The Norlin Threat

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sammy Hagar though? Who's he? A distant cousin of Barely Manenough's perhaps? Cooopa-cocabananaaaaahhh...
Dave used to sing and talk about getting tail.
Sammy actually got it and wrote about what it was like.

msalama

Reaction score
As if :D

Nah but seriously, tastes differ and that's all well and proper of course.

pmonk

Reaction score
The only threat is people who used to see Norlins going for $1500-$2500 are now seeing the same guitars going for $3500-$5000.

Can buy a 1974 standard for $8,600 today? The answer is yes.

Do I want to spend $8,600? The answer is no because I just don't believe it is worth it.

If I win the powerball, will I overspend on a vintage 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard: Hell yeah!

Last edited:

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
Any player worth his salt should be able to rock out a Norlen LP ,, as good as any .
I mean honestly this can be said about any guitar ever. If Angus Young had a Maestro and I had a Gibson Custom Shop, he'd still be Angus Young and I'd still be a hack, just one with more money and less sense.

mudface

Boo Bee
Reaction score
I mean honestly this can be said about any guitar ever. If Angus Young had a Maestro and I had a Gibson Custom Shop, he'd still be Angus Young and I'd still be a hack, just one with more money and less sense.
Though lessons and practice is a good investment. A good guitar will help that investment prosper.

Put together a 15 song AC/DC set list and practice them 2 hours every day for several months you will be almost as good a Angus and better than most.

Then again ask Angus to play "The Rain Song" or "The Song Remains The Same" or "Running With The Devil"....You'll have another understanding of a "hack"

We are all hacks when it comes down to it........;)

moreles

Reaction score
'59 will always be older than '79. '59 will always be front-end and foundational to the LP (since the classic combo of features was achieved int eh '57 goldtops and the figure/burst the next year). '58-60 LPs will always have better maple and mahogany than Norlins. None of this (IMO) makes them with a quarter-million, or even "best" or somehow magical. Buyt surely it's obvious why one guitar has pride of place -- ditto for Teles, D-28s -- and others never will. Is it worth the $$$ difference the market attaches to it? I'd say no, no, no, no, no, but the obsessive materialist collectors obviously find value where I do not. And Gibson did pull some minor crap that while vastly overexaggerated IMO, opened to door to the "this is crappier" perspective. Specifically, terrible coloration, ugly paint formulation, and poor finish execution are very evident in Norlin sunbursts. Switching to multi-piece builds looks cheap and eliminates the previous standard for flametops. The infamous tenon changes, even if found to be sonically insignificant, were indeed a cost-cutting/ease of production move and so people are right to see this as a cheapening step -- because it is, even if the impact is zero. Gibson necver promoted the maple neck as a plus -- at the same time Alembic was making $$$$ from sandwich construction -- so it didn't get the props it might have. Bottom line? = easy to see why Norlins were perceived as a cheapening of the forumla; hard to see why the value difference is vast beyond all reason.

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
at the same time Alembic was making $$$$ from sandwich construction -- so it didn't get the props it might have.
The prior comments were excellent....But I should point out....Modern bass guitar designs largely benefit from multi-wood lamination. It's a completely different design philosophy.

mudface

Boo Bee
Reaction score
The prior comments were excellent....But I should point out....Modern bass guitar designs largely benefit from multi-wood lamination. It's a completely different design philosophy.
Alembic made guitars using the same laminate construction and Gibson is still producing multi laminate necks on new Custom Shop guitars.

60B487EA-0ABA-402E-899A-FAF6CD365EEE.jpeg

EFD0D0D4-9E7A-4E1C-ADCD-83FA164BAB1D.jpeg

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Alembic made guitars using the same laminate construction and Gibson is still producing multi laminate necks on new Custom Shop guitars.
Having worked in the MI business full-time for 30+ years I am very well aware of the products produced over time.

