The Moderne - Holy Grail of Vintage Guitars

lowatter

Reaction score
Sorry Peter for all the likes I gave you this morning. I just can't help myself.:thumb:

pshupe

Reaction score
I sprayed the head stock black yesterday. I will be visiting a friend tonight to help set the neck. I have cut extra inlays with the intent to use as masks for at least two builds now. Then have forgotten to use them and end up having to scrape the pearl logo. This one was pretty simple to scrape as I made a large route and filled with black epoxy. I am going to try making holly veneers with the inlay in place next. That should make it easier to thickness prior to gluing on the head stock.

first srape -
IMG_1184.jpg

a few minutes later -
IMG_1185.jpg

I'm also working on finessing the neck profile.
IMG_1182.JPEG

Cheers Peter.

pshupe

Reaction score
I took a quick trip down to see @Freddy G and cook up some HHG and talk shop. Thanks Freddy that was a lot of fun.

Glued up the neck. I gotta make a few more cauls for neck clamping. I left a bunch of stuff over at another friend's place the day before so just used my long clamping caul. Looks a little funny but worked well.
IMG_1189.jpg

out of the clamp this morning and it looks great. "It's Alive". :dude:
IMG_1188.jpg

It's pretty funny that the gumby head stock looks huge in the picture. This is actually the thin one and it looks smaller in real life or IRL, as the kids say. Just learned that recently. :D

Cheers Peter.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took a quick trip down to see @Freddy G and cook up some HHG and talk shop. Thanks Freddy that was a lot of fun.

Glued up the neck. I gotta make a few more cauls for neck clamping. I left a bunch of stuff over at another friend's place the day before so just used my long clamping caul. Looks a little funny but worked well.
View attachment 540275

out of the clamp this morning and it looks great. "It's Alive". :dude:
View attachment 540276

It's pretty funny that the gumby head stock looks huge in the picture. This is actually the thin one and it looks smaller in real life or IRL, as the kids say. Just learned that recently. :D

Cheers Peter.
Actually the grownups say it too ;)

the build is looking very sweet.

Aamera phones distort images horribly because they are a wider angle via of the world. Not quit fish eye (different kind of fish eyes!) but still a fairly wide view.

When posting pix on my website I use a program called Adobe Lightroom to remove the lens distortion and that takes care of much of the problem. Not completely though, a camera is still a single point of view so it will never look like what we see with our eyes, but it can help with issues like the headstock appearing unnaturally large compared with the rest of the guitar...

pshupe

Reaction score
Actually the grownups say it too ;)
They should not! :naughty:

Aamera phones distort images horribly because they are a wider angle via of the world. Not quit fish eye (different kind of fish eyes!) but still a fairly wide view.
Yeah, that makes sense. I might have been slightly closer to the head stock as I was taking the picture from eye height but it shouldn't have been that distorted. I should try my real camera.

Cheers Peter

pshupe

Reaction score
Drilled some test holes for bushings. I find that depending on the wood I am using I can change out the drill bit by 1mm or 1/32" or so. Ideally I want the press in force about the same for each type of wood. I take the offcuts from the body and drill, press, and remove the bushings to find the right size drill bit.
tailpiece01.JPEG

I have a set of metric and imperial bolts and cut off rod just smaller than than the threaded hole in the bushing. Then I can press in the bushing and wind the threaded bolt in to pull the bushing. Taking it out gives me a good idea regarding the hole size as well.

tailpiece02.JPEG

I also test the tailpiece for center to center on the posts. I can then be confident it will fit perfectly on the body.
tailpiece03.JPEG

I drill with some tape as a depth stop on my brad point bit and then wind the bolts into the bushings and turn a drill bit upside down to press them in. I use a carpet on my drill press table. One thing to remember is to drill and place ground wire in the bushing hole before pressing in the bushing. Although it's not a big deal to take the bushing out, I do not like to take them out unless necessary.

tailpiece04.JPEG

Test fit tailpiece and bridge. So far, so good.

Regards Peter.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drilled some test holes for bushings. I find that depending on the wood I am using I can change out the drill bit by 1mm or 1/32" or so. Ideally I want the press in force about the same for each type of wood. I take the offcuts from the body and drill, press, and remove the bushings to find the right size drill bit.
View attachment 541525

I have a set of metric and imperial bolts and cut off rod just smaller than than the threaded hole in the bushing. Then I can press in the bushing and wind the threaded bolt in to pull the bushing. Taking it out gives me a good idea regarding the hole size as well.

