get sold to finance my '57 Special.

MLP has given the Norlin era an area to respect and discuss this great era of guitars.

Last edited:

Latest Threads