The Moderne - Holy Grail of Vintage Guitars

pshupe

Reaction score
The epoxy is suitably cured now and I mark the head stock with pencil so I do not take any thickness off the holly. Starts off as a big blob.
IMG_1144.JPEG

and then uncover the pearl
IMG_1145.JPEG

I also filed back the edge on the holly veneer to accommodate the nut.

Cheers Peter.

Last edited:

pshupe

Reaction score
Onto the fret board. It's actually quite smooth off the CNC so I only need a few swipes of working my way through the grits to polish up the board. I use a Stew Mac aluminum sanding beam and a custom made push stick from my jointer in my "Frett Radius Jig". The misspelled jig is in quote because a friend of mine passed away quite a few years ago now. He is actually the person that got me into building. He was a horrible speller and I have a lot of his tools. The misspelled jig is in quotes because I chuckle every time I use it.

IMG_1146.JPEG

I have a clip full of sand paper cut to the correct size for my beam from 40 - 400 grit. This board was pretty smooth already so I started with 100 grit. I mark the top of the board with coloured pencil and stop when all the marks are gone.
IMG_1147.JPEG

Then onto fretting. I got all my fretting tools out and have them ready to hopefully make quick work of that job tomorrow.
IMG_1148.JPEG

Cheers Peter.

pshupe

Reaction score
Frets are done. All pressed in and filed flush.
IMG_1155.JPEG

Also starting to look at neck and body fit. Neck joint looks good so I cut out pup route from tenon.

IMG_1153.JPEG

I'll glue up fret board then fine tune neck details and will shave off long tenon after I glue the neck in.

Quick mock up -
IMG_1151.JPEG

Cheers Peter.

Johan79

Reaction score
Super clean bravo! You cut the pickup route and tenon before the neck gluing? I plan to do it after

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Billy Gibbons claims to have one, but I've heard rumors that it's a re-badged copy...

Nice work so far - can't wait to see it done! :)

pshupe

Reaction score
You cut the pickup route and tenon before the neck gluing? I plan to do it after

Order of operations differ. I've been experimenting with different processes. I can mark it with a pencil and cut it out in about 10 mins with my cross cut saw and chisels. I will fine tune after gluing in. Are you going to glue the neck in first then cut the pup route then glue on the fret board? If you glue the fret board on the neck first, it's pretty hard to get a router in there to cut the pocket. Recipe for disaster if something slips.

Cheers Peter.

pshupe

Reaction score
Billy Gibbons claims to have one, but I've heard rumors that it's a re-badged copy...

Nice work so far - can't wait to see it done! :)
Thanks. I have heard that about BG having one. I'd be surprised if it is true but you never know.

Cheers Peter.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I have heard that about BG having one. I'd be surprised if it is true but you never know.
JoeB having one would be more credible.

pshupe

Reaction score
Nice glue-up caul.
Thanks. Yes it is important to have a caul with a little forward bow when you are using a one-way rod. Generally flat is fine. String pressure "should" force a slight forward bow or relief. Worse case the neck is flat or back bowed slightly with it strung up and you are stuck because the one way rod can only introduce more back bow.

I'm shooting for 15 - 20/1000" then adjust flat for fret leveling then release a bit for some relief. Frankly I'd rather just use a two way rod but the caul works great also.

Cheers Peter.

Johan79

Reaction score
Thanks. Yes it is important to have a caul with a little forward bow when you are using a one-way rod. Generally flat is fine. String pressure "should" force a slight forward bow or relief. Worse case the neck is flat or back bowed slightly with it strung up and you are stuck because the one way rod can only introduce more back bow.

I'm shooting for 15 - 20/1000" then adjust flat for fret leveling then release a bit for some relief. Frankly I'd rather just use a two way rod but the caul works great also.

Cheers Peter.
Hi Peter, how much is the “gap” in your bowed fingerboard caul?

Maggot_Brain

Reaction score
Starting to get wood organized for these builds. I've been communicating with Ron quite a bit. As noted above, he wrote the book on the Moderne but also owns a few. He has one from the first batch of "re-issues" that Gibson did back in the early '80s and a couple of the Epiphone versions that were done more recently. We have been measuring and documenting everything we can. We may even have the guitar laser scanned at some point. Here are a few pics of his 80s Moderne. It's a beautiful guitar.

I picked up some Mahogany recently and also some Korina. I managed to find a couple of one piece body blanks and grabbed some Korina for necks and two piece bodies from a friend of mine. Thanks to Tom Bartlett for letting me raid his stash. ;-)

Cheers Peter.
Nice! I like that it has the super wide headstock. Does it have the string trees in the middle, diverting the strings from a straight pull to each tuner like the patent drawing shows? Isn't that on the Moderne?

pshupe

Reaction score
Hi Peter, how much is the “gap” in your bowed fingerboard caul?
I got the caul from Tom Bartlett. He actually sells them on his site. This one is slotted for rule of 18 scale so it clamps the board only. I think he sells ones that just have the forward bow built in, so you can use it for any scale length.

Regards Peter.

Johan79

Reaction score
I got the caul from Tom Bartlett. He actually sells them on his site. This one is slotted for rule of 18 scale so it clamps the board only. I think he sells ones that just have the forward bow built in, so you can use it for any scale length.

Regards Peter.
I saw those cauls on Tom’ website but it’s pricy to order this from Canada to France. Add shipping fees, VAT and the money extortion for custom clearance from Fedex or whatever transporter. I think I will painfully make one by myself.

pshupe

Reaction score
Cleaned up the glue squeeze out will a file and am happy with the join.
IMG_1160.JPEG

IMG_1181.JPEG

Installed side dots - I don't use a jig for this just measure first and last dot and line them up with a ruler trying to keep them centered and straight.
IMG_1176.JPEG

all the holes drill and ready for dots -
IMG_1177.JPEG

trimmed and sanded -
IMG_1183.JPEG

Cheers Peter.

Latest Threads