The New Brown Les Paul Hard Shell Cases are Pretty Nice

Pappy35

Reaction score
Was it like the one I pictured in this thread with the square latches? Great quality on that case. Better than I’ve seen from Gibson in a long time.
Yes. It was exactly the same. Best guitar case I've ever had.

Last edited:

none2low

Reaction score
I’ve had multiples of all three (TKL, Chinese, and Costa Rican) and always found the latter to be the nicest and lightest.
Thats interesting. I can't comment on the Chinese cases, but my Costa Rican cases are the heaviest of the lot by a good couple of pounds (both mine come in at 11.5lbs)

I wonder if there is more than one factory in Costa Rica making cases for Gibson.

danzego

Reaction score
Yeah, definitely not the Chinese version, which has fake sticking around the bottom of the case. Another way to tell is by just checking the tag inside the case. You’ll see where it’s made.

The new Custom Shop Lifton cases are made in Costa Rica, btw. Way better case than the padding-less ones from before.

Injector

Reaction score
Although the older TKL cases are much lighter the quality was terrible towards the end. Badly glues tolex, bubbles, awful seams - almost every case had aesthetic faults. Gibson changed supplier and although much heavier, the new Chinese and Costa Rican cases are of a considerably higher quality.

I just worry about the handles falling off with all the weight. They seem very precariously attached.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
My personal favorites are the Canadian made TKL cases. Specifically the 90's brown case with pink shroud and the black CS case with velvet interior - IMO these offer the best compromise between good protection and weight.
My favorites too!

mjross

Reaction score
I like Crown Royal, but I digress!

Oh yeah, tag in case pocket says made in Costa Rica!

Last edited:

dro

Reaction score
I’ll take the TKL please.
So what happend to TKL. Was this a decision by the new CEO? The guy who decided to get rid of all the quality employees, and hire a bunch of inexperienced workers on the cheap?

LPJNoob

Reaction score
The Gibson Soft “football” cases are very nice. I have a few I use for gigs. They are my favorites!
Do they have new HSCs strictly for Juniors? Need to upgrade my old Gibson HSC.

Kostas.

Reaction score
I can't see from the photos what is new, it looks like the case it came with my '13 ES-330.
If I could choose a case I would pick the HP case, even for RI's.

Seabee

Reaction score
I had the same case for my GK 55 back in the day only black. Same handles too

Southwest

Reaction score
Mine came with a 'Made in Canada' case - it's a 2020 model
As did mine. With the lovely smell. Guitar is a 2019 (November) 60s series LP Standard. Bought in March this year in the UK. Contained all the case candy, so I'm assuming it is the one that the guitar was supposed to come in.

mjross

Reaction score
I can't see from the photos what is new, it looks like the case it came with my '13 ES-330.
If I could choose a case I would pick the HP case, even for RI's.

These aluminum cases are very cool, especially for that special Les Paul in your collection. Love them but they are a little heavy. Nonetheless, very classy case for your favorite Les Paul.

Latest Threads