The MIJ Compatability Thread: Helping you find the MIJ LP you've been searching for.

Greco

Reaction score
Hey guys!

So I had an idea pop up when another member of our little MIJ community said he wanted suggestions on MIJ guitars. I then had the idea where instead of people making individual threads, why not make one consolidated thread where the new guys would like help on what model they are "searching for" with the specifications they would like and the experts could help them pair up with the model that suits their liking. So here are a few rules for this thread:

1. THIS IS NOT THE MIJ CLASSIFIEDS THREAD!!! If you would like to buy, sell, and trade gear please see that thread. This thread is strictly for helping you find the guitar model for you!

2. This is not the Identification thread. If you have questions about a particular model that you saw on TV, in a film etc. please see that thread as the experienced members there are eager and helpful to always lend a hand.

3. Please remember that MIJ guitars all are a little different. If you have a particular interest or disinterest in a particular brand, please feel free to mention it when you bring up your preferred specifications.

4. Any type of bullying, harassment etc. is not allowed in this thread. Please follow community guidelines.

5. Be reasonable when listing specifications. We will not be able to help you when it comes to certain specifications such as the finish on a guitar. We can suggest guitars on Reverb, eBay, Mercari etc. but we can not find the exact guitar you may be looking for. Find the connection!!

6. Help out the community when it comes to searching! Please have as much details in your post about what you prefer when you play. From pickups down to the style of music you prefer! Every detail will help us find a good match for you!

Well guys, I hope this thread will help people out. I believe this is a fantastic idea and will have some good come out of it (maybe it will eventually be pinned who knows?). I hope I don't get any hate for my idea, as the last thing I would ever want would be to upset the community. Hope this thread helps!!

MauiCliff

Reaction score
Good luck with the thread!... it's a good idea.

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
Well, I am looking for an LP Special with a neck as fat as the customshop versions (ie., 23mm or more at the 1st fret). Apparently the Tokai LSS is kind of in between 50s and 60s. The Crews LS02 SPL looks nice but is a 2 piece body and the bridge doesn't have the typical angle. Have heard the Edwards Specials have necks on the thinner side. The new Gibson original series specials look pretty good but still up there in price considering the exchange rate and shipping to Aus. Not sure what is left.

Greco

Reaction score
Well, I am looking for an LP Special with a neck as fat as the customshop versions (ie., 23mm or more at the 1st fret). Apparently the Tokai LSS is kind of in between 50s and 60s. The Crews LS02 SPL looks nice but is a 2 piece body and the bridge doesn't have the typical angle. Have heard the Edwards Specials have necks on the thinner side. The new Gibson original series specials look pretty good but still up there in price considering the exchange rate and shipping to Aus. Not sure what is left.
So currently your specifications is a LP Special type guitar with P90s. The width of the neck must be around or at least 23mm at the first fret. The 23mm may be a bit challenging but who doesn't love a challenge right?

Hmmm, off the top of my head I'm thinking about looking at some Greco guitars as they are usually the first guitars I look at when it comes to MIJ copies. I can translate the Greco catalogs and see which collection of guitars has the closest specifications. Please keep in mind that this will take time. I won't lie, I'm not an expert (and I just joined) but I'm a really fast learner and tend to pick up quickly. Lemme see what I can do alright?

Update: Right away, I found an LP Special styled guitar from Greco. The model is an EGS 56-60. The common finish I've seen is a TV Yellow, which seems common for LP Specials as far as I can tell. Now I will try to see if there are any for sale.

Update 2: I found a LP Special Greco copy. Its not the model I mentioned above, but it looks the part. Would this work?

Last edited:

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
23mm thickness, not width. (This would be like the R8 neck thickness.) I think most of the Greco specials are on the thin side. The specific one you linked to is much more recent and made the same way the Ornetts are. It doesn't have neck binding or the correct headstock but is probably still good. I missed an early 80s special last year on YJ. Regret not bidding on it.

