the nib-less wonder! -or- satisfied

Liquid State

Reaction score
earlier in the year I had posted about some binding issues on my LP Special that I received as a xmas present. I received some great advice here about this being an issue being best handled through warranty. I thought I should update MLP with results.
The issue: the binding, the nibs, on my Special were separating from the fret ends and the high and low E string were getting caught in the crease/gap while playing. This was up and down the length of the fret board.

First stop: GC (place of purchase) where the issue was acknowledged, but was beyond their contractual ability to repair as an authorized repair shop. They are limited to 2 hours of work. I had a choice to return it at that point or see what Gibson could do.

Second stop: Gibson repair center. After the gtr showed up they (the facility manager) called me at home in the evening to discuss the various options (very nice and unexpected). Since I really wanted to keep this guitar as it was a gift, the best course of action was a re-fret.

The gtr had the nibs removed and was re-fretted. The neck was leveled and it appears the nut was replaced. Results: awesome

This guitar plays like a dream. When I first received it the P90 growl and tone had me sold. Now the playability is so easy and natural it has become my #1. Great service and a great result.

I guess the correct reaction is: Thank you Gibson!

Here she is: armed and ready

Peace,
SL

geddy

Reaction score
Really good news and good to see Gibson providing good customer service.

Enjoy!

Farquad

Reaction score
Love happy endings. That special rocks, so glad its working out for you.

KenG

Reaction score
If I had to do a refret I'd lose the nibs too!

Liquid State

Reaction score
@Texas,
the attenuator is the Weber Mass (not the Mass Lite). It is the 50w model with selector for various speaker ohms and EQ adjustments. Picked it up as a pretty good deal on ebay. I was planning to get rid of my Fender BDRI, it is just way too loud and no way to use the drive channel without knocking stuff off the walls . This Weber has tamed it right down. Can turn up clean channel to give just a bit of break-up when applying a harder attack and now I get nice tube OD on the drive channel at very low volumes.

I have seen that people have had mixed results - I love mine

SL

74_Custom

Reaction score
I hate the nibs. The first thing I did when I got my LP Custom was a refret and removed those stupid nibs.
Congrats! Those frets look slick

Ayton

Reaction score
Apparently this is how Les himself liked 'em. Glad you got it worked out.

Reaction score
Notice anything different about my 2013??:naughty:I hate fret end binding,and I didn't think twice about jumping on this when I seen it.Its a fine playing guitar..Its still the honeymoon,but I wouldn't be lying by saying its the best playing Gibson I have owned.

rjshare

Reaction score
be sure to keep any documentation from Gibson about the work, as if you ever want to sell it some buyers might be a bit wary about it having been refretted.

Liquid State

Reaction score
yeah - I had thought about that. Not just the concern over the re-fret but someone maybe thinking it's a fake because a bound Gibson neck should have nibs....
that siad, unlikely to be sold since it was a gift and even less likely now that it plays so nice

SL

Kamran

Reaction score
I like the nibs, fancy looking. They can be a slight pain in the ass at times but then I think, if I use proper technique the string can't snag between the fret and the nib, and it forces me to play better.

Latest Threads