The Most Beautiful Les Pauls

GibsonMarshallGuy

Reaction score
Well I didn't mean it quite like that, I meant the problem with the reality of that take is that most just haven't had their guitars long enough to be really beat up and/or can't afford to purchase a vintage guitar with that kind of wear. I think lots of people love the old war horses but again many aren't old enough to have had one of the originals and who can afford them now? I have no problem with what you like or free thinking as I like to engage in it myself. Peace to you.

Some people just take good care of their guitars.

Jedadiah

Reaction score
I let this one go just before Christmas. '98 LP Double Cut Studio. Played hard and put away wet!

c18e7768.jpg

e356a35a.jpg

fcdbfc49.jpg

cff22e62.jpg

Burst Boy

Reaction score
I play the hell out of mine AND baby them. My oldest guitar is now 15 years old and looks new (not that it's very old in the big picture). Doesn't take much effort to play them, enjoy them and look after them. There is nothing more I appreciate than a seriously old guitar that still looks new, probably holds more value too (if you care about that).

And...just because an old guitar don't look beat to death don't mean it aint a great sounding player.

acstorfer

Reaction score
I play the hell out of mine AND baby them. My oldest guitar is now 15 years old and looks new (not that it's very old in the big picture). Doesn't take much effort to play them, enjoy them and look after them. There is nothing more I appreciate than a seriously old guitar that still looks new, probably holds more value too (if you care about that).

And...just because an old guitar don't look beat to death don't mean it aint a great sounding player.

You're sounding a bit defensive there. It's cool if you like a certain look, just like its fine if others like a certain look.

Ambrola

Reaction score
I think the Heritage Elites are the best looking and playing guitars. As to wear, I want my old guitars to look brand new. I am not into the battle scare club.

phread

Reaction score
This '54 is used, but not abused. It does show it's age, but it sings like an angel and plays like a dream!

Attachments

• 54LesPaulF1.jpg
    54LesPaulF1.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 41

Shadowplayer

Reaction score
Here is my 1970 Norlin. Routed, plugged, swapped, and played to death.

Goldtop2002.jpg
One beautiful guitar, but thats a good example of the one thing i hate about Goldtops. the green discoloring. drives the sh*t out of me

foxtrot

Reaction score
I agree that there's an appeal to well worn guitars (though there is a difference between well worn and abused), they have character, they tell a story. You might not know where they've been, what they've played, or who they've pleased, but you know that those guitars have been around, loved, and spent a lot of time doing what they were meant to - make music.

cck801

Reaction score
I have a lot of respect for OP's opinion, and I do think there is a lot of inherent, natural beauty in an instrument that shows its journey. I do think it is more of a subjective beauty, as one person may look at a worn, banged up guitar and think it's the most beautiful thing in the world, while another might look at the same guitar and thing it is downright ugly. New guitars, or more taken care of older guitars, with sleek contours, lines, and reflective finish, and unblemished, beautiful grains, IMO are more objectively beautiful. For instance, I think most, if not all of us, can agree the guitar that Fracture posted above is a fine piece of craftsmanship (and a very beautiful guitar), no? I could be wrong on this, but I get the feeling that some cringe at a beat up, damaged-looking LP (while others covet such guitars). But again, like OP said, it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Burst Boy

Reaction score
Quoted by acstorfer-"You're sounding a bit defensive there. It's cool if you like a certain look, just like its fine if others like a certain look."

Absolutely 100% not defensive. I'm just stating MY opinion and what I like to see with old guitars and what I do to keep my guitars looking new.
Absolutely 100% agree that it is fine if others like a certain look and totally respect that.

Jeez... it's hard to explain and convey opinions over the Internet without indicators that are normally passed between humans when they converse with each other. This forum is particularly bad for people’s comments to be misconstrued. And I'm not being defensive by stating this, just noting my observations.

Reaction score
Yeah, that's real beauty.... like a flat chested, toothless, 300lb, eyepatch wearing one legged stripper.... hoo boy she could tell some stories..:naughty:

Beauty is one thing, character is another.

foxtrot

Reaction score
Yeah, that's real beauty.... like a flat chested, toothless, 300lb, eyepatch wearing one legged stripper.... hoo boy she could tell some stories..:naughty:

Beauty is one thing, character is another.

And both are subjective (often arbitrarily founded) and vary with regards to what we are focusing on (whether guitars or women, for instance) :thumb:

Latest Threads