The Most Beautiful Les Pauls

The_Sentry

Reaction score
OK, I get that there is an obsession on this board in regards to how the Les Paul looks. There are more threads dedicated to this vs. how it plays or how it sounds. I get this, and even though every once in a while I have to poke fun at it, ;) I do realize that the forum and the information shared is primarily based on imagery.

I can't even guess as to how many Les Pauls I've seen in 4+ years since joining this forum. How many? A few. OK, a lot. Maybe 1 too many. Every kind of model, every kind of color, any kind of mod you can think of?

I've probably seen it or something close to it.

You know which Les Pauls get to me at this point? The ones that really make me go "Damn, that's awesome.."

It's the Les Pauls that don't try to win the beauty pageant. It's the ugly ones. It's the Studios that have been beaten to hell. It's the old Norlins that are scarred and stained. It's the beater guitars with the mismatched hardware. It's the 1-offs that probably weren't cool when they were new...but someone still bought one and played it to hell and back again. I like those because someone has played the hell out of them and loved on ém. Granted, I know there's a few cats here who take pride in trying to recreate that...but you know somethin'? When it really comes down to it?

Yeah...you can tell. ;) Sorry man...but the wear and tear is never even on guitars like this.

So...carry on with your perfectly aged reproductions or your brand spankin' new guitars. Hit me up when someone posts something old, that doesn't look cool at all, and that has some battle scars on it. Hell, it might even have a few stickers on it too.

Those are the Most Beautiful Les Pauls. It's true enough that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but somethin' that has been loved on can't be denied.

Peace.

Fracture

Reaction score
06R0DarkburstDarkback013-1.jpg

This one still moves me to this day, MLP's Sean French R0.
A stunning plaintop.

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
06R0DarkburstDarkback013-1.jpg

This one still moves me to this day, MLP's Sean French R0.
A stunning plaintop.

Type about pristine!?

------------------------------------

I read ya Sentry, but I play/played mine a lot and even though they don't look like Sean French's, they still look pretty good. I prefer them that way. Having said that, I don't mind looking at ones that have been "beat-up" either. Like you said, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

:cheers:

politenessman

Reaction score
nice special. looks like he swapped his chip for a gasket. bound neck, stop tail, awesome.

NRBQ

Reaction score
OK, I get that there is an obsession on this board in regards to how the Les Paul looks. There are more threads dedicated to this vs. how it plays or how it sounds. I get this, and even though every once in a while I have to poke fun at it, ;) I do realize that the forum and the information shared is primarily based on imagery.

I can't even guess as to how many Les Pauls I've seen in 4+ years since joining this forum. How many? A few. OK, a lot. Maybe 1 too many. Every kind of model, every kind of color, any kind of mod you can think of?

I've probably seen it or something close to it.

You know which Les Pauls get to me at this point? The ones that really make me go "Damn, that's awesome.."

It's the Les Pauls that don't try to win the beauty pageant. It's the ugly ones. It's the Studios that have been beaten to hell. It's the old Norlins that are scarred and stained. It's the beater guitars with the mismatched hardware. It's the 1-offs that probably weren't cool when they were new...but someone still bought one and played it to hell and back again. I like those because someone has played the hell out of them and loved on ém. Granted, I know there's a few cats here who take pride in trying to recreate that...but you know somethin'? When it really comes down to it?

Yeah...you can tell. ;) Sorry man...but the wear and tear is never even on guitars like this.

So...carry on with your perfectly aged reproductions or your brand spankin' new guitars. Hit me up when someone posts something old, that doesn't look cool at all, and that has some battle scars on it. Hell, it might even have a few stickers on it too.

Those are the Most Beautiful Les Pauls. It's true enough that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but somethin' that has been loved on can't be denied.

Peace.

The problem with your take is that you would have either had to purchase one of those old beat up LP's when they were new 30 or 40 years ago which simply wasn't possible for many of us, OR spend the kind of money on one today that could purchase a house with what they cost. Many people showing off their "new" spankers hope to play them long enough to get to that state eventually but it takes time to break in a guitar if you don't want to throw it in the dryer with bleach like you fake old jeans. I can't afford a well worn 50's, 60's or even 70's guitar with what they are going for today so my choice is to get a newer one and play it. But even then I'm a drummer and I don't perform with my guitar so I may never be able to put the kind of wear on it a pro would, does that mean I souldn't buy a LP, or be proud of it? Your standard is devilishly hard for the average person to meet sorry to say. I know I'm keeping mine and I'll be as happy when they age whatever that means as I am now that they are only a couple years old. Remember those old beat up guitars started out new once, we all have to start somewhere in order to get to that lived in state one day, give us some time.

acstorfer

Reaction score
Mine MUST qualify for a respectable guitar. Checking all over, dents, although not a lot of visible wear. It's also been modified to hell and back.
52c85b02.jpg

This year it turned (turns) 40. Maybe next year????

It really is everything I want my guitar to be.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
The problem with your take.....

Uh, no, there is no problem with "my take". I'm allowed to have an opinion. And if it doesn't "Jive" with the majority of the forum....hey, too bad.

There's this thing called "free thinking" I'm not inclined to give up on any time soon.

Peace.

