The New Gibson CEO is...

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
I still don't understand why people are hoping for prices to all of the sudden drop, that is never going to happen with this or any other CEO, want a cheaper gibson? get an Epiphone. Gibson won't start cannibalizing their epi business just because. If anything, I see them raising the prices more than lowering them down the line. Just my 2 cents.
I always get a kick out of the fist shakers screaming for lower prices too. Not too hard to understand that the price of their guitars has never been an issue, and guitars in general had ZERO to do with Gibson's plight.

The only concern should be bringing the focus back to guitars period. Running Gibson is strictly business, and whether or not this guy can/does play, has ZERO to so with the outcome of this. As long as he hires the right people for sales/marketing, returns the focus of the company to guitars/music equipment, Gibson should be just fine.

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
I always get a kick out of the fist shakers screaming for lower prices too. Not too hard to understand that the price of their guitars has never been an issue, and guitars in general had ZERO to do with Gibson's plight.

The only concern should be bringing the focus back to guitars period. Running Gibson is strictly business, and whether or not this guy can/does play, has ZERO to so with the outcome of this. As long as he hires the right people for sales/marketing, returns the focus of the company to guitars/music equipment, Gibson should be just fine.
While I think people who want a LP Standard for $1500 are clueless, there is no denying that there have been some absurd price increases in recent years. A Custom Shop SG was $3,000 for over a decade, and now the cheapest CS SG is $4200 with 490/498s and a Nashville. You want Custombuckers like you got in 2013 for $3,000? That will be $6,000 today.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks like he had some good ideas with Levi's.

"“I’m not sure what you’re doing lately, but you have to act like a 150-year-old startup,” Curleigh told Levi’s during his initial conversations with the brand. “You have to take that authenticity, heritage and the starting point of making jeans, and then focus on the future. You have to focus on the future more than the past. That’s what a 150-year-old startup would do. Be agile and innovative and creative.”"

It should be interesting to see what that will mean for the Gibson brand.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
While I think people who want a LP Standard for $1500 are clueless, there is no denying that there have been some absurd price increases in recent years. A Custom Shop SG was $3,000 for over a decade, and now the cheapest CS SG is $4200 with 490/498s and a Nashville. You want Custombuckers like you got in 2013 for $3,000? That will be $6,000 today.
I wouldn't spend $100 on a SG. LOL

Seriously though, the SG is not the bread and butter by any means.

deeno11

Reaction score
I don’t really care if he plays the tuba. We all love this brand and would like to see it return to what it once was. We are all lying to ourselves if we think their current strategy is working. Things need to change. He wouldn’t be my first choice but I wish him the best of luck.

Stevie 202

Reaction score
Nope not him,He's been around quite awhile. Guy i'm thinking of would be younger and more recent than Stockwell..Minor roles like middle eastern/European type terrorist parts.

Dang wish i could remember.

Nic Cage?

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
I don’t really care if he plays the tuba. We all love this brand and would like to see it return to what it once was. We are all lying to ourselves if we think their current strategy is working. Things need to change. He wouldn’t be my first choice but I wish him the best of luck.
It depends on which area you are talking about. The fact that the overall current strategy is not working is rather obvious, hence the BK filing. The guitars have nothing to do with that. It is the buying of so many companies with other interests that got them into trouble.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for missing the point and adding nothing to the discussion but an insult. Every time I come back around here, somebody manages to remind me why I don't often...
Lighten up Lucy....it was a joke, hence, the “seriously” part. That part is fact. It’s the Les Paul that is the bread and butter instrument. The reissues, CC’s, artist runs.

The Custom Shop SG’s pricing....if it was 3k for a decade, it was due for an increase. Not to mention, that’s retail pricing, so nobody really pays that anyway.

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Lighten up Lucy....it was a joke, hence, the “seriously” part. That part is fact. It’s the Les Paul that is the bread and butter instrument. The reissues, CC’s, artist runs.

The Custom Shop SG’s pricing....if it was 3k for a decade, it was due for an increase. Not to mention, that’s retail pricing, so nobody really pays that anyway.
... and a dismissal of anyone who is insulted by your comments, with juvenile name-calling to top it off. Wow. I know, humility and consideration are tough. Be an adult.

And that part is not a fact. The SG is Gibson's best selling guitar of all time:

http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/the-sg-standard-414.aspx

Also wrong; those are all street prices, not MSRP.

Also, you ignored that it has been de-contented at the same time as the price increase.

HeartString

>>>RSIYH<<<
Reaction score
Thanks for missing the point and adding nothing to the discussion but an insult. Every time I come back around here, somebody manages to remind me why I don't often...
Can I be the reminder this time Owen!! Please, please!!! I'm the Shower Curtain Fella!

If you'll permit me, I think you're taking your "Senior Member" moniker too seriously. Start a "GO Fund Me" page for the basic membership and we'll gladly pay your way in here. I don't know about the others, but I find your comments fascinating!!!

Oh, one last thing, here is a clue to your online relationship troubles.

Typeform-Blog-Gifs-Inline05.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: ehb

staffy

Reaction score
Woo Hooo , Backstage runway doesn't seem to want to grant landing space.......go dump your fuel somewhere and have another attempt when you lighten up a bit.......runway might be free a bit later....or you could keep circling and wait for advice from the Lt. in the control tower

staffy

Reaction score
Woo Hooo , Backstage runway doesn't seem to want to grant landing space.......go dump your fuel somewhere and have another attempt when you lighten up a bit.......runway might be free a bit later....or you could keep circling and wait for advice from the Lt. in the control tower

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
... and a dismissal of anyone who is insulted by your comments, with juvenile name-calling to top it off. Wow. I know, humility and consideration are tough. Be an adult.

And that part is not a fact. The SG is Gibson's best selling guitar of all time:

http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/the-sg-standard-414.aspx

Also wrong; those are all street prices, not MSRP.

Also, you ignored that it has been de-contented at the same time as the price increase.
I was talking Custom Shop, not Memphis produced guitars. You need not look any further than the ratio of Les Paul's (Reissues, Customs, Juniors, etc.) produced each year vs. SG's in that respect. Not to mention it isn't hard to figure out that there are many models of the "Les Paul", and they aren't basing "best selling" off of the combined Les Paul models, where you would count all Les Paul's from Custom's to Reissue's to Standards, Traditionals, etc., etc..

While the exact sales numbers are harder to pin down (but still very obvious), your "street price" quotes are not hard to dismiss at all. A simple search of Sweetwater's inventory, and boom.....BRAND NEW, $3299.00, and that's a list price. Since I had to call on an order I placed anyway, I asked Brent, my sales rep, about their best out the door price.....it was SOUTH of 3k, so....https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SGCustEBGH--gibson-custom-sg-custom-ebony.

That makes sense too, because here is a mint 2017 on the bay......SOLD for $2200 on bids. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&toolid=10001&campid=5338014323&icep_item=223117828101

As for my "lighten up lucy" comment, that's a saying, not a personal insult. The guitar itself...play whatever ya like. Personal preference. I was simply pointing out that there are Custom Shop SG's readily available for well under what you are claiming the "street price" is. Sure, you can find them for more....Wildwood is always good for charging a few K extra for their smoke and mirror "specs". But rest easy, as I linked above, there are CS SG's out there for good prices.