JDZ

Reaction score
23mm thickness, not width. (This would be like the R8 neck thickness.) I think most of the Greco specials are on the thin side. The specific one you linked to is much more recent and made the same way the Ornetts are. It doesn't have neck binding or the correct headstock but is probably still good. I missed an early 80s special last year on YJ. Regret not bidding on it.

Would you consider an '82 Greco Jr single cut with 'Super Real' headstock?
22 mm @ 1st fret, 1 X P-90

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
Would you consider an '82 Greco Jr single cut with 'Super Real' headstock?
22 mm @ 1st fret, 1 X P-90

Sounds cool but I actually have a set of Mojotone silent P90s I had planned to put into a special. For some reason, they didn't fit into my Ornetts goldtop. Have always wanted a Jr. though. Let me know what kind of $ you are thinking.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
I've always heard the Burny rock and roll jr's and specials had a chunker for a neck but i can't do basic math. Here's the specs for one in Imperial, if you can convert to mm you'd get an idea.

therealfrogman

A fool and his money....
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really good idea!! Great contribution young man :jam:

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
ere's the specs for one in Imperial, if you can convert to mm you'd get an idea.

I have seen those before. Appreciate the thought though. I think people keep mistaking width for thickness. The only thickness detail that provides is "C profile". My guess is that they only MIJ specials will be Bacchus, or Navigator (rare).

Last edited:

mdubya

Reaction score
LP Goldtop P-90

Less than $1000

Nitro

Long tenon

Dark back a plus but not 100% necessary

medium neck (or larger), close to 1 -11/16" nut

Roxy13

Reaction score
Just to help, to convert mm to inches divide by 25.4.

To convert inches to mm, first make your inches a decimal instead of a fraction. So for example if you have something like 1 11/16, you divide the 11 by 16 and then add that decimal to the 1. Then you can multiply by 25.4 to change it to mm.

Greco

Reaction score
LP Goldtop P-90

Less than $1000

Nitro

Long tenon

Dark back a plus but not 100% necessary

medium neck (or larger), close to 1 -11/16" nut
Another good challenge!! The reason why I say challenge for this one is because the goldtop models are highly saught after and they get pricey (above your $1,000 price limit) most gold tops I come across is the EG800GS which are a mixed bag between amazing condition and really crappy. But remember that’s just Greco. I can look up some other brands if you’d like. Do you have preference?

mdubya

Reaction score
Another good challenge!! The reason why I say challenge for this one is because the goldtop models are highly saught after and they get pricey (above your $1,000 price limit) most gold tops I come across is the EG800GS which are a mixed bag between amazing condition and really crappy. But remember that’s just Greco. I can look up some other brands if you’d like. Do you have preference?

No brand preference.

I am always shopping for killer deals to justify my purchase, however, I am not savvy enough with MIJ stuff to know if I am looking at a killer deal or not. @swampblues has offered up some great guitars, but never the right P-90 at the right time.

BTW - the TV yellow Special posted above is tempting, too. o.o

Point being, nothing in my requirements is hard and fast.

Greco

Reaction score
No brand preference.

I am always shopping for killer deals to justify my purchase, however, I am not savvy enough with MIJ stuff to know if I am looking at a killer deal or not. @swampblues has offered up some great guitars, but never the right P-90 at the right time.

BTW - the TV yellow Special posted above is tempting, too. o.o

Point being, nothing in my requirements is hard and fast.
Well I found a bacchus but it’s around $1,500. It looks in great shape and I think it’s worth it.

Bacchus Live Road 1956 BLS-95S / 120S Singlecut Gold Top
https://reverb.com/item/1482737-bac...-gold-top?utm_source=ios-app&utm_medium=share
1568306395555.png

JDZ

Reaction score
I have an '80 Greco EG 800 Gold Top, all original, with P-90's.

These are pretty rare as they are nitro, deluxe tuners and if I remember real mother of pearl inlay. If you look through the models, these were short lived. Super real era neck profile too.

Guitar is really nice except prior owner peeled sticker off top - and finish with it. Heat gun or hair dryer would easily have avoided.

It was listed as one owner, played for two or three years then put in storage. Condition looks like that.

Would be a bit above your budget, but much less than if top was perfect.

Latest Threads