View attachment 541527

I also test the tailpiece for center to center on the posts. I can then be confident it will fit perfectly on the body.
View attachment 541528

I drill with some tape as a depth stop on my brad point bit and then wind the bolts into the bushings and turn a drill bit upside down to press them in. I use a carpet on my drill press table. One thing to remember is to drill and place ground wire in the bushing hole before pressing in the bushing. Although it's not a big deal to take the bushing out, I do not like to take them out unless necessary.

View attachment 541529

Test fit tailpiece and bridge. So far, so good.

Regards Peter.

Looking great :)
Cool to see different style guitars.

Do you keep that carpet under it on the drill press? I usually keep things firmly on the table. Even firm carpet can allow microscopic movement which could translate into infinitesimally enlarged holes. That would be my fear anyway, so I'm just careful not to dent the body up when its on there :)

pshupe

Reaction score
Looking great :)
Cool to see different style guitars.

Do you keep that carpet under it on the drill press? I usually keep things firmly on the table. Even firm carpet can allow microscopic movement which could translate into infinitesimally enlarged holes. That would be my fear anyway, so I'm just careful not to dent the body up when its on there :)
Yes I do keep the carpet on there, but I use it for the test piece as well. Hasn't seemed to make a difference. TBH I haven't thought about it. Now that you mention it, I might create a smooth hard surface for the drill press for that reason. Thanks :thumbs:

Cheers Peter.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I do keep the carpet on there, but I use it for the test piece as well. Hasn't seemed to make a difference. TBH I haven't thought about it. Now that you mention it, I might create a smooth hard surface for the drill press for that reason. Thanks :thumbs:

Cheers Peter.
It might just be a case of "Any difference that makes no difference is no difference" but I try and eliminate variables wherever possible.

pshupe

Reaction score
:thumbs:
It might just be a case of "Any difference that makes no difference is no difference" but I try and eliminate variables wherever possible.
Yeah - I use a very sharp brad point bit and just let the bit cut. It would not compress the carpet but I could see if I pressed hard that the body may rock and deform the hole slightly. The carpet is quite hard with short fibres, so that may be why I have not had an issue. The body pretty much always sits on carpet while I'm working and it's easy to bring the carpet with it to the drill press. Definitely not an issue and helpful when pressing in the bushings. No dents when sitting on the carpet.

Regards Peter.

pshupe

Reaction score
On to finish sanding now prior to pore filling. My wife just bought me a new dust extractor for my sander recently. Nice to not have dust all over the place.
finishsand01.JPEG

back

finishsand03.JPEG

Here's a shot you can really see the wide angle Iphone camera. I think it looks cool even though it's very skewed.
finishsand04.JPEG

Cheers Peter.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
On to finish sanding now prior to pore filling. My wife just bought me a new dust extractor for my sander recently. Nice to not have dust all over the place.
View attachment 541772

back

View attachment 541774

Here's a shot you can really see the wide angle Iphone camera. I think it looks cool even though it's very skewed.
View attachment 541775

Cheers Peter.
One way Ive found to reduce (not eliminate) that wide angle lens issue is to stand back farther and zoom in closer. That can cause the image to appear grainy in low light though...

Johan79

Reaction score
You’re almost done with this one. Onto the next : an explorer!
I’m jealous of your Mirka orbital sander. Mine is a crapy cheap turd.

pshupe

Reaction score
Quick trip down the road to hang out with @Freddy G for the afternoon. Got some invaluable finish sanding tips. Thanks Freddy. Also sprayed some sealer coats of nitro pre-pore filler. Nice to see the wood under finish for the first time. Turns out the quarter sawn one piece mahogany neck has some figure in it. Gotta like that.

Pictures are a bit washed out but the spray booth lighting and my Iphone aren't great for photos but awesome for spraying finish.

IMG_1227.JPEG

IMG_1228.JPEG

Cheers Peter.

Johan79

Reaction score
I love that natural golden color. It will be a beauty. I wonder why are you masking the sides of the fretboard?

lowatter

Reaction score
Lookin' awesome Peter. These guitars look like they're rockin' standing still, don't they? :dude:

pshupe

Reaction score
I love that natural golden color. It will be a beauty. I wonder why are you masking the sides of the fretboard?
Because I'm really just spraying a light coat of nitro before I pore fill. I guess I could have just done the top of the fret board but it's quicker to run down the side and not have to worry about lacquer getting on the board. TBH I didn't give it much thought. ;-)

Cheers Peter.

pshupe

Reaction score

Latest Threads