The MIJ Compatability Thread: Helping you find the MIJ LP you've been searching for.

Greco

Reaction score
Nice. :yesway:

I have added it to my watch list.
Glad to hear you liked it! I'm happy I was able to help. If you would like, I can search for more models. Although I must admit, I don't think there will be any under $1,000. I'm willing to try though.

mdubya

Reaction score
Glad to hear you liked it! I'm happy I was able to help. If you would like, I can search for more models. Although I must admit, I don't think there will be any under $1,000. I'm willing to try though.

I can see a good ball park in which to be looking.

I have a Tokai on my watch list, too. It is in a very similar price range. (actually, it is on tgp, not reverb, but still watching).

It also gives me plenty to think about as I am on the lookout for a couple of different options in the $1k to $2k range. ~$800 is easier to justify than ~$1500.

I did just score a new (to me) guitar earlier this month, though, so I am probably sitting tight until an offer I can't refuse presents itself.

Thanks for your help and guidance. :yesway:

Greco

Reaction score
Hey guys! I was hoping more people would use this thread but I guess my idea failed. Maybe we can get a mod to sticky the thread? I dunno what do you guys think?

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking for a nitro/lacquer finished double cut Junior in tv yellow. Strongly prefer an open book headstock shape and a medium/59 profile as opposed to a baseball bat. Bigger frets is a plus - cool premiums like Honduran mahogany or whatever is a plus too, but not necessary. Brazilian board and hide glue neck joint would be excellent.

Budget is pretty flexible - I need to retire my original 58 dc because it just makes me anxious to take out of the house these days. It would ideally not cost anywhere near a CS option from Gibson for a similar guitar.

Since some of you are so savvy on digging these up, I am open to providing a finders fee for the right piece.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking for a nitro/lacquer finished double cut Junior in tv yellow. Strongly prefer an open book headstock shape and a medium/59 profile as opposed to a baseball bat. Bigger frets is a plus - cool premiums like Honduran mahogany or whatever is a plus too, but not necessary. Brazilian board and hide glue neck joint would be excellent.

Budget is pretty flexible - I need to retire my original 58 dc because it just makes me anxious to take out of the house these days. It would ideally not cost anywhere near a CS option from Gibson for a similar guitar.

Since some of you are so savvy on digging these up, I am open to providing a finders fee for the right piece.

I'd think Edwards or Bacchus/Deviser for something similar to what you'd need. A good gigging guitar and if necessary a club for drunks. For a Braz board you might have to look harder. For a neck you want you'd have to ask what years have what.

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
I'd think Edwards or Bacchus/Deviser for something similar to what you'd need. A good gigging guitar and if necessary a club for drunks. For a Braz board you might have to look harder. For a neck you want you'd have to ask what years have what.

Nothing but an 88 Greco with an added abr out there right now by the looks of it. Some super inflated examples but at that point I could grab an equivalent Gibson.

Always appreciate your feedback!

J-Dizzle

Reaction score
Yeah Bacchus did a run of these but not sure of the neck size. Bacchus necks can often be notoriously huge.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
I'd ask around about one like this. No affiliation, fair price against a Gibson.

JayBrecker

Reaction score
Stoked that I found this thread and hope to get some collective smarts on this because the actual model designations of the MIJ LP guitars over the years still make no sense to me.

Looking to find a great gigging MIJ LP with:
-a somewhat conventional headstock shape (open book preferred)
-fattish chunky '50s style neck
-gold top preferred, but other natrual-ish colors fine, too (no clownburst or electric blue or green)
-rosewood board
-under $1,500 USD
-here's the kicker: mini-humbuckers or, worst case, P90s that I can change to mini-hums

While I don't dislike Gibson stuff (I have a fantastic ES335 Natural I bought recently), they cost far too much for the product quality and features I'd want.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 10.42.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 10.42.13 PM.png
    688.4 KB · Views: 5

greens

Reaction score
I'd be curious to see a list of which MIJ models (if any) are perfect burst spec, meaning all shapes correct, long tenon, nibs, Hondo/Braz/solid eastern maple flame cap, real nitro.

Last edited:

jimmyjames

Reaction score
Navigator or Momose may get up there, dunno if any cashew Toks had long tenon...

Guitarzandstuff

Reaction score
Well, I am looking for an LP Special with a neck as fat as the customshop versions (ie., 23mm or more at the 1st fret). Apparently the Tokai LSS is kind of in between 50s and 60s. The Crews LS02 SPL looks nice but is a 2 piece body and the bridge doesn't have the typical angle. Have heard the Edwards Specials have necks on the thinner side. The new Gibson original series specials look pretty good but still up there in price considering the exchange rate and shipping to Aus. Not sure what is left.
I have a Burny Rock and Roll Special that has a baseball bat neck!! Love it and would love to find a Jr of the same ilk!

