the "New Classic" appriciation thread

Non-rabbit

Reaction score
Having the strings touch the back of the bridge is a no-no; the strings should only touch the saddles. When the strings touch the back of the bridge, they are pulling the bridge back instead of just down. This could warp/collapse the bridge over time or bend the bridge posts, and it also creates more points of contact which could potentially reduce sustain (although that part is doubtful) or cause tuning issues.

On my LP Tribute, if you want the strings to not touch the back of the bridge, you have to set the tailpiece pretty dang high, like almost a quarter inch up. By top wrapping, I can screw the tailpiece in all the way and still get that shallower break angle. Having it screwed into the body all the way supposedly increases sustain (though I haven't noticed a different tbh).

Most LPs don't have that problem though, and people just do it to reduce the break angle, but you could do that just as easily by simply raising the tailpiece.
Thanks that's a great explanation! Much appreciated :)

SG_Lefty

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still waiting since Christmas for my Black Lefty Classic..

lakeburst

Reaction score
Looks fantastic .... very nice guitar!

:dude:

My congrats! :headbanger:

.... aaaaand HNGD

sonar1

Reaction score
My children (until LtDave finishes my Desert Star 1 X P-90). There’s room!
From left: 2021 Special Tribute; 2020 Slash; 2021 Slash; 2019 Standard ‘50’s:
CD05AD07-5114-416F-810E-63F7431F879B.jpeg

And a P-bass in back, because y’know...

speyfly

Reaction score
Still waiting since Christmas for my Black Lefty Classic..
Sorry to hear that you're still waiting for your new Classic. Hope she shows up soon, waiting can be tough but it'll be worth the wait!

speyfly

Reaction score
I just ordered a 2017 Classic in heritage cherry sunburst. Not sure if 2017 still counts as a "new classic" but I'm pretty stoked!

This comes after a 3 week long ordeal of ordering a 2000 Classic, receiving it and discovering there were lots of undisclosed issues. It was a fantastic guitar otherwise, but it caused me to opt for something newer this time.
Hey Brian, sorry that the 00 didn't workout, it happens. I think the 2017 Classic will be close enough to fit the thread topic. AND, I want to see some pics when you get her.

Reaction score

I think it is one of the most difficult colors to photograph, red at times can appear brown, or pink, depending on the light the wood seems completely smooth, or with a beautiful subtle grain in the background.

Today's pickups have raw (but polished and sweat-worn) covers. Unfortunately I have no photos yet

Brian N

Reaction score
Hey Brian, sorry that the 00 didn't workout, it happens. I think the 2017 Classic will be close enough to fit the thread topic. AND, I want to see some pics when you get her.
Thank you, I appreciate that. I've been saving up and selling pretty much everything I have that I'm not going to use again for the past year and a half to save up for my first real Les Paul. I was stoked when I finally ordered one; there were only 4 pictures and not but a single sentence in the description, but it was listed as "excellent" and he assured me there was no fret wear, and even sent me some pictures of a couple of the frets. When it finally arrived, it had several gouges and scrapes that weren't shown in the pictures, the neck and bridge were coated in grime, and the binding was cracked in at least 20 places. It also had some significant fret wear on two of the frets (two that the seller conveniently didn't photograph). It played great though and had a gorgeous figured honeyburst, and I considered keeping it, but in the end I just couldn't live with having paid top dollar for something that was in such a condition.

The seller didn't balk at taking it back, but he took the better part of a week to email me a return label, and once returned he waited a couple days longer to issue a refund. I'm just glad that's over. The idea of having saved up for so long and then getting deceived like that was disheartening. I really like those old Classics, but a newer one seems safer to me after that.

For what it's worth, the seller immediately relisted the returned guitar, adding no additional pictures or descriptions about the flaws, but just changing the condition from "Excellent" to "Very Good".

I'll definitely be posting pictures when the new one arrives (assuming all is well with it)!

Brian N

Reaction score
This will count as my NGD post: About a year and a half ago, I wasn't even sure I wanted a Les Paul, but I bought one (a LP Tribute) and it quickly became my favorite guitar. So I figured it was worth it to spring for a high-end (well, mid-range, but as high end as I'll ever go) version. Since then, I've been saving up, selling virtually everything I can think of from gear to old video games to unused furniture, and I finally got enough to buy what I wanted. I researched for hours and hours to find the instrument with exactly the specs I wanted, from neck profile, to fret size, weight relief type, and finish.

And so I present my dream guitar: a 2017 Gibson Les Paul Classic.

speyfly

Reaction score
Oh, Brian, that is a sweet guitar and perfect specs (for you) too. Congrats my friend, do you deserve her? I think so!

The only thing I would change is get rid of the speed knobs and install reflectors, just my preference...

Brian N

Reaction score
Oh, Brian, that is a sweet guitar and perfect specs (for you) too. Congrats my friend, do you deserve her? I think so!

The only thing I would change is get rid of the speed knobs and install reflectors, just my preference...
Thank you! I'm very much considering switching to either gold reflectors or gold top hats, with thumb bleeders. And possibly adding a poker chip as well.

Latest Threads