The New Brown Les Paul Hard Shell Cases are Pretty Nice

mjross

Reaction score
I recently purchased a new 50’s Les Paul from Sweetwater and I will tell you this, SW did an excellent job setting up and shipping the guitar. However, I found a scratch/tear across the top of the case. No big deal but I let my sales engineer Dave M. know about the blemish. He insisted that I get a replacement. That replacement case just arrived.

The new brown replacement case that I received is seriously better than the case I received with the guitar. Gibson has really made an improvement in the “old brown case”. When it arrived, both my wife and I thought it had a guitar in it. It really makes the old brown cases seem flimsy by comparison. The latches are serious and heavy duty and the interior even seems to be an improvement. The new cases are very nice, however, damn they are heavy! At $149, they are IMHO a pretty good deal.

Last edited:

mjross

Reaction score
Sweet! Yah that’s what my sons classic came in. Made in Costa Rica iirc
Yeah, I was surprised! It’s way better than the case that came with my 2020 Standard. Not sure what Gibson has up their sleeve here.

cowsgomoo

Reaction score
was disappointed that mine didn’t smell anywhere near as strongly like vanilla/cookies, compared to the others I’ve had. It did still have a nice guitar inside tho, which I guess is the main thing :)

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
Those Made in China cases are wayyy too heavy in my opinion. I guess that maybe means that they are more “solid”, but I prefer the Costa Rican cases. Pretty light and great quality.... plus, not Made in China. A Gibson shouldn’t have a Chinese case.

none2low

Reaction score
I'm confused. Is the pictured case made in Costa Rica? I thought I remembered reading that the new square latched cases were Made in China?

I agree the Costa Rica made cases are nicely made, but heavy.

My personal favorites are the Canadian made TKL cases. Specifically the 90's brown case with pink shroud and the black CS case with velvet interior - IMO these offer the best compromise between good protection and weight.

Do most of you prefer heavier cases?

Personally unless were talking about an Anvil case, I've never associated how heavy a case is with the protection it offered. Maybe naively I assumed that the heavier cases simply used wetter and denser wood, rather than a lightweight cross laminate.

mjross

Reaction score
Ok, I have a lot of Les Paul cases and this new case is very nice, heavy but nice! And I have no idea of where it was make! Doesn’t really matter in this day and age.

Pappy35

Reaction score
The one I bought from Wildwood in September that I just sold had a Costa Rican case. I was VERY impressed with it's quality.

Injector

Reaction score
Those Made in China cases are wayyy too heavy in my opinion. I guess that maybe means that they are more “solid”, but I prefer the Costa Rican cases. Pretty light and great quality.... plus, not Made in China. A Gibson shouldn’t have a Chinese case.
The Costa Rican cases weigh a ton. I have one.

none2low

Reaction score
Ok, I have a lot of Les Paul cases and this new case is very nice, heavy but nice! And I have no idea of where it was make! Doesn’t really matter in this day and age.
I wasn't intending to imply that it wasn't a quality case, regardless of its origin.

It was more a case of curiosity as I personally prefer the TKL manufactured cases.

mjross

Reaction score
The one I bought from Wildwood in September that I just sold had a Costa Rican case. I was VERY impressed with it's quality.
Was it like the one I pictured in this thread with the square latches? Great quality on that case. Better than I’ve seen from Gibson in a long time. Not sure how the vinyl will hold up, that’s always the rub. In fact, I do not take my HSC’s out any more. I mean if you looked at them wrong you would scrape or tear them. What I do is use the new soft “football” cases for gigging and I just watch them like a hawk. The new soft cases protect pretty well and are very durable if you don’t get too crazy. They would never have worked years ago when I was gigging heavy, but for the occasional gig these days, they are perfect. Nonetheless, let’s hope the vinyl on these new cases is more durable than the vinyl from the past. Rock on!

mjross

Reaction score
I wasn't intending to imply that it wasn't a quality case, regardless of its origin.

It was more a case of curiosity as I personally prefer the TKL manufactured cases.
Understood! I always liked the TKL cases too. Not sure who makes these new cases but I’m diggin them. I guess time will tell.

mjross

Reaction score
I was sitting here thinking about this new case and how heavy it is and glanced across the studio and saw one of my Les Paul Standard HP Aluminum Cases. The new case does not seem so heavy anymore! Just sayin...

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Costa Rican cases weigh a ton. I have one.
Interesting. My newest 2020 Costa Rican case weighs about 1/2 of the Chinese. It’s not even close. Regardless, I’ve had multiples of all three (TKL, Chinese, and Costa Rican) and always found the latter to be the nicest and lightest.

Latest Threads