Mine MUST qualify for a respectable guitar. Checking all over, dents, although not a lot of visible wear. It's also been modified to hell and back.
52c85b02.jpg

This year it turned (turns) 40. Maybe next year????

It really is everything I want my guitar to be.

I like that. Dude...that's a fantastic guitar! :thumb:

NRBQ

Reaction score
Uh, no, there is no problem with "my take". I'm allowed to have an opinion. And if it doesn't "Jive" with the majority of the forum....hey, too bad.

There's this thing called "free thinking" I'm not inclined to give up on any time soon.

Peace.

Well I didn't mean it quite like that, I meant the problem with the reality of that take is that most just haven't had their guitars long enough to be really beat up and/or can't afford to purchase a vintage guitar with that kind of wear. I think lots of people love the old war horses but again many aren't old enough to have had one of the originals and who can afford them now? I have no problem with what you like or free thinking as I like to engage in it myself. Peace to you.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
Well I didn't mean it quite like that, I meant the problem with the reality of that take is that most just haven't had their guitars long enough to be really beat up and/or can't afford to purchase a vintage guitar with that kind of wear. I think lots of people love the old war horses but again many aren't old enough to have had one of the originals and who can afford them now? I have no problem with what you like or free thinking as I like to engage in it myself. Peace to you.

Well, you've got a good 20 or 30 years to beat the crap out of it. It should be lookin' pretty good by then! :thumb:

Fracture

Reaction score
There's not a mark on it. ;)

I like this better. This is one of Cookie Boy's guitars...

cookie-boy-albums-cookie-world-picture29336-140520105214.jpg

Sorry about that, Sentry.
I do like worn guitars, but the thread title just stuck in my head
and the first guitar I thought of was that PT.

In all honesty, something that shows some wear is actually
becoming more appealing to me.

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here's my "Plain Jane" player 'burst:

IMG_5344_900.jpg

Frank

Number6

Reaction score
I can appreciate a guitar in spite of damage...but not because of it.
Wear, chips and dings are just damage. Not mojo, IMO.

acstorfer

Reaction score
I can't afford a well worn 50's, 60's or even 70's guitar with what they are going for today.
I'm not sure if you're actually really interested, but 70's Les Pauls can still be had quite reasonably.

The Paul: Generally that can be had for under $1,000.00. At least the last time I looked.

Studio Standard: I'm thinking $1,200.00 max, but can be gotten much cheaper at times.

Les Paul Custom with original Kahler: Probably in the $1,800.00 part around town.

Les Paul Deluxe: In original condition, some examples are around for quite a few hundred under $2,000.00. Maybe some gold-tops are a bit above the $2,000.00 mark.

Les Paul Deluxe (modified): Here you're talking about a bit of range. I'd say anywhere between $1,200.00 to $1,500.00. Some of those mods may actually increase it's desirability to you, such as full size humbuckers replacing the original minis.

Les Paul Recording: Not really too up with prices, but it's always made me curious, nearly everyone I've seen up for sale had a headstock break.

Like I said, I'm not really sure if you actually do want a 70's Les Paul, I just wanted to demonstrate that there are still a few examples out there that are quite affordable.

InkedLester

Drippin with Blues Blood
Reaction score
I agree with the OP. A mint condition guitar may be artistic and wonderful; but a battle scared, sticker covered, road worn guitar will have better mojo any day.

kmrumedy

Reaction score
Here is my 1970 Norlin. Routed, plugged, swapped, and played to death.

Goldtop2002.jpg

NRBQ

Reaction score
I'm not sure if you're actually really interested, but 70's Les Pauls can still be had quite reasonably.

The Paul: Generally that can be had for under $1,000.00. At least the last time I looked.

Studio Standard: I'm thinking $1,200.00 max, but can be gotten much cheaper at times.

Les Paul Custom with original Kahler: Probably in the $1,800.00 part around town.

Les Paul Deluxe: In original condition, some examples are around for quite a few hundred under $2,000.00. Maybe some gold-tops are a bit above the $2,000.00 mark.

Les Paul Deluxe (modified): Here you're talking about a bit of range. I'd say anywhere between $1,200.00 to $1,500.00. Some of those mods may actually increase it's desirability to you, such as full size humbuckers replacing the original minis.

Les Paul Recording: Not really too up with prices, but it's always made me curious, nearly everyone I've seen up for sale had a headstock break.

Like I said, I'm not really sure if you actually do want a 70's Les Paul, I just wanted to demonstrate that there are still a few examples out there that are quite affordable.

Personally I much prefer to put my own mojo bumps bruises scrapes and dings on my guitar rather then buying one that someone else has worn in but that's just me. I have a Traditional Plus from 2010 and will take delivery on a brand new Deluxe Goldtop tomorrow and I hope to own both of them for the rest of my life. Many many years from now I fully expect they will have that lived in quality based on my own history with them and when the time comes I'll pass them on to the next person to play on. Even the old beat up guitars started new once, it just takes time if you want to do it the natural way. I always cringe when I see crazy expensive guitars that have been made to look old by the factory, I just can't see spending that kind of money on a fake old guitar. Get an old one, or get it new and beat it up yourself.

nauc

Reaction score
"I was born in 1968 with a curly umbilical cord like Hendrix had. The doctor cut the cord and plugged me straight into a 100w Marshall stack...... True story"

thats RnR! :dude: :D

Latest Threads