DavGrape

Southeast
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nah... I'm not hearing it...
Hahaha!

redking

Reaction score
I remembered that song instantly after the intro - but if I had a gun to my head and had to hum a Justin Bieber song to save my life, I'd be a gonner. o_O

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sergio Mendes is a classically trained musician who, like many of the great Brazilian bossa nova musicians, was phenomenal jazz musicians.

Jazz musicians dislike repetitive chord progressions so it's natural for them to change the chord progressions under the same melody, or modulate the chorus or the bridge of a song to give the song color and depth. The music theory makes perfect sense.

Really not as difficult as he makes it out ... and from a jazz perspective not all that unusual.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
McArthur Park by (actor) Richard Harris.

Might also hold a record for the worst delivery and worst lyrics.

How it made it onto the charts, and Rise to the #2 Billboard hot 100 June 22nd of 1968, I'll never understand.

What's worse, Donna Summer covered it as a Disco tune.

It even beat out Yummy Yummy Yummy by the Ohio Express.

Oddly, Sergio Mendes and Brazil 66 had the #5 chart position that week with The Look of Love.

Herb Alpert was in the #1 position that week, for basically talking his way through This Guy's in Love With You.

TheWelder

Reaction score
Must have been one hell of a vocalist to be able to nail all those key modulations for a 'gig later that same day.' Cool stuff.

voggin

Reaction score
McArthur Park by (actor) Richard Harris.

Might also hold a record for the worst delivery and worst lyrics.

How it made it onto the charts, and Rise to the #2 Billboard hot 100 June 22nd of 1968, I'll never understand.

What's worse, Donna Summer covered it as a Disco tune.

It even beat out Yummy Yummy Yummy by the Ohio Express.

Oddly, Sergio Mendes and Brazil 66 had the #5 chart position that week with The Look of Love.

Herb Alpert was in the #1 position that week, for basically talking his way through This Guy's in Love With You.

A couple of years ago I went down the internet rabbit hole to lists of old top tens from various weeks in the sixties and seventies. It made me feel better, actually, about today's music: sometimes I think good music is dead, but then I realize there was a hell of a lot of crap making the charts in the so-called golden eras. There's still lots of good stuff being made. My wife is particularly good at finding cool new indie bands, lots of great guitar-driven stuff, though nothing like "classic rock".

Latest Threads