There are exceptions to every rule....but again, multi-laminate bass design is a thing unto itself. :cheers:

msalama

Reaction score
hard to see why the value difference is vast beyond all reason
Well, Norlins are still common as muck, whereas original Bursts definitely are not. And this is not me denigrating the Norlin era in the slightest since I love my '73 DLX dearly, but it just is what it is...

GearHo

Reaction score
There were only about 648 59 les Paul’s made so if you have the money, and most do NOT, you have a limited number of guitars to buy. Every one of them sounds good…..at least that is what the ads say.

there is no threat or competition from vintage vs norlin, they are very different animals. In fact, there is little competition from many guitars compared to a vintage les Paul.

vintage is a label that is being applied to other era’s of guitars because it brings more desirability, and more money.

there are vintage guitars from the fifties through the sixties, then you have old guitars from that point moving forward. The next best thing to the unaffordable, and mostly unobtainable vintage era guitar, is an old guitar. It makes sense vs buying a new shiny guitar or if your one of the relic police, an aged guitar from the custom shop.

I have guitars from every era, fifties, sixties, seventies, eighties, ninetit’s, and into the 2000’s

they all are judged individually as every instrument should be.

norlin guitars are not vintage, but they are old, and if you find a good one you have 445k left over to buy pedals and strings

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
There were only about 648 59 les Paul’s made so if you have the money, and most do NOT, you have a limited number of guitars to buy. Every one of them sounds good…..at least that is what the ads say.

there is no threat or competition from vintage vs norlin, they are very different animals. In fact, there is little competition from many guitars compared to a vintage les Paul.

vintage is a label that is being applied to other era’s of guitars because it brings more desirability, and more money.

there are vintage guitars from the fifties through the sixties, then you have old guitars from that point moving forward. The next best thing to the unaffordable, and mostly unobtainable vintage era guitar, is an old guitar. It makes sense vs buying a new shiny guitar or if your one of the relic police, an aged guitar from the custom shop.

I have guitars from every era, fifties, sixties, seventies, eighties, ninetit’s, and into the 2000’s

they all are judged individually as every instrument should be.

norlin guitars are not vintage, but they are old, and if you find a good one you have 445k left over to buy pedals and strings
I don’t know if I disagree or agree with you on it, but I’m curious how you came to the conclusion that anything after 1969 isn’t vintage and just “old.” I have never heard that rule before, so I’m just wondering what it is about 1970-1979 that make them “not vintage”? Personally, I think at least early 70s guitars qualify… a 1971 Les Paul is 50 years old, which seems pretty vintage to me. But I appreciate and agree with your overall point, I just read that and found it interesting.

msalama

Reaction score
norlin guitars are not vintage
They indeed are not, if our definition of vintage is "denoting something from the past of high quality, especially something representing the best of its kind". Now, how do you convince folks on Reverb trying to sell guitars at inflated prices that their stuff is not even vintage to begin with?

GearHo

Reaction score
I don’t know if I disagree or agree with you on it, but I’m curious how you came to the conclusion that anything after 1969 isn’t vintage and just “old.” I have never heard that rule before, so I’m just wondering what it is about 1970-1979 that make them “not vintage”? Personally, I think at least early 70s guitars qualify… a 1971 Les Paul is 50 years old, which seems pretty vintage to me. But I appreciate and agree with your overall point, I just read that and found it interesting.
Its not a rule, its just my opinion. I use the term vintage to describe a period in time, like the 50's to the 60's , whereas many think that a guitar can find its way into the same category because it is reaching a certain age.

I have a 64 strat, that to me,is vintage. I have a 73 strat, to me its old, which is still cool. But its a seperate distinction from my 64.

The vintage distinction covers quite a few years in the classifieds.

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a recurring debate as instruments only get older.

Some 70s guitars might not fit vintage standards, but they sure are becoming rare.
Rare is not vintage, but still has a bump in price.

nostalgia.png

msalama

Reaction score
Yeah, increasing demand and dwindling supply equals sought-after rare with prices rising. I just wish these particular fiddles were still unpopular rare, like 60's CBS Fenders not so long ago. Alas, no...

Latest Threads