the "New Classic" appriciation thread

speyfly

Reaction score
I'm so happy that Gibson is under new ownership with a new guy at the helm that is steering Gibson in the right direction for a mass produced guitar company. I've been wanting a new Lester but the build quality was hit and miss for years. A Gold Top was on my radar and my guitar rep said there might be a chance to grab a special run GT when I placed my order. The special run didn't happen but that's OK, love this guitar.

The Classic is an awesome guitar, full stop! The quality is much better than it's been in years and I don't think anyone could bash the build and the tonal quality of this guitar and if they do, they don't know shit! I was really liking the Ebony Classic but I already had an ebony SG so I decided on the no-burst, love the plain top.

Here's a few pics of mine, PLEASE post yours and tell us a little about it.

DSC_0410.JPG
DSC_0412.JPG
DSC_0415.JPG

Last edited:

Classicplayer

Reaction score
A really nice looking Les Paul. My '18 Traditional is in a light Honeyburst with the BB1, 2 combination for pickups. These new Classics are showing up in larger numbers this past year.

Classicplayer

Last edited:

speyfly

Reaction score
Your Trans Cherry with creams and nickel looks awesome. I like how you can really see the grain and the mineral spots really pop. A stunning beauty and I bet she has a great voice too!

speyfly

Reaction score
My brother recently acquired a Les Paul Classic from Sweetwater in their exclusive "Green Ocean Burst" finish. Give it a second, it will grow on you. It is very pretty.

Now that has a WOW factor of 9.9, tell your brother that his guitar is a stunner!

pondcaster

Reaction score
Your Trans Cherry with creams and nickel looks awesome. I like how you can really see the grain and the mineral spots really pop. A stunning beauty and I bet she has a great voice too!
You'd win that bet!

Yep, the top on this one is really something. Lots of grain, bunch of mineral streaks, a big ring that's very similar to my Unburst and a beautiful finish. That and tone in spades. Only problem is I'm having a hard time putting down the Unburst long enough to play Red as much as she deserves.

My brother recently acquired a Les Paul Classic from Sweetwater in their exclusive "Green Ocean Burst" finish. Give it a second, it will grow on you. It is very pretty.

Wow! That's gorgeous. I looked at a used one of those a while back, pictures don't do them justice.

speyfly

Reaction score
You'd win that bet!

Yep, the top on this one is really something. Lots of grain, bunch of mineral streaks, a big ring that's very similar to my Unburst and a beautiful finish. That and tone in spades. Only problem is I'm having a hard time putting down the Unburst long enough to play Red as much as she deserves.

Wow! That's gorgeous. I looked at a used one of those a while back, pictures don't do them justice.
I know what you mean regarding neglecting your other girls. I have a couple of Tele's, a Slab DC and a SG that's not getting the attention they deserve. Ya know how girls can be, if you don't give them the attention they want they end up leaving the stable!:oops:

Non-rabbit

Reaction score
I could go on all day about these new Classics. I've got a 2020 in ebony and it's everything I want a guitar to be. For me it's the best current production Les Paul, period. I wouldn't change a thing. The quality and attention to detail are excellent.

From a purely business standpoint it's a cunning product too, in terms of the spec and price point. IMO they nailed down a magic combination. I guess I'm living proof because when I bought mine I didn't do any forum research or anything beforehand. I didn't know these were becoming a loved model. I was just looking at guitars at the store and felt like it was pretty obvious that the Classic was THE Les Paul to get right now. Nice to come on here and get such validation since I'm not a Gibson loremaster by any means!

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Classics rule...period...end of story
i have a few

most recent was an 18 goldie!

I remain awed by the fact that I got a lester goldtop with binding and p90s for under $2k new...

classics are so underrated....

Love yours btw...absolutely awesome...
it’s stunning how good the painters are at Gibson… It’s so effortless the fade on your top… She truly is a perfect piece of art

go classics!

-chris

67EF3680-4CFB-454E-8E14-CE67F6C4D151.jpeg

speyfly

Reaction score
Oh man, an SG with Mini's and Trem accompanied by a Classic GT with P90's and a Bigsby, doesn't get much better than that!

SWEEEET!!!

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I could go on all day about these new Classics. I've got a 2020 in ebony and it's everything I want a guitar to be. For me it's the best current production Les Paul, period. I wouldn't change a thing. The quality and attention to detail are excellent.

From a purely business standpoint it's a cunning product too, in terms of the spec and price point. IMO they nailed down a magic combination. I guess I'm living proof because when I bought mine I didn't do any forum research or anything beforehand. I didn't know these were becoming a loved model. I was just looking at guitars at the store and felt like it was pretty obvious that the Classic was THE Les Paul to get right now. Nice to come on here and get such validation since I'm not a Gibson loremaster by any means!
A few months back when I started hunting for a Les Paul and knew almost nothing. I went into a local store and asked to play every LP they had on the rack (A custom, Standard 50's, Studio, Tribute, and a Classic. Only the standard 60's was out of stock). Of all of them, the classic was my favorite by a huge margin, the slim 60's neck def had a big part to play in that. The only LP I liked almost as much was the Custom that cost more than double the price.

I ended up with a standard 60's which shared many of the same features (slim neck, hotter 61 R/T pickups) because I wanted a specific finish the classics didn't come in, and preferred the slightly more traditional features like the solid body and hand soldered wiring. But I would love to get one of these new Classics in trans cherry some day to offer a more versatile and modern complement to my standard 60's, plus I'd love to have a plain top solid colored LP to pair with my flamey burst haha. This thread is def not helping the GAS!

Last edited:

pondcaster

Reaction score
Just curious - what's the benefit of stringing it wraparound like that?
I've just started stringing my LPs this way in the last year so I'm pretty new to it. Saw it in threads here on MLP and had noticed it before on vintage Lesters. I think the idea is that it reduces the tension on the strings and some find it helps with sustain and/or tone?

I'm liking the difference in feel so I'll most likely keep doing it.

Brian N

Reaction score
Just curious - what's the benefit of stringing it wraparound like that?
Having the strings touch the back of the bridge is a no-no; the strings should only touch the saddles. When the strings touch the back of the bridge, they are pulling the bridge back instead of just down. This could warp/collapse the bridge over time or bend the bridge posts, and it also creates more points of contact which could potentially reduce sustain (although that part is doubtful) or cause tuning issues.

On my LP Tribute, if you want the strings to not touch the back of the bridge, you have to set the tailpiece pretty dang high, like almost a quarter inch up. By top wrapping, I can screw the tailpiece in all the way and still get that shallower break angle. Having it screwed into the body all the way supposedly increases sustain (though I haven't noticed a different tbh).

Most LPs don't have that problem though, and people just do it to reduce the break angle, but you could do that just as easily by simply raising the tailpiece.

Brian N

Reaction score
I just ordered a 2017 Classic in heritage cherry sunburst. Not sure if 2017 still counts as a "new classic" but I'm pretty stoked!

This comes after a 3 week long ordeal of ordering a 2000 Classic, receiving it and discovering there were lots of undisclosed issues. It was a fantastic guitar otherwise, but it caused me to opt for something newer this time.

Latest Threads