the "New Classic" appriciation thread

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
"But no need to bash prior years, to pump yours up."

I'm sorry, I don't think anyone is bashing yours or any others guitars in this thread!
I didn't take offense, I know the Gem I have,. But it is language like

"I've been wanting a new Lester but the build quality was hit and miss for years. "

and particularly

"The quality is much better than it's been in years "

That can be, and will be, seen by more than a few, as saying prior year Classics are inferior to this years.

Why even say that? Simply say, the quality of mine is top notch, superior, everything I could have hoped for, worthy of the Gibson name of legend, etc. All saying great things about yours, without passively aggressively saying others, from prior years are inferior.

Just advice.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I didn't take offense, I know the Gem I have,. But it is language like

"I've been wanting a new Lester but the build quality was hit and miss for years. "

and particularly

"The quality is much better than it's been in years "

That can be, and will be, seen by more than a few, as saying prior year Classics are inferior to this years.

Why even say that? Simply say, the quality of mine is top notch, superior, everything I could have hoped for, worthy of the Gibson name of legend, etc. All saying great things about yours, without passively aggressively saying others, from prior years are inferior.

Just advice.
I might be the only one, but I didn’t read his post with any passive aggressive feel. It was complimenting this years classics but I didn’t think it meant past years were all bad.

I figured he just meant overall quality control has been better this year than past (which many people have echoed for all the recent models). Meaning there are great classics from every year, but a greater portion of the Classics being produced this year are gems compared to prior years.

For example, perhaps n prior years 60 out of 100 classics were gems and great players, but this year 90 out of 100 are gems. So there’s great Classics from every year but you’re more likely to get a gem with their quality control this year than in the past.

Either way, I’d be happy with classics from all the years that I’ve seen. Each has its merits. I like the hand wired aspect in some of the older years, or the hotter 500T pickups, and finishes available in some other years that we don’t have in recent ones. So I think the best year is the one that has the specs someone is looking for and agree there’s awesome classics from every year.e

Last edited:

speyfly

Reaction score
Regarding Gibson quality, all you have to do is talk to anyone that has worked in a Gibson retail shop for the last 10 years and they will tell you that the quality of the guitars built today has greatly improved. By doing things like pleking all guitars,(think they started that in 2014) helped a bunch but their guitars were hit and miss to get a great one with no blems or flaws. Just talked to a long time friend that does work in a Gibson shop and he stated that the consistency has gotten better over the last few years.

If you doubt me just start reading about Gibson's quality control issues of the past and you'll have your answer.

Last edited:

Latest Threads