Peter Mac

Reaction score
You guys are really missing out not looking at the Tokai range of MIJ Love Rocks and the Burny FLG. These are all high quality builds with both Poly and Nitro finishes offered. Like all Japanese guitars the model number refers to the original retail price. a Greco EG600 would have cost 600yen retail in say 1980, a Tokai LS60 would have cost the same, Burny FLG-60 the same.
Rule of thumb prior to 1995 is generally if the number is below an 80 or 800, it is poly. Higher numbers are nitro : Tokai LS-120 , Greco EG 1200, Burny FLG120. One interesting point is that both Tokai and Burny built their LP Custom models with all Mahogany bodies, as were the 1954 - 1960 Gibson LPC. Greco and Orville by Gibson did not. Photo is of my Tokai LC-60 - an all mahogany LPC from 1982 which is absolutely killer next to my 2009 R9Q

Attachments

• received_445173970654965.jpeg
    received_445173970654965.jpeg
    30 KB · Views: 6

smk506

Reaction score
Stoked that I found this thread and hope to get some collective smarts on this because the actual model designations of the MIJ LP guitars over the years still make no sense to me.

Looking to find a great gigging MIJ LP with:
-a somewhat conventional headstock shape (open book preferred)
-fattish chunky '50s style neck
-gold top preferred, but other natrual-ish colors fine, too (no clownburst or electric blue or green)
-rosewood board
-under $1,500 USD
-here's the kicker: mini-humbuckers or, worst case, P90s that I can change to mini-hums

While I don't dislike Gibson stuff (I have a fantastic ES335 Natural I bought recently), they cost far too much for the product quality and features I'd want.

Thanks!

Hey Jay! Check out the newer Tokais. There’s a few models that will work for you if you’re ok swapping the p90’s out.

This one will save you some bucks, and you can message the seller and see which of the two they have listed has the biggger neck.

Worth keeping in mind their gold top is different from gibsons, the color is brighter and the flake is larger so if you have to play authentic, this only gets you close.

I haven’t seen a lot of MIJ Deluxe models? I have one from Vorg and I’ve seen pics of another one from them, but that’s it. I’d guess someone made them in some appreciable number at some point though.

Lumi71

Reaction score
I haven’t seen a lot of MIJ Deluxe models? I have one from Vorg and I’ve seen pics of another one from them, but that’s it. I’d guess someone made them in some appreciable number at some point though.

Attachments

• CIMG3696.png
    CIMG3696.png
    546.8 KB · Views: 8
  • CIMG3685.JPG
    CIMG3685.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 9
  • CIMG3682.png
    CIMG3682.png
    496.9 KB · Views: 9

Drew224

"Obvious BS Artist"
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you're looking for a poor man's R9 and see a Tokai HLS model come up, jump on it. Those are the ones Hibiki had made for them, from what I understand they have Tokai COAs but they weren't built by Tokai. I tried finding more info on this "super shop" that built them but couldn't get much.

These things are killer. They have monster tops, dark boards, thin finishes, they feel great in the hands, and they really do that telecaster on steroids thing people talk about when discussing vintage Les Pauls. This guitar reminds me of the tele I had with a stacked rail bridge pickup. Except unlike the tele this one sounds and feels right. There is a really good looking one that was listed on reverb today but it's a local pickup only so unless you want to drive to California or can convince that guy to ship it, that's probably not an option.

JayBrecker

Reaction score
Hey Jay! Check out the newer Tokais. There’s a few models that will work for you if you’re ok swapping the p90’s out.

This one will save you some bucks, and you can message the seller and see which of the two they have listed has the biggger neck.

Worth keeping in mind their gold top is different from gibsons, the color is brighter and the flake is larger so if you have to play authentic, this only gets you close.

smk506: Thx!

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
If you're looking for a poor man's R9 and see a Tokai HLS model come up, jump on it. Those are the ones Hibiki had made for them, from what I understand they have Tokai COAs but they weren't built by Tokai. I tried finding more info on this "super shop" that built them but couldn't get much.

These things are killer. They have monster tops, dark boards, thin finishes, they feel great in the hands, and they really do that telecaster on steroids thing people talk about when discussing vintage Les Pauls. This guitar reminds me of the tele I had with a stacked rail bridge pickup. Except unlike the tele this one sounds and feels right. There is a really good looking one that was listed on reverb today but it's a local pickup only so unless you want to drive to California or can convince that guy to ship it, that's probably not an option.

I think what you are thinking of is this.

Latest Threads