The neck sound?

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, this risks a wtf? Is he on about response, lol. I was sat playing ma geetar yesterday and I wanted to tweak the delay time on my pedal, so I reach down to do so, and as I moved the guitar away my ear pressed against the back of the neck and I caught the strings on my sleeve, my god it was loud, vey metallic almost banjo like. But organic and raw sounding.

So I strummed a few chords and the vibrations were very much in evidence. This was the thinner neck of the R0, and suddenly everything people talk about the neck made sense, even the stuff I had previously dismissed as wishful thinking. I believe that the truss rod channel acted as a bit of a chamber which is why was surprisingly loud, but also I now think that the neck joint is really really important to a guitars sound I knew it was important as people have said it is.

It was amazing to experience physically the concept of how vibration from the fretboard works, the R0 was brighter and louder with a more metallic ring than the thicker R9 neck. I think getting the maximum transference from the neck to the body is the beauty of gibsons glued neck and the ultra hard old hide glue joints of the originals are probably very intrinsic to the particular sound of those guitars. I would like to be able to capture that sound somehow, maybe a contact mic would do it, would be an interesting test to see what result is.

el84ster

Reaction score
It is surprising and counter intuitive, but the neck is so much of the sound of a guitar!
I’m convinced I’d all things are equal, the non truss rod sheath gibsons sound better.
and yeah, thicker neck seems to equal thicker tone.
Well it is half the length of the guitar I guess.

ARandall

Reaction score
The truss rod channel is completely filled. There is no chamber.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As ever, an education Mr R, i thought there might have been some space in that channel.

Latest Threads